Join Early Retirement Today

1 out of 4 Americans have a criminal record!
Old 03-24-2011, 09:45 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1 out of 4 Americans have a criminal record!

I'm posting this, because this is on Yahoo this morning and I am so blown away by the number. Are they kidding? One in 4 Americans has a hard time getting a job because of their criminal record? Where have I been? In LaLa Land? It wouldn't even occur to me that someone's done prison time normally. Wow...I'm sitting here just stunned at that:

Help wanted — sixty-five million need not apply - Yahoo! News
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I'm posting this, because this is on Yahoo this morning and I am so blown away by the number. Are they kidding? One in 4 Americans has a hard time getting a job because of their criminal record?
"Candidates must be able to pass: background check (no felonies or misdemeanors)," reads one ad placed by the bailed-out banking giant Bank of America. "Do not apply with any misdemeanors/felonies," warns another.
Now recall that other thread, about Texas schoolchildren getting class C misdemeanor tickets. Now connect the dots.

Note that under current law, it may be possible for the record to be expunged or sealed at age 18. This affects only the courthouse record, and not the copies of records that are sold to private investigation and reporting companies, the ones used by non-government employers. Those will typically carry both the old record of the misdemeanor and the subsequent changes.

http://cbsdallas.files.wordpress.com...ooklet_web.pdf
  • The most common misdemeanors for which students are ticketed in Texas public schools are non-violent Disruption of Class or Transportation, Disorderly Conduct, and curfew violations (leaving campus without permission)—however, unlike juvenile court, children convicted or entering “guilty or no contest” pleas in municipal and justice courts have criminal records.
  • Legislation (SB 1056) adopted by the 81st Texas Legislature in 2009 mandated criminal courts (including municipal and justice courts) immediately issue a nondisclosure order upon the conviction of a child for a misdemeanor offense punishable by fine only, however due to the large volume of these cases and the burden on courts to clear Class C tickets through the Texas Department of Public Safety, the “non-disclosure law” is not working—and Class C misdemeanors are staying on a youth’s “criminal record” accessible by future employers and others.
The trend to criminalize has been going on for a long time. Even those Objectivists noticed this a while back.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

They'll just have to go into show business. Or finance.

Actually, some of us didn't get caught.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Oh my god!

Now, that explains the behavior of people around me. I am totally surrounded! Time to go into the "mountains".

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a lender for a small town credit union and fequently we see loan applicants (over 40 years old) with a blank credit profile. our next step is to search the state parole / prison website, and you would not believe how many times we find our applicant has been a guest of the state for the last decade.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I worked for a computer networking company in the 80s and we won a big contract with the police dept. To work on the project required most of us to go though a security clearance. Many just quit as they knew they would not pass.

That was an eye opener for me.
e86s54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:13 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I don't have a criminal record (are you kidding?), and neither does F. My former co-workers didn't have criminal records either, because they all had to have a security clearance. Same with his former co-workers.

The rest of you can, uh, go sit over there and discuss, while I doublecheck the deadbolts on my doors.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Beat the low level offenders with a cane, and wipe their record clean, so they can get jobs and stay off public assistance!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:25 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
The rest of you can, uh, go sit over there and discuss, while I doublecheck the deadbolts on my doors.
Just think, eh, that you have been exchanging posts with some ex-cons?

But you have nothing to fear from me, as I have never worked for the government but have been involved in works that required security clearance. And I do not even know where you live.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Beat the low level offenders with a cane, and wipe their record clean, so they can get jobs and stay off public assistance!
Great idea!

I say we can raise some money by auctioning the right to cane the offenders. There are people I would like to cane myself. Let's start with DUI.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
There are a fair number of 'criminals' caught in this situation whose big mistake was being an 18 year old at a party that was busted for alcohol. That's enough for an 'underage in possession' wobbler. If lucky, it's charged as an infraction. If the DA or sheriff has competition for re-election, it gets charged as a misdemeanor ("Tough on crime!").

The usual 'dumb kid' maneuver is to plead guilty or 'no contest', pay the fine, and later discover he's now unemployable. A better move is to plead not guilty and ask for a public defender. On a first offense that should lead to a diversion program and no misdemeanor on the record.

Yeah, I think we criminalize too damn many people. It's stupid, expensive, but looks really good in that "Tough on Crime!" re-election literature. I've also been stuck on jury duty on cases that should never have been in court, courtesy of that "Tough on Crime!" idiot DA. (Yes, we acquitted after spending a few days listening in disbelief.)
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by e86s54 View Post
I worked for a computer networking company in the 80s and we won a big contract with the police dept. To work on the project required most of us to go though a security clearance. Many just quit as they knew they would not pass.

That was an eye opener for me.
I negotiate contracts for a living and often see drug testing as part of a background check provision. You can't imagine the pushback I get internally...from executives.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Just think, eh, that you have been exchanging posts with some ex-cons?

But you have nothing to fear from me, as I have never worked for the government but have been involved in works that required security clearance. And I do not even know where you live.
That's a relief. Of course, that could have been years ago....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:53 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

DH had a background check done for a volunteer position and was called in to explain how he had been in prison for murder and armed robbery and was currently dead. SS numbers mixed up, similar name. I hope.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Actually, some of us didn't get caught.
Quote:
I don't have a criminal record (are you kidding?), and neither does F.
I've never been caught either.

Sounds like a great ER planning tool...

Sounds like an interesting way to get out of jury duty, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I've also been stuck on jury duty on cases that should never have been in court, courtesy of that "Tough on Crime!" idiot DA. (Yes, we acquitted after spending a few days listening in disbelief.)
I did one of those last July and convicted a guy for possessing a fraction of a gram of crystal methamphetamine in a pipe.

During the trial (especially during the defense attorney's objections, and the occasional offhand police witness remark) it was clear that the defendant had done things that were much worse than this, and had succeeded in pissing off most of the Honolulu Police Dept. I don't know if he actually had to go to trial on those other issues (if indeed they had the probable cause or evidence to do so) but it was pretty clear that they wanted him off the streets.

I wonder if some of these mock trials are just for the purpose of awarding a third strike. I don't recall whether Hawaii has that law.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I don't have a criminal record (are you kidding?), and neither does F.
Are you sure? Have you or Frank ever got a speeding ticket?
sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Clean as a whistle here. I had to be to be a defense contractor and then employed as a DoD civil servant for 18+ years.

I've only had 3 traffic tickets
1. stop sign roll-thru on campus
2. a speeding ticket driving like a bat outta h*ll to get Harry Chapin tickets in Delhi NY in between classes and college work study at night), and
3. a cell phone ticket when I first got it in 2005. It was the first and only time I ever answered it while at the wheel, but the state trooper who saw me wouldn't cut me a break.

So you can ALL relax.

However, I am now FIREd and free as a bird (get it? huh? huh? ) to do what I want.
Shall I choose Illegal, Immoral, or Fattening? Touch choice...
Old 03-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Growing up as a kid, I had diplomatic immunity. I see now that this was a good thing since my record is clean.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Shall I choose Illegal, Immoral, or Fattening? Touch choice...
I'd like to hear about the immoral choices... That sounds more interesting.

Er, never mind. Andy surely wants to keep this forum PG-13, and it got awfully close to R-rated a few times.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #20
gone traveling

My 5th grade nun once said I did not have moral turpitude.

Does that count?

BTW, a speeding ticket does not fall under the felonies or misdemeanors label cited in the article W2R/F are good to go (back to w*rk, if they wish )...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote