Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lived in San Antonio for 4 years+ and Dallas for 3 years, loved it. If it wasn't for the heat, I'd love to move to Austin, but we like to be outdoors as much as possible (not holing up with AC) and DW wilts even before I do so not likely. I can well understand why Tejas is so popular...my parents and sister both live there.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willers View Post
We're seriously considering Texas as a retirement destination for many of the reasons mentioned in the article. Living now in Madison, WI, a move to Austin would be like just like staying here, but improving the weather and getting a tax break.

And...mmmm...BBQ
Assuming you consider that cow-based stuff they have in Texas BBQ......
Old 05-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
To err is human, to moo bovine...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 05-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
We get cold fronts!!! How do you think it gets down to 90
Old 05-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #25
gone traveling

If you want good college football, stay away from Austin, as those tea sippers have gone down the drain. Home prices, property taxes and football are much better in College Station
Old 05-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #26
Administrator

We like Texas, but since RE we haven't spent a single summer here.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Half of the 10 fastest-growing cities in the US are in Texas, according to new figures.
And if you do percentage growth of those top 10, 4 out of 5 are from Texas.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Oil boom in the Permian Basin (again) - with the attendant housing shortages and low unemployment rate (3.1%).

Edit: Latest info has Midland's unemployment rate at 3.0%, the lowest in the US. Unemployment rates fall in nearly all US cities
Whenever I need a West Texas fix, I tune into KCRS AM550 from Midland/Odessa via the internet.

Listen to The Voice of West Texas* - 550 AM ,
Matthew 6:34 (KJV)
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Houses in our 'hood are selling quickly. One house on our block was sold in a month. The house next door to us sold in two weeks. Our neighbor sold his house for $160k...we bought our house in 1994 for $97k.

Megacorp gave us an extra $10k for relocation (on top of all other relocation expenses). So basically we paid $87k for our house as we used the $10k for a down payment.

Hmmmm......
Old 05-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Home prices, property taxes and football are much better in College Station
Yeah, but...
Old 05-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

San Antone is neat. When it isn't under water.
Houston is dynamite in a bottle. 2 kids born there. Love/hate it.
Austin? Crowded, horrible traffic (but better than Houston). I think I could live there (part of the year).
Old 05-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
I have a strict non-discrimination policy when it comes to BBQ. Love the southern, the KC, the Texan, and everything in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
If you want good college football, stay away from Austin, as those tea sippers have gone down the drain. Home prices, property taxes and football are much better in College Station
I may have to check that out. I was a huge Aggie fan as a kid growing up (even though I grew up on the east coast). Loved the tradition. Loved the 12th man (especially way back when the kickoff team was all 12th men). In the days before every game was on ESPN (before there was an ESPN) I really looked forward to the annual Aggie-Longhorn game. The question is - would wearing an Aggie jersey in Austin qualify as helping it stay weird?
Old 05-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The question is - would wearing an Aggie jersey in Austin qualify as helping it stay weird?
The bigger question is would it help you stay healthy. I don't think so...
Old 05-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #34
gone traveling

Quote:
I may have to check that out. I was a huge Aggie fan as a kid growing up (even though I grew up on the east coast). Loved the tradition. Loved the 12th man (especially way back when the kickoff team was all 12th men). In the days before every game was on ESPN (before there was an ESPN) I really looked forward to the annual Aggie-Longhorn game. The question is - would wearing an Aggie jersey in Austin qualify as helping it stay weird?
Funny, I grew up in Northeast but was also an Aggies fan as a kid, although my DS did attend A&M as undergrad. I prefer the jerseys that have a long horn on the front with the horns chopped off.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

If you want big crime, horrible traffic and almost unbearable weather, move to Houston.

Technically, you can play golf all year round, when it isn't raining.

Lived there almost 40 years - I do miss the food, friends, family and football though.

There is a lot of opportunity there for smart people.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Here is why I am NOT moving back to Texas, despite these 10 great reasons:

1. Jobs
Job? That's the LAST thing I want.

2. It's cheaper
Yeah, right? Cheaper than Manhattan or Seattle, I suppose. Most of the entire South is cheaper than coastal US areas. But within the South, Texas is not outstandingly cheap IMO. When I moved from Texas to Louisiana, my lifestyle was slightly cheaper in Louisiana.

3. Homes
Homes are cheap to buy, but that is only the beginning. The lower purchase prices may be countered by shockingly high property/school taxes, especially if you live in a good school district like we did. I'd rather pay off the house/mortgage and be done with it, rather than incurring such high annual property tax left to pay for eternity. OK, I suppose I'll give them this one but only if one chooses not to live in a good school district. Some of our friends in Texas went that route, and had reasonable taxes although sometimes no city sewer or water.

4. Low tax
See (3) above. It's a juggling act.

5. Pick your own big city
But, but, what if I don't LIKE living in a big city? I like smaller cities with a small town feel, like New Orleans or Honolulu.

6. Austin in particular
Pul-eeze. Maybe years ago, but now Austin is more and more becoming an annex of the Hotel California.

7. Family friendly
Where in the South is not family friendly, outside of the French Quarter? Granted, Mayberry R.F.D. was fiction, but old time values do survive to some extent throughout much of the South.

8. Fewer rules
That goes both ways. Others may obey fewer rules that we might wish they would obey, too.

9. Texans are normal people
Arguable. Tell me this after talking to a bull rider or a cheerleader's mother.

10. And they're not going anywhere
This is a reason to move to a location? I remember when I was teaching near Meridian, Mississippi (back in 1975), none of my students had ever been 50 miles away and none wanted to go away to college or leave the farm or gas station or whatever that their families ran. They just had no idea what was out there. I didn't really think that such limited scope was that much of a draw, or unique to Texas.

Overall, I really did like the Texans that I knew in Aggieland and I appreciate the values that most of them shared. The property taxes and above all, the deadly hot, dry summers and terrible tasting water in that part of Texas have detracted from College Station's appeal to me in retirement. The rest of Texas.... well, it's a whole 'nother country, as they say, and has much that I haven't explored.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 05-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

No thanks. Too many snakes and other vermin and fire ants and now crazy ants and no winters cold enough to kill them off for a while to give us a break.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
No thanks. Too many snakes and other vermin and fire ants and now crazy ants and no winters cold enough to kill them off for a while to give us a break.
you forgot hurricanes
Old 05-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Here is why I am NOT moving back to Texas, despite these 10 great reasons:

1. Jobs
Job? That's the LAST thing I want.

2. It's cheaper
Yeah, right? Cheaper than Manhattan or Seattle, I suppose. Most of the entire South is cheaper than coastal US areas. But within the South, Texas is not outstandingly cheap IMO. When I moved from Texas to Louisiana, my lifestyle was slightly cheaper in Louisiana.

3. Homes
Homes are cheap to buy, but that is only the beginning. The lower purchase prices may be countered by shockingly high property/school taxes, especially if you live in a good school district like we did. I'd rather pay off the house/mortgage and be done with it, rather than incurring such high annual property tax left to pay for eternity. OK, I suppose I'll give them this one but only if one chooses not to live in a good school district. Some of our friends in Texas went that route, and had reasonable taxes although sometimes no city sewer or water.

4. Low tax
See (3) above. It's a juggling act.

5. Pick your own big city
But, but, what if I don't LIKE living in a big city? I like smaller cities with a small town feel, like New Orleans or Honolulu.

6. Austin in particular
Pul-eeze. Maybe years ago, but now Austin is more and more becoming an annex of the Hotel California.

7. Family friendly
Where in the South is not family friendly, outside of the French Quarter? Granted, Mayberry R.F.D. was fiction, but old time values do survive to some extent throughout much of the South.

8. Fewer rules
That goes both ways. Others may obey fewer rules that we might wish they would obey, too.

9. Texans are normal people
Arguable. Tell me this after talking to a bull rider or a cheerleader's mother.

10. And they're not going anywhere
This is a reason to move to a location? I remember when I was teaching near Meridian, Mississippi (back in 1975), none of my students had ever been 50 miles away and none wanted to go away to college or leave the farm or gas station or whatever that their families ran. They just had no idea what was out there. I didn't really think that such limited scope was that much of a draw, or unique to Texas.

Overall, I really did like the Texans that I knew in Aggieland and I appreciate the values that most of them shared. The property taxes and above all, the deadly hot, dry summers and terrible tasting water in that part of Texas have detracted from College Station's appeal to me in retirement. The rest of Texas.... well, it's a whole 'nother country, as they say, and has much that I haven't explored.
You're hired!
Old 05-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You're hired!
Why thank you, but just a part time volunteer, suh....

Forgot to mention the time I was stung by hundreds of fire ants and ended up with boils at every sting! Owwwww.... I thought I would die. That was my "welcome", my first week in Texas, swimming out at the lake. Yes, they swim. We have fire ants here, too, but they aren't anywhere near as aggressive.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Closed Thread