Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not all homes are cheap....

88 Grand Regency Cir, The Woodlands, TX 77382 - HAR.com

There were a couple more expensive... but they were ranches...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2013, 12:14 AM   #122
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
Texas is cheap because it's filled with Texans.
Is it true that Prince Philip commented on key problems facing Texas, "Texans live there"?
Old 06-03-2013, 12:20 AM   #123
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
Texas is a very polarizing place, and I'm surprised this thread has lasted this long with its civility intact.
... and no references to Rusty Shackleford!

Quotes About Texas (38 quotes)
Old 06-03-2013, 05:57 AM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

Few other observations on living in Texas.

Met two other business associates in El Paso for a meeting the next day. We stayed at the hotel by the airport. That night both had their rental cars stolen. Only certain cars were available to rent (no Fords). The hotel also left a note on your pillow not to leave any valuables in your room.

Eating lunch at a McD's in El Paso and noticed a Pest truck and workers. So happens there was a rattler in the kid's playscape.

Was driving in Austin and there was a pickup with lawn equipment and a trailer full of workers. It was stopped for a red light on a hill. When the driver popped the clutch it pulled of the rear bumper and hitch, leaving the trailer sitting in front of me. The workers ran off in six different directions.

In early 80's Austin there were blue laws - no stores open on Sunday. You could only buy a beer in a restaurant in certain counties and then you had to buy a membership first.

Huge real estate bust in Austin in mid-80's. Our new 115k home in '84 dropped to 70k in '87. Many of the relocatees simply walked away from the homes and moved back north.

One of my neighbors in Austin in '84 worked for the TX TOD and told me of plans to build an upper deck for Hwy 183. Traffic was already getting bad. 12 years later this project was just getting started.

One February we had an ice storm and a 90 degree day in the same week (I looked it up when my kids didn't believe me).

Incredible music venues in Austin - Threadgill's, Stubb's, Broken Spoke. Janis, Willie, and Stevie Ray all played there.

Liked some of the off the beaten track places - Fredricksberg, Johnson City, Bastrop, Lockhart, Gruene (green), San Marcos, etc.

On the whole I enjoyed my 14 years in Tejas. My daughters still live in Dallas and Houston.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:19 AM   #125
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Never lived in Texas...but I like to watch Austin City Limits on PBS...
Old 06-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

Yikes! The longer this thread goes on, the more it makes me glad I can afford to live in a blue state - even as a long time retiree.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #127
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafddur1 View Post
Yikes! The longer this thread goes on, the more it makes me glad I can afford to live in a blue state - even as a long time retiree.
So "cheap" = "red state"
Old 06-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #128
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafddur1 View Post
Glad you can too.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #129
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
There's some history there...
Besides the Republic of Texas: 1836- 1846, three other states were their own country before joining the USA, and they don't make a huge deal out of it.
Vermont Republic: 1777-1791
California Republic: June 14, 1846 - July 9, 1846
Republic of Hawaii: 1893-1898

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
Old 06-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #130
Administrator

Thanks for an interesting discussion

Closed Thread