Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-23-2010, 01:20 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I loved the Bucket List but they weren't really retired were they?

I completely agree with Martha about About Schmidt. You couldn't pay me to watch it again.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
Doh! How did I forget SHANE? It's my fave movie of all time and (strangely) the only western I really like.

Well, what'll it be? Lemon, strawberry or lilac, sodbuster?
I remember..when Callaway pours the whiskey on Shane.
(Callaway just fumigated a sodbuster).

Funny when we start reciting the lines and remeber all the scenes.

Near the end of the movies goes something like this ...

Shane: "I heard about you.."
Wilson: "What have you heard? Shane"
Shane: "I've heard that you're a lowdown Yankee Liar"
Wilson: "Prove It!"

pause..then
*** the shooting starts ****

...Shane..Look out!
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Near the end of the movie goes something like this ...
I think you nailed the lines exactly!
Old 02-23-2010, 03:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Man, I hated About Schmidt. A nasty movie about a nasty man. Gran Torino should have been on the list. The nasty man redeems himself.

And I loved that movie! Wow...guess that's why God invented both chocolate AND vanilla.

Good grief...am I the ONLY woman here who liked About Schmidt
Old 02-24-2010, 02:18 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Lusting for Sophia Loren
I havent seen the movie in years, but the vision of her walking into the bar with that red dress is etched in my brain. - and Walter Mathau said it best - "holy moli"
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:44 PM   #26

High Noon is one of the greatest films ever. Never thought of it as an early retirement film but it is!

Most of our lives are not so dramatic. Was going to retire but stayed on to make sure the TPS reports were correct!
Old 02-24-2010, 05:47 PM   #27

Quote:
And I loved that movie! Wow...guess that's why God invented both chocolate AND vanilla.

Good grief...am I the ONLY woman here who liked About Schmidt
I really liked this film in a dark sort of way. The point where he walked past his old files being thrown out was brutal.

Some of the comments on this board where people say they left under their own terms. Yeah, sure.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:54 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I loved the Bucket List but they weren't really retired were they?

I completely agree with Martha about About Schmidt. You couldn't pay me to watch it again.
I always had a suspicious feeling about it, so I'm glad I never watched it. Anyway - I can't really stand you-know-who (the actor who looks like a toad).

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:31 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

How about Dances With Wolves?
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:46 PM   #30

About Schmidt is a remarkable movie to me. It reflects that many, many people lead hollow, meaningless lives in their relationships to spouse and kids, to friends and especially work. Think of Death of A Salesman. Then the movie has contact with others that live life differently but not necessarily better. It is a dark film, like Grapes of Wrath but it is dark with humor. At first Schmidt is only vaguely aware of his existential crisis and it is painful to wake up a little. Speaking of pain, seeing Katy Bates naked is psychic trauma.
The image of watching a clock ticking away is effective, who hasn't watch a clock that way at school or work. And he does open up a least a bit in supporting a poor child overseas.
This is a great web board, a pretty conscious place, so I want to say "present company excluded" but I can relate to elements of this movie so maybe others can too.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:05 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudester View Post
The best retirement movie I've seen recently is "Up."
You are so right. . Up is my choice for the Oscars this year and it is about life after retirement.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:33 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
High Noon is one of the greatest films ever. Never thought of it as an early retirement film but it is!

Most of our lives are not so dramatic. Was going to retire but stayed on to make sure the TPS reports were correct!
drama is over rated

had some drama a few years back

happy to be back to boring
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:47 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Office Space...at least Milton made it to a nice Caribbean beach with all of those money orders. "I can take my money orders to a competing resort"

( I know...I never though of it as a retirement movie either until now, but...)

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:57 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

"Lost in America" and "Easy Rider". In Easy Rider they weren't quite retired but they didn't work so in my book it counts.

Both featured this song.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
About Schmidt is a remarkable movie to me. It reflects that many, many people lead hollow, meaningless lives in their relationships to spouse and kids, to friends and especially work. Think of Death of A Salesman. Then the movie has contact with others that live life differently but not necessarily better. It is a dark film, like Grapes of Wrath but it is dark with humor. At first Schmidt is only vaguely aware of his existential crisis and it is painful to wake up a little. Speaking of pain, seeing Katy Bates naked is psychic trauma.
The image of watching a clock ticking away is effective, who hasn't watch a clock that way at school or work. And he does open up a least a bit in supporting a poor child overseas.
This is a great web board, a pretty conscious place, so I want to say "present company excluded" but I can relate to elements of this movie so maybe others can too.
Pretty decent analysis, but I saw the bottom line to that movie as how Schmidt's life was essentially meaningless in his mind and it probably was; but, at the end, when he gets the letter from the international foster child he's been sending money to telling him how important the help Schmidt was sending was to him, he realizes that his life had some meaning to someone no matter how small a contribution.
I loved that movie myself! Can't understand why more on this board--particularly the women--didn't. Go figure?
Old 03-03-2010, 10:26 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
but, at the end, when he gets the letter from the international foster child he's been sending money to telling him how important the help Schmidt was sending was to him, he realizes that his life had some meaning to someone no matter how small a contribution.
I loved that movie myself! Can't understand why more on this board--particularly the women--didn't. Go figure?
Something that is not clear to me. I mean really, this forum is made up of people who mostly want to do nothing particularly important to anyone but themselves. Face it, ERs are not social heroes.

How was Schmidt's life any less meaningful than our lives are?

Maybe you are out saving lives like RIT, or some other very important jobs. Maybe you are creating very important software, or a new generation of airplanes. But most of us are just turning food into poop for 70, 80, 90 years. Maybe we have children and create another generation of poop producers, and some of them will do unusually socially useful things. But mostly we just live; and except for our families nobody much cares what we do unless we step outside the law and get into trouble. Our mark is measured by our love and kindness. I don't see that Schmidt was particularly unfeeling or unkind, just maybe a little less lucky than some are.

Maybe this is a good reason to believe in a god. No one is unimportant or useless to god.

Ha
Old 03-04-2010, 10:49 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Something that is not clear to me. I mean really, this forum is made up of people who mostly want to do nothing particularly important to anyone but themselves. Face it, ERs are not social heroes.

How was Schmidt's life any less meaningful than our lives are?

Maybe you are out saving lives like RIT, or some other very important jobs. Maybe you are creating very important software, or a new generation of airplanes. But most of us are just turning food into poop for 70, 80, 90 years. Maybe we have children and create another generation of poop producers, and some of them will do unusually socially useful things. But mostly we just live; and except for our families nobody much cares what we do unless we step outside the law and get into trouble. Our mark is measured by our love and kindness. I don't see that Schmidt was particularly unfeeling or unkind, just maybe a little less lucky than some are.

Maybe this is a good reason to believe in a god. No one is unimportant or useless to god.

Ha

Are you trying to cheer us up?