Join Early Retirement Today
Old 01-27-2009, 12:20 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I seem to recall reading a story about this contest and I believe that it indicated that the coach of the losing team, down 59-0 @ halftime, gave the team an option of forfeiting the game, however the players decided to not do so.

Part-Owner of Texas

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #42
Originally Posted by summer2007 View Post
I think our society is overly competitive to the point of just being sick.
Originally Posted by noworkethic View Post
I am happy to see that I am not the only one who feels this way. It is such a rare occurrence for me to hear this opinion expressed that it sometimes seems that I am alone in my point if view. Summer, this one sentence made my morning. Now if I can find someone who agrees that "work ethic" is over-rated...
I agree! It's not that I can't compete - - I have competed where it mattered and won when it was important. But I have no idea why people want to compete during their off time or when it doesn't matter who wins. This is one reason that I have not "gone online" with my Wii. I like to play games alone, that do not involve competition.

As far as work ethic goes, I have had a HUGE dose of that instilled in me. Now that I am 60 years old, I am looking forward to some "play ethic" or "relaxing ethic" in my life.

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:43 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I did not read the article, but heard on the radio this morning the coach was fired... seems that he kept the starters in the game until the end of the third quarter... a slight change on what happened....

Still, there were many people who could have stopped it IF they wanted..
Now that is disgraceful - even for the kids on his team sitting the bench, I'd be pissed at this coach...wait, he's just like our coach!

Some coaches are just losers themselves who are pushing the kids to win on their behalf - to keep the starters in after a decent lead (20 pts is generous) is just pathetic.

The point is to win, but sometimes short sightedness makes them losers because they only put in players they are comfortable and everyone else loses, never learns or has a chance to get better or show what they can do...

Wondering why the losing team doesn't play with more teams at their level, sounds like they are in the wrong league.
If i think of something clever to say, i'll put it here...
bright eyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:56 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets
I was a volunteer assistant coach for a junior high girls basketball team for 2 years. Good sportsmanship dictated that if you your team was ahead by 20+ points and it was obvious there was a Grand Canyon size gap between the skill level of the two teams, the winning team should not play full or half court presses. You played man-to-man and put in your second and third string players.

Playing any kind of press against a far inferior team does not help the higher skilled players improve their game. A bigger lesson in humanity and sportsmanship was lost when this coach kept utilizing plays against a team that was so far below his players skill level. Shame on him. It's not that I'm against winning a game. I'm against winning a game by humiliating the opposing team.
There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness.
stargazer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:43 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post

Wondering why the losing team doesn't play with more teams at their level, sounds like they are in the wrong league.
I am not an expert in the Texas system... but IIRC this was a 'church' team... and they have their own league... some very good, some very bad...

But even then, I showed where some 'even' teams (based on the number of students going to the school) can be very one sided...

To sum up what most people feel... it was the coach that was the problem... how he handled the situation... not that the team won 100 to 0... and I will agree. Because to me a 102 -2 games is just as bad score wise, but nobody made a stink of that game.. (at least not that I heard).. so that coach must have done something right...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:08 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank You!!

I have the problem of using my own head and so I have opinions that are unique as a result!

summer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
This Houston Chronicle columnist hits the nail on the head with his discussion on the "right" way to handle a mismatch.

Solomon: Covenant coach responsible for blowout | Jerome Solomon on Sports | - Houston Chronicle
"The Yates boys basketball coach regularly enters games knowing his team is far better than its opponent. The Lionsí average margin of victory in their 19 wins is 48 points.

Yates has won games this season by scores of 91-11, 105-34 and 105-35. As difficult as those misprint-appearing numbers make it to believe, they arenít running up the scores..."
Saw a news story today that made me think back to this thread. Yates' state championship basketball team is even better this year...
(from a HS BB web site) Yates, the defending Texas Class 4A state champion, opened the season with a 142-80 win against Dickinson. It has scored 163 against Houston Sam Houston, 148 against Houston Kashmere, 139 against Houston Stephen F. Austin, 131 against San Antonio Country Day, 128 against Houston Westside and 108 against Huntsville (Ala.) Butler this season. Only six times has Yates missed the 100-point mark, and four of those six games were at the Iolani Classic in Hawaii.
They are #1 in the country.

This story made the Chronicle front page today, largely because the frustrated losing team fouled hard, leading to a short fight. (Page 1 in Sports otherwise, i suspect.)

Yates boys set Texas scoring record in 170-35 win | Top stories | - Houston Chronicle

It's been a long time since I have been to high school basketball game. I just might go see these guys play once district play is over and the playoffs start.

Hard to judge these things based only on a news story, but I'm leaning toward the view that these guys are so good that it's hard for any team of 16-18 year olds to keep up. The coach played all 15 on his bench.

Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote