Join Early Retirement Today

10-Year Difference in Ages
Old 10-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

10-Year Difference in Ages

22-year-old DD called to announce that she now has a boyfriend. This is significant, because in the past, this isn't something she'd usually share with us. We'd just find out.

The interesting thing is that he is 32, a major in the army, and has served in Iraq and Afghanistan!

Of course they've only known each other for a month, and who knows how long it will last, but I'm wondering if there are any challenges involved in a difference like this. I'm not worried, since Jenny has good sense.

Are any of you significantly older/younger than your spouse?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
22-year-old DD called to announce that she now has a boyfriend. This is significant, because in the past, this isn't something she'd usually share with us. We'd just find out.

The interesting thing is that he is 32, a major in the army, and has served in Iraq and Afghanistan!

Of course they've only known each other for a month, and who knows how long it will last, but I'm wondering if there are any challenges involved in a difference like this. I'm not worried, since Jenny has good sense.

Spouse was little bit older.
Have had relationships where he was ~10 - 15 years younger.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
As my spouse (13 months younger) never fails to point out, there's a huge difference between age & maturity.

The irony is that while he may feel he's dating someone who's quite mature for her age, his battle buddies are slapping him on the back and smirking "You go, dude!! Does she have a friend?!?"

If he doesn't already surf, the good news is that he probably has sufficient upper-body strength to do well on his first surfing lesson-- no matter how big the waves or how cold the water...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

My wife was younger but not this much. However this guy is likely so far ahead of the typical 22 year old man that that your daughter might feel that she has finally stopped dealing with boys and graduated to a man.

She might have told you because she recognizes that this is something different for her.

Ha
Old 10-04-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Al, everything you've ever posted about your DD indicates she is more mature than a lot of people her age--she's probably not into the typical bar-hopping 22 y/o men she runs into.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't think age matters so much as wanting the same things at the same time in life. I have no experience in this regard as my husband was only a year older than I. My parents were ten years apart in age (she was 26 and he 36 when they met and married). They shared a lot of things in common such as growing up in the same close-knit town, both from ethnic families, both college educated, both wanted to get married and have a family (neither had been married before). I don't think 10 years is a big age difference, it's not like he is old enough to be her father.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a catch, to me....at this point, nothing oughta faze him, that's for sure!

If the 2 parties love each other (i.e. care about the other person more than they do about themselves) it will work. If not, then why marry anybody.

A.

Quote:
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I don't think age matters so much as wanting the same things at the same time in life. I have no experience in this regard as my husband was only a year older than I. My parents were ten years apart in age (she was 26 and he 36 when they met and married). They shared a lot of things in common such as growing up in the same close-knit town, both from ethnic families, both college educated, both wanted to get married and have a family (neither had been married before). I don't think 10 years is a big age difference, it's not like he is old enough to be her father.
I agree. DW is 5 years older than me (she would point out it is only 4.5, but since it is the time of year when you subtract my age from her's, you get 5, I go with that). I like to reminder her once in a while, but not too much for it to get old. nothing sucks more than having a good joke that you used one too many times. anyways, we seem to be fine and happy. but, we are pretty well aligned on life and goals and i think that is important. we were both ready to settle down when we met, we both want the same thing out of life and there hasn't ever been an argument about any long-term goals. how to achieve the goals maybe, but for the most part, not on what the goals are. i wouldn't worry. what would you say anyways?
ronocnikral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #9

Not to worry....my DW is 16 years younger and while the scuttlebutt at the time we were married included pregnancy, cradle theft and "it will NEVER last" comments....we recently celebrated 20 years of being HAPPILY married...of course, it was our 22nd anniversary, so it there seems there might have been a bump or two ....badadump....

It has worked very well for us....and while we should not be the tool to measure all multi-year age difference marriages by....it is easy for us to look around and see many others who "should only be so lucky!"
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

My late husband was twelve years older and it never really mattered . Age unless it's a huge gap is usually a non issue . Your daughter is young this could be the one or one more boyfriend .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds like the SIL of your dreams.
1. Put some fear into those loud neighbors.
2. No shady mechanic is gonna shaft a battle hardened major.
3. Can probably teach you some great camping techniques.

Time to celebrate the daughter's good sense.
Pie Floater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:09 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Welcome to the board, Major Pie Floater (or whatever your real name is).

This is very suspicious.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

There is a 10 year difference between my husband and I. I was also age 22 when I met him. He was also Active Duty. Best decision I made in my life.
RoccoPacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:22 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW is a cougar, she is 10yrs my senior.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:23 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

T-Al, I met DH when I was 18 and he was 26. It was rather scandalous at the time, but since our years dating and married now total 21, it is less an issue. While that age difference is less than your daughter's boyfriend, I would concur with the consensus that she is looking for a more mature model than what is typically available in the under-25 range.

Good for her!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:37 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Hey, I was married by 23 (by a month). DW is the same age as I, but if the two of them click I do not think it matters.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:18 PM   #17

I am 13 years younger than dear hubby. We are an IR couple so the age thing is the least of our differences. We come from different cultures, experiences and world views. For us it begins with respecting those differences and embracing them. In the beginning we never made an assumption about what the other person meant when a statement we did not quite understand was made. We would stop the conversation at that point and clarify things. Saved a lot of grief. Now we finish each others sentences. We have been together 12 years and still happy.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
We are an IR couple...
Infrared?
Ingersoll-Rand?
International Rectifier?
Incompatible, Randy?
Injured Reserve?

Old 10-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Infrared?
Ingersoll-Rand?
International Rectifier?
Incompatible, Randy?
Injured Reserve?

Inter-racial?
Old 10-04-2010, 08:54 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm not worried, since Jenny has good sense.
There ya go....