Join Early Retirement Today

10 year old Honda Pilot full coverage or liability?
Old 09-29-2016, 10:10 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

10 year old Honda Pilot full coverage or liability?

My 10 year old Honda Pilot has now 72,000 miles on it. I work from home, so do not drive much for 4 years. I just checked KBB using condition 'good', and see a trade-in value $6000.

My Geico insurance quoted with $200 savings a year, if I drop full coverage down to liability. DW says that if we keep it for 5 more years, we will pay total extra $1000, for $6000 asset.

So, would you drop full coverage and go liability at this value? Or wait a couple of years since the savings is low value?
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2016, 10:26 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

would this impact your umbrella coverage? We have to keep full coverage on everything as an umbrella minimum (I think)

$200 is chump change compared to a catastrophic event
Old 09-29-2016, 10:48 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

One variable is state laws. In Michigan, with no fault insurance, if some clown smashes into me the maximum I can get is $500, unless I have collision coverage on my car.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:14 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I took collision off mine after about 5 years, but a couple years ago totaled it in a snowstorm, so I came out behind, but that's the first car I've totaled that was my fault. If I had really been thinking about it, I should've put it back on over the winters. Since you don't drive much, I'd probably drop it if the $6K isn't a major deal to you, but it does depend on the weather and traffic you do drive in, and the state laws as travelover says.

You don't need collision for an umbrella policy. They only worry about liability insurance for that.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:59 AM   #5

Our Honda Pilot is 13 years years old with a $4,000 value (more mileage).

The collision is $104 per year and makes DW happy so I keep it on.

In our state the collision covers uninsured motorists as well except I would have to pay the deductible.

No need for collision for our umbrella but do need high liability coverages.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:36 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I don't take it off until the value of the car is at 2k or less.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:49 PM   #7

We've had the same debate over my 11 year old Toyota Highlander Hybrid. I think we're going to drop the collision, but keep the comprehensive (theft).

You don't have to have Comp or collision for umbrella - at least in my state. Umbrella is for liability. My husbands 21 year old truck does not have comp or collision and we have a $2M umbrella policy.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:17 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

The collision still seems like a good buy based on the value and costs you cited.

The question boils down to: how much are you willing to pay for a $6000 risk?

For me, I think the insurance would need to be 1/10 of the value before I would think of dropping collision.

The good news is: when we drive fewer miles and have good driving records, we are cheap to insure!

M
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
The collision still seems like a good buy based on the value and costs you cited.

The question boils down to: how much are you willing to pay for a $6000 risk?

M
For me, once the value gets below about $8K, then I will drop it. Also, my umbrella coverage is tied to the LIABILITY portion of the insurance...it has nothing to do with the comp/collision.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:48 PM   #10

Thanks for all the replies. I called Geico for my umbrella insurance. Looks like it only requires liability for me.

Since it is cheap enough to have comprehensive and collision, we will just keep them for now.
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:58 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Also be aware that if you make a claim to your insurance they might increase your premium...

I had 2 at fault accidents in the last 25 years... the problem is they were 1 year apart... my first one was very minor... maybe a few hundred bucks to the other person... my damage less than deductible....

Second was when I totaled out my car... got something like $10K for the car.... but, my insurance rose by maybe $1500 per year....

Also know that you get the price less your deductible... I have $1K deductible... so in OP case I would only get $5K...

I would also look at autotrader for prices... it seemed that is what they used and then took an 8% discount.... it was higher than what KBB estimated...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 02:20 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

On my older cars (collectables) that I don't drive much, I only keep liability. I keep full coverage with high deductibles on my daily drivers which helps keep the rates a bit lower.

As a side note I just got my auto insurance renewal for my daily drivers. (No wrecks, no tickets or claims) It still when up over 20% this term.

Hard to believe that the current US inflation rate is ~1.1% when I look at my medical, home owners and auto insurance rate increases.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
One variable is state laws. In Michigan, with no fault insurance, if some clown smashes into me the maximum I can get is $500, unless I have collision coverage on my car.
There is that case, and here in WV a common practice among people short on funds is to get one or two month's insurance coverage just to get the car tags (need proof of insurance for that) then stop the payments and drive uninsured. Hey, if you don't have any assets to protect, why buy insurance?

So we keep the collision insurance for as long as we own the vehicle.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:12 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
would this impact your umbrella coverage? We have to keep full coverage on everything as an umbrella minimum (I think)

$200 is chump change compared to a catastrophic event
Yes, but only liability insurance, not collision which is what the $200 relates to.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:22 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

With a $6k trade-in value, I'd hang on to Comp and Collision. At some point, I'd drop collision only and stick with Comp alone. Comp is usually a lot cheaper and covers you for things like theft and glass (windshield). With my previous car, I dropped Collision the last few years and stuck with Comp.

And, as others wrote, neither has anything to do with umbrella, a liability coverage.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:32 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I do not carry comp and collision on my vehicles, preferring to self insure. If I can replace them, no sweat, I don't pay for the coverage. If my emergency fund/ready cash supply were lower, I'd be inclined to have the coverage.
Pro-tip--never tell anyone else to drop their comp and collision. Odds are good that they will run into a deer within a month and be mad at you for suggesting it.
I do carry lots of liability, though, as required by our umbrella coverage.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:41 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
You could always raise your deductible which would save on the premium to save some of the "$200" .
If you don't hit anything, you will have saved.
If you hit something, you will just get less insurance, but more than not having collision.

I'd keep deductible no matter what as windshield get cracked easily, along with keying hoodlums.
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:35 AM   #18

Years ago, I dropped the collision on a 9 year old vehicle. I was rear ended (drunk driver with min. coverage) and only given 1/2 of what repairs to my vehicle cost. My insurance co. would have gone after the other co. if I had full coverage. (I probably should have taken the co. to small claims court, but was young and intimidated.)

Since then, I have always kept full coverage, even on older vehicles.

Also, we now only have one vehicle and travel, renting cars on trips. Need full coverage to shut up the rental guys pushing their coverage at check in.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:44 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Most experts say to drop comp & collision when the value of the vehicle gets to $4500.

My problem is that I have an 8 year old car worth 10K and a 13 year old diesel pickup worth $12K, and their values on the used car retail market remains very high. We're paying much more than $100 or so per year for coverage.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:28 AM   #20

I tend to keep comprehensive even though drop collision when value gets to $6K or so. In the last five years, I've had no collision but three comprehensive claims: two glass related, one deer. Seems to have the best payback.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote