10 Ways Your Smartphone Can (Help) Pay For Itself
It's very easy
to find alternatives to any of these smartphone functions, but we find it is much quicker and easier with a smartphone. We're trying to talk ourselves into upgrading our two person plan at the moment (from $85/mo to $110-120/mo w much better phones), but there's really no justifying it... FWIW
- Price checks while shopping, is the deal in front of me really a good one?
- Virtual coupons, lots of apps and providers
- Text club special offers, some restaurants, stores, etc. will provide a discount on the spot (I got $5 off at Target while in the store by simply texting - yes I know they got my phone number)
- Find surcharge free ATMs
- Budgeting apps, I think some have mentioned MINT for example.
- Gas price apps (we've definitely saved money and driving using these, we rarely buy gas without scoping out prices)
- Replaces camera, video recorder, GPS, etc.
- Replaces landline (saved us $31/month)
- Replaces home internet (using the phone as a hotspot for your PC, probably only good for light internet use)
- Be more organized, lots of calendar/scheduling apps that make sure you don't forget something each day (appts, shopping/errands, etc.)
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57
Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)