Join Early Retirement Today

Statement Regarding Dallas Academy Game
Old 01-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #21

Statement Regarding Dallas Academy Game

It would seem the wining team - or at least the school leadership - shares the opinion of some of the more critical views above.

Quote:
1/22/2009

The Covenant School, its board and administrators, regrets the incident of January 13 and the outcome of the game with the Dallas Academy Varsity Girls Basketball team. It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened. This clearly does not reflect a Christ-like and honorable approach to competition. We humbly apologize for our actions and seek the forgiveness of Dallas Academy, TAPPS and our community. The school and its representatives in no way support or condone the running up of a score against any team in any sport for any reason. The school’s board members, Head of School Kyle Queal and Athletic Director Brice Helton have acted to ensure that such an unfortunate incident can never happen again.

Covenant school officials have met with and personally apologized to Dallas Academy Headmaster Jim Richardson and Athletic Director Jeremy Civello and wish to extend their highest praise to each member of the Dallas Academy Varsity Girls Basketball team for their strength, composure and fortitude in a game in which they clearly emerged the winner. Accordingly, The Covenant School has contacted TAPPS and is submitting a formal request to forfeit the game recognizing that a victory without honor is a great loss.

Kyle Queal
Head of School

Todd Doshier
Board Chair
The Covenant School ~ School News

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2009, 06:19 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus View Post
Maybe...those girls like to play basketball?

It's interesting to see the attitudes about this drubbing. Can't say I'm surprised how some of you have reacted.
True, but after straight four years of losses, maybe those girls can play in games like Ziggy suggested, where the playing field is a little more level. Just saying. Nobody likes to be the recipient of the pity applause, my kids always told me.

This is not to excuse the other team's coach for letting his players run up the score.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:22 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

You know, I don't see it as "pity applause" that the losing team is getting now. Rather, they are receiving a lot of respect for how they continued to play despite the other teams lack of sportsmanship.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:09 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I think it's wonderful that these girls are getting so much respect--I read that Mark Cuban has contacted them too. I didn't mean this was a case of what my kids and their friends called pity applause.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:01 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Dallas Academy, a small private school with 20 girls, is for students with learning disabilities.

ABC News: Girl's Hoops Team Regrets 100-0 Blowout Win

Disgraceful. I saw the report on ABC's evening news. I hope the school that ran up the score truly learned something from this.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:26 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
We can argue back and forth with no outcome, but this is high school sports
Even at the High School level, the objective is NOT to win at any cost. Teams practice to improve their skills. Teams compete in leagues which keep track of wins and loses, and typically award championships to the team with the most wins. Yes, sports is a competitive arena, but it is also a means to teach teamwork, sportsmanship and other values. When team sports seek funding you can be sure they stress what a good character building experience this is, not that they will practice to win, win, win.

In a game where the mismatch between skill levels is so great that there is no reasonable competition between teams, there is no excuse for the "winning" team to try to maximize its score or humiliate the opponent. Teams usually use this as a way to give substitute players gametime or in extreme cases, play shorthanded. The idea that an easy win or playing with less intensity will somehow break the spirit or the skills of the "winning" team is an excuse for small minded adult coaches who are living out their own needs through the youth team. I've coached teams on both sides of these kinds of blowouts. When I was on the losing side of the mismatch, I've played teams that quietly made adjustments and teams that tried to run up the score. Teams with class have ways to make adjustments that still let the kids play with intensity.

I've also played against "winning is everything" coaches who taught their teams dirty tricks and even how to hit opponents on the sly so that referees would likely not notice. Some of these teams had stellar winning records, but I doubt it did the kids any good to play on them.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:37 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
I have coached HS girls soccer. The girls don't care if they win. You don't know what you are talking about. I have been on both sides of those games and there are no winners in a 100-0 game.
Then you have coached some people that I have not run across... I have not met anyone who played HS sports that would not say they wanted to win... not that winning was their number one priority... but I NEVER heard anyone say 'I want to lose'... never... so I think I know what I am talking about...

And I played in various sports.. and I knew I was outmatched in some... and knew that the chance of winning were nil to none... but I played anyhow and enjoyed the game.. and the defeat... But I STILL wanted to win...

My comment was not toward the game here... just that someone listed reasons to play and like you dismissed winning as one of the reason... I say again... winning IS a reason to play... and wanting to win is a reason to practice...

OHH, just remembered something my sister went through... her company sponsored a softball team... the first year they lost every game by the mercy rule... one game they were behind 79 runs in the first inning and never got up to bat... but they PRACTICED... and surprise to all... they won the city league the next year...
Old 01-25-2009, 02:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
one game they were behind 79 runs in the first inning and never got up to bat

Was it because of the mercy rule, or darkness?
Old 01-25-2009, 10:26 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Looks like the head coach of the winning team did not learn any thing from the route.

Rivals High - Coach says he's not sorry for 100-point win
Old 01-25-2009, 11:18 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

From that article

"We played the game as it was meant to be played. My values and my beliefs would not allow me to run up the score on any opponent, and it will not allow me to apologize for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity."

So, his values would not allow him to run up the score on any opponent? Cognitive dissonance, eh?
Old 01-26-2009, 10:27 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotReady4Purple View Post
From that article

"We played the game as it was meant to be played. My values and my beliefs would not allow me to run up the score on any opponent, and it will not allow me to apologize for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity."

So, his values would not allow him to run up the score on any opponent? Cognitive dissonance, eh?
I did not read the article, but heard on the radio this morning the coach was fired... seems that he kept the starters in the game until the end of the third quarter... a slight change on what happened....

Still, there were many people who could have stopped it IF they wanted..
Old 01-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #32

Quote:
Then you have coached some people that I have not run across... I have not met anyone who played HS sports that would not say they wanted to win... not that winning was their number one priority... but I NEVER heard anyone say 'I want to lose'... never... so I think I know what I am talking about...

And I played in various sports.. and I knew I was outmatched in some... and knew that the chance of winning were nil to none... but I played anyhow and enjoyed the game.. and the defeat... But I STILL wanted to win...

My comment was not toward the game here... just that someone listed reasons to play and like you dismissed winning as one of the reason... I say again... winning IS a reason to play... and wanting to win is a reason to practice...

OHH, just remembered something my sister went through... her company sponsored a softball team... the first year they lost every game by the mercy rule... one game they were behind 79 runs in the first inning and never got up to bat... but they PRACTICED... and surprise to all... they won the city league the next year...
I agree the objective of competition is to win.
But if you ask the players "why do you play basketball", I bet winning is not the answer given by more than one girl.
If you ask "what is the objective of a basketball game", I still bet you get an answer which resembles "to score, work as a team yadda yadda" more than "to beat the other team".

Boys will have winning on their radar more than girls and might list it as a reason for playing. In the case of 100-0 we are dealing with girls and having coached girls for years, your prejudices are not based on reality, but on your own stereotypes or predispositions.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:41 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm glad this was posted.

I played soccer as a little kid but by the time I got to HS it was just about winning nothing else to the coach.

I think our society is overly competitive to the point of just being sick.

Everything HAS to be some sort of competition and as long as you win it doesn't matter what you had to do to win. Like for instance steroids and taping the other team etc.

It's really unnecessary and sick when you really think about it.

Jim
Old 01-26-2009, 05:42 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if anyone has asked the question: Why was this game even scheduled by either school? It appears to me that the coach was fired because he disagreed with the winning schools response to this game.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:44 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
Even at the High School level, the objective is NOT to win at any cost. Teams practice to improve their skills. Teams compete in leagues which keep track of wins and loses, and typically award championships to the team with the most wins. Yes, sports is a competitive arena, but it is also a means to teach teamwork, sportsmanship and other values. When team sports seek funding you can be sure they stress what a good character building experience this is, not that they will practice to win, win, win.

This Houston Chronicle columnist hits the nail on the head with his discussion on the "right" way to handle a mismatch.

Solomon: Covenant coach responsible for blowout | Jerome Solomon on Sports | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
"The Yates boys basketball coach regularly enters games knowing his team is far better than its opponent. The Lions’ average margin of victory in their 19 wins is 48 points.

Yates has won games this season by scores of 91-11, 105-34 and 105-35. As difficult as those misprint-appearing numbers make it to believe, they aren’t running up the scores..."
Old 01-27-2009, 09:54 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I find it interesting that this has gotten the attention it has.... Here are some scores I found just looking here in Houston...

Below are 5A schools... so they have to be 'big'...

Madison 102, Sam Houston 2 - Final (Madison is where I went to school... but they have a LOSING record)
Elsik 90, Northbrook 10 - Final
Nimitz 108, Aldine 21 - Final (not quite as bad)

4A school

Brenham 58, Austin 6 - Final (43 -4 at half and both teams with a losing record)
Barbers Hill 74, Northbrook 14 - Final (52-5 at half)
Elsik 90, Northbrook 10 - Final
Nimitz 108, Aldine 21 - Final (57-5 at half)

And an interesting one...

Madison 48, Lee 9 - Final it was 48-7 at half... only 2 points scored the second half... so either they did not play or held the ball the whole time...
Old 01-27-2009, 10:04 AM   #37

It's not just that it was a blowout. I think '100' and '0' are magic numbers. If it were 98-4 it might not get as much attention.

Having said that, it's not so much the margin of victory that many were appalled by, but rather the tactics used by the winners. Keeping the press for the entire game, not benching starters early and firing off three-pointers is pretty classless.

Not only that, but beyond bad sportsmanship it's also bad coaching. If one of your better starters goes down with an injury late in a blowout game that's long since been decided, you look like an idiot because you took unnecessary risks with their health. Plus, it's a good idea to get your bench real-game experience (and not just in practice sessions), because you never know when you'll need them.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:13 AM   #38

Quote:
Madison 48, Lee 9 - Final it was 48-7 at half... only 2 points scored the second half... so either they did not play or held the ball the whole time...
This brings up an interesting point, somewhat the opposite of what happened in the Covenant game.

When I was a senior in HS, we had a very good basketball team, and were undefeated in league play. In our final game, we played the last-placed team in our league. Knowing they couldn't stay with us and would likely be "blown out", they held the ball (there was no shot clock in HS basketball back in those days). It wasn't until near the end of the first half that they took their first shot, and led 2-0 at half-time. In the second half, we were much more aggressive and fouled them, etc. We ended up winning the game 23-19. At the time, there were many who thought the "hold the ball" game plan employed by our opponent was poor sportsmanship. On the other hand, it was the only chance they had to win.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:54 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer2007 View Post

I think our society is overly competitive to the point of just being sick.

I am happy to see that I am not the only one who feels this way. It is such a rare occurrence for me to hear this opinion expressed that it sometimes seems that I am alone in my point if view. Summer, this one sentence made my morning. Now if I can find someone who agrees that "work ethic" is over-rated...
Old 01-27-2009, 12:58 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by noworkethic View Post
I am happy to see that I am not the only one who feels this way. It is such a rare occurrence for me to hear this opinion expressed that it sometimes seems that I am alone in my point if view. Summer, this one sentence made my morning. Now if I can find someone who agrees that "work ethic" is over-rated...
IMO, "work ethic" is a significant reason for the general rise in prosperity over the last few decades.

Having said that, it is possible to be so OCD about it that it feels more like a sickness than a virtue.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote