Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

10 Ways Introverts Interact Differently With The World
Old 11-09-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

With all the INTJing that takes place on this forum I thought this article might be of interest:

Quote:
...introversion...is "different from being shy."

"Shyness is about fear of social judgment," Cain said. "Introversion is more about how do you respond to stimulation, including social stimulation. So extraverts really crave large amounts of stimulation, whereas introverts feel at their most alive and their most switched on and their most capable when they are in quieter, more low-key environments."
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I love that article, and the paragraph you quoted from it! I don't feel like I am shy any more, now that I am grown. But I do appreciate my time alone.

Here's another paragraph that I thought was interesting:
Quote:
Every introvert has a limit when it comes to stimulation. HuffPost blogger Kate Bartolotta explains it well when she writes, "Think of each of us as having a cup of energy available. For introverts, most social interactions take a little out of that cup instead of filling it the way it does for extroverts. Most of us like it. We're happy to give, and love to see you. When the cup is empty though, we need some time to refuel."
I never realized that anyone would feel their cup was filled by social interactions, instead of depleted as it is for me. Extroverts are sure different.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:22 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
"Shyness is about fear of social judgment," Cain said. "Introversion is more about how do you respond to stimulation, including social stimulation. So extraverts really crave large amounts of stimulation, whereas introverts feel at their most alive and their most switched on and their most capable when they are in quieter, more low-key environments."
Ain't that the truth!!! I think that's why I am so much more productive when I am isolated and away from all the "humanity"!!!

Good article...now need to go watch the mentioned TED talk.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Interesting. I assume there's a continuum, evidently those in the center are "ambiverts." A couple of very basic references.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One of my pet peeves is all these (TED and others) talks about social connections, how we are social animals, that we like to engage and love being part of a group, crave social stimulation.

Never mind team building activities and social cohesion exercises.

*ahem* not all of us.

Some of use just like a nice cabin with a few visitors every now and then.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:49 PM   #6

Quote:
One of my pet peeves is all these (TED and others) talks about social connections, how we are social animals, that we like to engage and love being part of a group, crave social stimulation.

*ahem* not all of us.

Started breathing heavy while reading this
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post

*ahem* not all of us.

God I used to HATE team building exercises....

And when you go to a seminar etc., and they insist on separating people into groups to discuss...sucks

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I liked the article and definitely am on the introvert side.

I've been arranging a family dinner (at a restaurant) for Saturday and as the attendee lis is growing, I already feel more and more discomfort.

The price we pay for sake of family .
Old 11-09-2014, 01:22 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Part of me resents the article because of the title as it almost implies that if you are introverted you aren't normal....but I know I am just overly sensitive about that since the world we live in is largely based around extroverted tendencies.

Either way, the last item on the list resonated with me the most:

"They literally shut down when it's time to be alone."

That is me to a "T". A couple of weekends ago I was way overcommitted and doing things every night (much busier than normal). By Sunday night I was just cranky beyond belief and could not deal with anything. Absolutely needed to be alone. I try really hard to build that time into my life but that weekend it slipped away.

This is probably the one thing I try to cling to most - Alone time. I know how valuable it is to me.
Klubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 01:27 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klubbie View Post

This is probably the one thing I try to cling to most - Alone time. I know how valuable it is to me.
Speaking of alone time, I already turned down an invite to stop by a family member on Thanksgiving giving the reason that I'll be selfishly watching a football game. As an introvert, the very last thing I'd want is festivities interrupting the concentration on the game
Old 11-09-2014, 02:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
God I used to HATE team building exercises....

And when you go to a seminar etc., and they insist on separating people into groups to discuss...sucks

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

We have one scheduled during our departmental meeting tomorrow. Dreading it already. {groan}
Calico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #12

Fortunately I never had to participate in these "team building exercises". They sound horrible.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:22 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

There's a great book titled "The Introvert's Advantage" that discusses many of these ideas. Must reading for INTJs who want to understand themselves better. This really is an extrovert's society and this books helps one understand why things that seem so natural and pleasant for some, are difficult to manage for us. But lack many qualities that we have in abundance.
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnIntentionalRoad View Post
There's a great book titled "The Introvert's Advantage" that discusses many of these ideas. Must reading for INTJs who want to understand themselves better. This really is an extrovert's society and this books helps one understand why things that seem so natural and pleasant for some, are difficult to manage for us. But lack many qualities that we have in abundance.
+1 On "The Introvert Advantage" by Marti Olsen Laney.

Totally saw myself in a different light after reading it. Ten years later and DW's book club is finally reading it. The book is on her night table as we speak.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:38 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

What does it mean that INTJ's are 2.1% (attached) of the total population, and 48.7% ** of the ER.org population?

A whopping 23 times the mainstream population!

** Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community - View Poll Results

Another reason I wonder how representative ER.org replies to newbies who stumble in are --- never mind...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MBTI-types.jpg (156.9 KB, 16 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:55 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
What does it mean that INTJ's are 2.1% (attached) of the total population, and 48.7% ** of the ER.org population?

A whopping 23 times the mainstream population!

** Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community - View Poll Results

Another reason I wonder how representative ER.org replies to newbies who stumble in are --- never mind...
Ala the Borg resistance is futile. We INTJ's were predestined and didn't know it.

heh heh heh - the real answer is ??.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:03 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

The difference between a fakey exercise and actual team building, where you and others solve real problems together, is like "being set up with" someone, versus meeting someone and growing to care for them over time. Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Fortunately I never had to participate in these "team building exercises". They sound horrible.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:04 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I like to tell people that I'm on the anti-social committee at work. And of course I'm the only member. Though I'm sure others have their own committees.
Chelhxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:47 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Introverts are obviously much more introspective and enjoy analyzing their introversion.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Introverts are obviously much more introspective and enjoy analyzing their introversion.
Hehe - ain't that the truth!

I enjoy some of the articles I've seen online about introversion. Many of them have helped me understand myself better and have been something of a saving grace though at this point, many of them are simply repeating things to me I already know. I hate to say it, but when my friends post articles about introversion on Facebook, I can find it a little off-putting. Talking so much about introversion seems, well, such an introspective thing to do. I have been on the cusp of posting essays about my own introversion and reclusiveness in order to share these experiences with my friends but have held back, as it seems a bit self-indulgent to be talking about myself so much.

Besides, my cats understand me perfectly, I think............

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote