Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

With the interweb, a person can post anything and finds that he has readers, and may even be able to make some money on the ads. Ain't technology grand?
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

There were some truths in each of his points. But he was going for clicks, so it is all over the top.

As a history buff, I find most of what we were taught in school isn't what really happened. Or it doesn't mean what we were taught it meant. I love the WWII guys. My father was shot twice and spent time in a German POW camp, so I know the sacrifices they made. But the truth is the USSR won the war. Every other country lost land or colonies. The US of A included. Russia was the only country to gain land or colonies. And 9 out of every 10 German soldiers killed were killed by the Red Army.

The same with the Spanish American War. My grandfather went to Cuba to fight the Dons. While all the newspaper men were down there making Teddy and the Rough Riders into heroes, the real war happened on May 1st 1898 in Manila Bay. We sank all the wooden ships of the Spanish Navy while they were at anchor. [the wisdom of this kind of attack was not lost on the Japanese. They used it to good effect 43 years later]

Most of us don't know much American history and even less world history.

A funny story about geographical knowledge. My friend's dad owns a construction company here in my county. They had hired a fellow from Honduras. During their lunch break they were all sitting around talking, and they ask the guy how he had got America. He responded that he had drove all the way. My friend said, "you can't get here from there. I've looked at the weather map on TV, and there is nothing below Texas."
And this was from the man who would inherit his father's company.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larro Darro View Post

A funny story about geographical knowledge. My friend's dad owns a construction company here in my county. They had hires a fellow from Honduras. During their lunch break they were all sitting around talking, and they ask the guy how he had got America. He responded that he had drove all the way. My friend said, "you can't get here from there. I've looked at the weather map on TV, and there is nothing below Texas."
And this was from the man who would inherit his father's company.
Are you sure this was not meant to be a joke? Surely, everyone must know Mexico borders Texas and it's contiguous territory. How could anyone miss the stories on border crossings?
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
Are you sure this was not meant to be a joke? Surely, everyone must know Mexico borders Texas and it's contiguous territory. How could anyone miss the stories on border crossings?
My Sister lives in Austin, I'll check with her, but I don't think she believes there's any place south of Texas.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
My Sister lives in Austin, I'll check with her, but I don't think she believes there's any place south of Texas.
Actually, south Texas and what's below it are starting to blend together.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #46
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Actually, south Texas and what's below it are starting to blend together.
No Habla English Since we americans stole "upper Mexico" is slowly being repatriated to lower Mexico.
bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

On further review of his rather extensive website, it seems he fashions himself as some sort of Dr. Phil for the under 30 crowd. Essentially, for those whose early adulthood, hasn't turned out like their entitlement upbringing told them it would.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #48

Quote:
As a history buff, I find most of what we were taught in school isn't what really happened. Or it doesn't mean what we were taught it meant. I love the WWII guys. My father was shot twice and spent time in a German POW camp, so I know the sacrifices they made. But the truth is the USSR won the war. Every other country lost land or colonies. The US of A included. Russia was the only country to gain land or colonies. And 9 out of every 10 German soldiers killed were killed by the Red Army.
So maybe I'm missing something here and you can straighten me out because I'm confused. The USA did not lose anything other than bodies and monies protecting the world from the Nazis and Imperial Japanese. Actually I think that is something, however, you said the Soviets won the war. How did that happen, I thought the Allies won the war? Also you say that every other country lost land or colonies, the USA did not loose land to my knowledge and we don't have colonies. We do have territories such as PR and Guam.

Want to clarify for me?
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Most of us don't know much American history and even less world history.
Don't despair. Now that you've admitted your area of weakness, you can begin a program to address the deficiencies. Reading, a class at the local jr college, even some programs on public TV can help.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:04 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sounds like the rest of the world, according to the author, is getting along fine. That's nice. Keep us posted.
Gatordoc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
So maybe I'm missing something here and you can straighten me out because I'm confused. The USA did not lose anything other than bodies and monies protecting the world from the Nazis and Imperial Japanese. Actually I think that is something, however, you said the Soviets won the war. How did that happen, I thought the Allies won the war? Also you say that every other country lost land or colonies, the USA did not loose land to my knowledge and we don't have colonies. We do have territories such as PR and Guam.

Want to clarify for me?
We lost the Philippine Islands, which we had controlled since 1898. As well as all our Naval bases on the British holdings in Asia.

Holdings, territories or colonies. It is a difference without a distinction.

And the USSR gained all of Eastern Europe. The whole iron curtain thing was a result of the 2nd world war. As is the present membership of the UN's power brokers.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

When I said the USSR won the war, I am talking about on the battle field. Not who gained the most in the years after the war. We won the war in the Pacific, and in Western Europe. Russia won the war in Eastern Europe. [which is where the lion's share of the German Army was at the time, ie... 9 out of every 10 German soldiers killed were killed by the Red Army] Which they could have never done without us supplying them with the tools to do it.

The big losers of the war was England and East Germany. England lost all it's Asian colonies at the start of the war, or soon afterward. This was including the jewel in the crown, India[1947]. It started a gradual weakening of the British Empire that ended in them loosing the last of their African colonies in the 60's. Eastern Germany was bled dry by Russia until Gorby came along and gave up the Evil Empire.

Russia gained land and military power, but lost out in every other way. While the Red Army, with help from the Russian winter, had been able to beat Germany, they couldn't compete with western economics.

The US, West Germany and Japan gained the most from the war. While we did lose the Philippines, and it took us a while to find our stride, the war made us bring our heads out of the sand and get involved in the word again. We took over the Pacific Rim, and it's trade. And being the only country in the world with the bomb didn't hurt.

West Germany and Japan were rebuilt on our dime, and came out of the war as strong allies. The new Germany is still the powerhouse of the EU. And we all know what Japan has done in the almost 70 years since the war.

All I was saying is that the history we are taught is so slanted it doesn't represent what happened on the ground. When Daddy's POW camp was liberated, there were both American and Russian Armies in the region. The Generals had a big pow-wow, and they came up with a plan for co-habitation. They flew the Stars and Stripes one day, and the Hammer and Sickle the next. He always said after that, that he was more worried about Russia than Germany.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Understanding that the "10 Things" are generalizations, I find a large degree of truth to most (but not all) of them. But since they are generalizations, there are lots of individuals who they don't apply to.

I think that #4 ("We are poor at expressing gratitude & affection") is ridiculous. As for #6 ("The rest of the world is not a slum-ridden sh1thole compared to us"), well, some parts of the world ARE that bad, but perhaps not as much of the world as some Americans might believe, however. And there are some things this guy wrote which I did find off-putting, but overall, it was entertaining.

I've traveled a lot, 35+ countries, and on every continent except Antarctica. I've lived with families in other countries while taking language classes. However, I've never worked overseas or lived long-term in another country. One thing I have learned is that in most other countries (including Canada), the average citizen is just as ignorant as the average American.

For those here who have criticized the list, have any of you traveled extensively, esp. in the developing world?
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #54

I too don't believe we are poor at expressing gratitude but we are indeed poor at expressing affection outside of our family. It's very normal to affectionately touch a friend or even a new aquaintenance which Americans would find rather off putting. Members of the same sex express physical affection which would be considered taboo here (I am not refering to same sex couples here). Also, a man in our culture will not touch a woman unless they are romantically involved. For good reasons, of course; he could be charged with a sex crime or the female could get really uptight about this. Spend anytime in Latin America, Caribbean, Africa or just about anywhere and you'll see how much affection people express to each other compared to our culture.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
I too don't believe we are poor at expressing gratitude but we are indeed poor at expressing affection outside of our family.

Are you poor at expressing affection outside of your family or do you have different customs and traditions that should be respected by others with different customs and traditions about expressing affection?

For example, my extended family does not have a tradition of being "huggers." Yet we are an extraordinarily loyal group whose actions over the years are typical of a group sharing unconditional love. Do we need to take hugging lessons to avoid being criticized by a pompous blogger? Or can we have our customs and traditions honored as we always strive to honor the customs and traditions of others?

OTOH, I have a group of buddies from college I still see from time to time. We are huggers. Every reunion begins and ends with guys embracing one another. Is that OK? Should the behavior be criticized by others having different customs?

If you don't like what your culture is in this regard, change it. But it isn't my culture. And I'm an American.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post

Are you poor at expressing affection outside of your family or do you have different customs and traditions that should be respected by others with different customs and traditions about expressing affection?
Good point. Poor was probably not a very good word choice.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I am a 1st-generation immigrant who came here to the US as a young adult. I have grown accustomed to the US culture, and found it more to my liking. We did not hug in the old culture either. If anything, I initially thought that Americans showed too much affection.

Cultures are different. One can compare them, but it is pointless to say what is better. There are many cultures I do not care to visit, let alone living in one. However, people are free to have a preference, and should be allowed to vote with their feet.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Many people in Japan, including DD's inlaws' extended family, are quite averse to hugging. What to do when they come to visit--be perceived as being poor in expressing affection or make them extremely uncomfortable (and have them discuss how rude Americans are)? Such a quandary. We'll go with their preferences.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Like all good lies, there is an element of truth in what he writes. We can all find certain Americans who think the rest of the world is a dump compared to the USA, who think everybody else wants to be an American, who think little of value comes from anywhere but the USA, etc. But, we can also find people who understand and enjoy other cultures, other points of view and other lifestyles. And can do so without having to measure which is best and which is worst.

I think the author takes the same superficial view of Americans, that he thinks Americans take of others in the world. Not much difference in thinking between him and the people he is critisizing. My 2˘.
+1

Pretty typical stuff from the "professional" life coach class. It certainly helps to be born wealthy, so you can casually say that money doesn't pay happiness. It is certainly true, but the lack of money causes plenty of misery.

Quote:
I believe I come from a unique background when it comes to wealth. I grew up in a family with a lot of money. We had a massive house, swimming pool, expensive cars, expensive vacations. By the time I was eight my brother and I each had our own televisions and video game systems. By the time I was 10, we had our own computers. We each had two bedrooms and our own bathrooms. I attended expensive private schools and was given a car on my sixteenth birthday.
But for most of my childhood and adolescence, my family was miserable. My parents divorced, and my brother and I each went through our own episodes of trouble with the law.
Evidently he makes a living giving dating advice.
Advice #1 It helps to be really handsome, like Mark, when trying to get dates. In fact if you are good looking enough, the dates come to you.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Evidently he make a living giving dating advice...
Never heard of this guy before this thread. You made me go back to look.

Yep. So, that's how he also knows where one can get tested for STD for free, as I noted in an earlier post.