Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,375
I loved the Bucket List but they weren't really retired were they?

I completely agree with Martha about About Schmidt. You couldn't pay me to watch it again.
__________________

__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
Doh! How did I forget SHANE? It's my fave movie of all time and (strangely) the only western I really like.

Well, what'll it be? Lemon, strawberry or lilac, sodbuster?
I remember..when Callaway pours the whiskey on Shane.
(Callaway just fumigated a sodbuster).

Funny when we start reciting the lines and remeber all the scenes.


Near the end of the movies goes something like this ...

Shane: "I heard about you.."
Wilson: "What have you heard? Shane"
Shane: "I've heard that you're a lowdown Yankee Liar"
Wilson: "Prove It!"

pause..then
*** the shooting starts ****

...Shane..Look out!
__________________

__________________
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:50 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Onward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Near the end of the movie goes something like this ...
I think you nailed the lines exactly!
__________________
And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know.
Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:14 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Man, I hated About Schmidt. A nasty movie about a nasty man. Gran Torino should have been on the list. The nasty man redeems himself.

And I loved that movie! Wow...guess that's why God invented both chocolate AND vanilla.

Good grief...am I the ONLY woman here who liked About Schmidt
__________________
Please consider adopting a rescue animal. So very many need a furr-ever home and someone to love them! And if we all spay/neuter our pets there won't be an overpopulation to put to death.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:18 AM   #25
Moderator
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: A little ways southwest of Chicago
Posts: 9,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Lusting for Sophia Loren
I havent seen the movie in years, but the vision of her walking into the bar with that red dress is etched in my brain. - and Walter Mathau said it best - "holy moli"
__________________
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:44 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,038
High Noon is one of the greatest films ever. Never thought of it as an early retirement film but it is!

Most of our lives are not so dramatic. Was going to retire but stayed on to make sure the TPS reports were correct!
__________________
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:47 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
And I loved that movie! Wow...guess that's why God invented both chocolate AND vanilla.

Good grief...am I the ONLY woman here who liked About Schmidt
I really liked this film in a dark sort of way. The point where he walked past his old files being thrown out was brutal.

Some of the comments on this board where people say they left under their own terms. Yeah, sure.
__________________
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:54 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I loved the Bucket List but they weren't really retired were they?

I completely agree with Martha about About Schmidt. You couldn't pay me to watch it again.
I always had a suspicious feeling about it, so I'm glad I never watched it. Anyway - I can't really stand you-know-who (the actor who looks like a toad).

Audrey
__________________
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RunningBum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,193
How about Dances With Wolves?
__________________
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:46 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Pasadena CA
Posts: 2,695
About Schmidt is a remarkable movie to me. It reflects that many, many people lead hollow, meaningless lives in their relationships to spouse and kids, to friends and especially work. Think of Death of A Salesman. Then the movie has contact with others that live life differently but not necessarily better. It is a dark film, like Grapes of Wrath but it is dark with humor. At first Schmidt is only vaguely aware of his existential crisis and it is painful to wake up a little. Speaking of pain, seeing Katy Bates naked is psychic trauma.
The image of watching a clock ticking away is effective, who hasn't watch a clock that way at school or work. And he does open up a least a bit in supporting a poor child overseas.
This is a great web board, a pretty conscious place, so I want to say "present company excluded" but I can relate to elements of this movie so maybe others can too.
__________________
T.S. Eliot:
Old men ought to be explorers
yakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:05 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
clifp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudester View Post
The best retirement movie I've seen recently is "Up."
You are so right. . Up is my choice for the Oscars this year and it is about life after retirement.
__________________
clifp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ottawa and Fort Myers
Posts: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
High Noon is one of the greatest films ever. Never thought of it as an early retirement film but it is!

Most of our lives are not so dramatic. Was going to retire but stayed on to make sure the TPS reports were correct!
drama is over rated

had some drama a few years back

happy to be back to boring
__________________
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
mickeyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Texas~29N/98W
Posts: 5,884
Office Space...at least Milton made it to a nice Caribbean beach with all of those money orders. "I can take my money orders to a competing resort"

( I know...I never though of it as a retirement movie either until now, but...)
__________________
Part-Owner of Texas

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:57 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Purron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,584
"Lost in America" and "Easy Rider". In Easy Rider they weren't quite retired but they didn't work so in my book it counts.

Both featured this song.

__________________
I purr therefore I am.
Purron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
About Schmidt is a remarkable movie to me. It reflects that many, many people lead hollow, meaningless lives in their relationships to spouse and kids, to friends and especially work. Think of Death of A Salesman. Then the movie has contact with others that live life differently but not necessarily better. It is a dark film, like Grapes of Wrath but it is dark with humor. At first Schmidt is only vaguely aware of his existential crisis and it is painful to wake up a little. Speaking of pain, seeing Katy Bates naked is psychic trauma.
The image of watching a clock ticking away is effective, who hasn't watch a clock that way at school or work. And he does open up a least a bit in supporting a poor child overseas.
This is a great web board, a pretty conscious place, so I want to say "present company excluded" but I can relate to elements of this movie so maybe others can too.
Pretty decent analysis, but I saw the bottom line to that movie as how Schmidt's life was essentially meaningless in his mind and it probably was; but, at the end, when he gets the letter from the international foster child he's been sending money to telling him how important the help Schmidt was sending was to him, he realizes that his life had some meaning to someone no matter how small a contribution.
I loved that movie myself! Can't understand why more on this board--particularly the women--didn't. Go figure?
__________________
Please consider adopting a rescue animal. So very many need a furr-ever home and someone to love them! And if we all spay/neuter our pets there won't be an overpopulation to put to death.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:26 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
but, at the end, when he gets the letter from the international foster child he's been sending money to telling him how important the help Schmidt was sending was to him, he realizes that his life had some meaning to someone no matter how small a contribution.
I loved that movie myself! Can't understand why more on this board--particularly the women--didn't. Go figure?
Something that is not clear to me. I mean really, this forum is made up of people who mostly want to do nothing particularly important to anyone but themselves. Face it, ERs are not social heroes.

How was Schmidt's life any less meaningful than our lives are?

Maybe you are out saving lives like RIT, or some other very important jobs. Maybe you are creating very important software, or a new generation of airplanes. But most of us are just turning food into poop for 70, 80, 90 years. Maybe we have children and create another generation of poop producers, and some of them will do unusually socially useful things. But mostly we just live; and except for our families nobody much cares what we do unless we step outside the law and get into trouble. Our mark is measured by our love and kindness. I don't see that Schmidt was particularly unfeeling or unkind, just maybe a little less lucky than some are.

Maybe this is a good reason to believe in a god. No one is unimportant or useless to god.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Something that is not clear to me. I mean really, this forum is made up of people who mostly want to do nothing particularly important to anyone but themselves. Face it, ERs are not social heroes.

How was Schmidt's life any less meaningful than our lives are?

Maybe you are out saving lives like RIT, or some other very important jobs. Maybe you are creating very important software, or a new generation of airplanes. But most of us are just turning food into poop for 70, 80, 90 years. Maybe we have children and create another generation of poop producers, and some of them will do unusually socially useful things. But mostly we just live; and except for our families nobody much cares what we do unless we step outside the law and get into trouble. Our mark is measured by our love and kindness. I don't see that Schmidt was particularly unfeeling or unkind, just maybe a little less lucky than some are.

Maybe this is a good reason to believe in a god. No one is unimportant or useless to god.

Ha

Are you trying to cheer us up?
__________________

__________________
Please consider adopting a rescue animal. So very many need a furr-ever home and someone to love them! And if we all spay/neuter our pets there won't be an overpopulation to put to death.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Horror Movies Purron Other topics 52 09-30-2010 10:24 PM
Holiday Movies clifp Other topics 37 01-24-2010 12:33 PM
Funniest Movies Purron Other topics 65 07-10-2009 09:14 AM
Movies Moemg Other topics 38 11-17-2008 11:55 PM
FIRE at the Movies CuppaJoe Other topics 18 02-23-2008 12:02 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:41 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.