100-0 !

I think the story mentions that there was a full court press most of the game and I saw one of the players say the losing team generally couldn't get the ball past midcourt before it was stolen. They described it as resembling a steal and layup drill for the "winning" team. The "losing" team is a special needs school for learning disabilities with 20 girls in the whole school.

Are you kidding me. If they put on the floor against the Celtics, I have to believe that I could throw at least one up there that would go in! :)

You alone - against five Celtics? I doubt I could score in that situation, unless they fouled me.

I think it's disgraceful that that winning team coach allowed this. At some point he/she should've played all the poorer players on the winning team - and if that didn't work, go to a passing drill - or play with fewer players.

That's what would've (and did) happen when I followed high school basketball (when the dinosoars roamed.)

I think it's disgraceful that that winning team coach allowed this. At some point he/she should've played all the poorer players on the winning team - and if that didn't work, go to a passing drill - or play with fewer players.

That's what would've (and did) happen when I followed high school basketball (when the dinosoars roamed.)
I also think it's kind of silly that you can't agree to just let the clock run down constantly.

Our town's varsity football team won a game 72-0 this last season, and at halftime both coaches agreed to run the clock constantly, even when it would normally stop, just to bring the merciful end as soon as possible. We still scored a lot of points in the second half, but that was because they couldn't stop simple running plays up the middle by the third string offense.

I don't expect players on a winning team to stop trying. But the full court press and three-pointers at that stage of a game is just cruel. That would have been like our football team using trick plays and throwing long passes when the game was already beyond a wipeout.

It's on the coach.

Having coached youth sports for 10+ years, I can tell you this is common place. Don't know what message the kids received, but if any of you are still w*rking in 6 years when these kids are interviewing for a job, let us know what kind of people they are.

Teams practice so that they can win games...that is the idea of a contest.

If team A is not up to the competition, but still decides to compete in the game, they have accepted the challenge. Team B will surely play the game as hard as possible, just as they have practiced. If team B outscores team A by 100 points, so be it. Both teams prepared for the contest and played as well as they could.

Next....

If team A is not up to the competition, but still decides to compete in the game, they have accepted the challenge. Team B will surely play the game as hard as possible, just as they have practiced. If team B outscores team A by 100 points, so be it. Both teams prepared for the contest and played as well as they could.
I would agree if we're talking about professional sports.

Youth sports are about more than just winning -- it's also about building character, teamwork and sportsmanship, life skills that will be important for the rest of their lives.

Youth sports are about more than just winning -- it's also about building character, teamwork and sportsmanship, life skills that will be important for the rest of their lives.

Truer words were never spoken. Both teams had a test of character, teamwork and sportsmanship as well as life skills (whatever that is). You are not always successful is life, but when you are, you can be very successful beyond your wildest dreams.

Sorta like investing...huh?

Teams practice so that they can win games...that is the idea of a contest.

Next....

Teams practice to win... are you sure?
take a survey of why the girls are on those teams and I bet winning is not even in the top 5 reasons:

1) friends are playing
2) like the uniform
3) like the feeling of accomplishment
4) socialize
5) parents want me to

winning might not make the top 10. Your quote reeks of ignorance of youth sports and I hope my kids never play for a coach with your attitude ever.

DS was an okay athlete, never made varsity anything--DH lacks the athletic gene, so DS had no parental help. When he was little DS used to say he wished they could just play without coaches or refs. Ten years out of high school, DS is still playing in rec leagues and pick up games and golfs like crazy, and his friends who were on varsity teams or whose dads were coaches aren't. So those girls on the winning team in the story may be burned out by the time they finish high school.

Teams practice to win... are you sure?
take a survey of why the girls are on those teams and I bet winning is not even in the top 5 reasons:

1) friends are playing
2) like the uniform
3) like the feeling of accomplishment
4) socialize
5) parents want me to

winning might not make the top 10. Your quote reeks of ignorance of youth sports and I hope my kids never play for a coach with your attitude ever.

We can argue back and forth with no outcome, but this is high school sports... not little kids... and yes, they practice to WIN... not to lose.. and I bet WINNING is much higher on the scale than what you have listed...

We can argue back and forth with no outcome, but this is high school sports... not little kids... and yes, they practice to WIN... not to lose.. and I bet WINNING is much higher on the scale than what you have listed...
Yeah, better keep bombing those three-pointers in the second half after it was "only" 59-0. You never know when a miracle comeback will occur that could put winning in doubt... :LOL:

So TexasProud, you think who was winning was ever in doubt in that game?

I didn't make any comment on the game itself... only that both teams went there to play a game and both teams were looking for a win... yes, I think it was a bit overboard to do what was done, but what are you going to teach the kids:confused: Don't try your best if you are so much better than your opponent? If they had the 'worst' players in the game and the other team could not play... so be it...

My old high school had a team one year that was superior to almost everyone they played... their average margin of victory was about 25 points.. and many were in the 50s... they played full court press the whole game, no matter what the score... that is what they were taught and that is what they played... as an opponent, you knew what you were in for before the game... if you did not want to be embarrased, forfeit the game... The story says the girls on the other team moved on and did not think much of it.... and why did the coach not pull the players... after it was 59-0?

I saw on the news the other night where a college team won its first game in something like 70 or so games.... the whole crowd, including the team, was jumping up and down like they had won a championship... is that bad manners on their side?

Not to excuse the 100 point win by any means, but there are so many things wrong about this game. There are only 20 girls in the school--did they have to have a basketball team? The losing team has not won a game in 4 seasons and they lost the next game by a score of 41-8. It sounds like the losing team was always being soundly beaten--the 100-0 game went too far, but what could the losing team's players have been learning from being put into competition game after game, year after year? The losing team's coach has now pulled his team from league play.

Academy basketball coach sees a win in 100-0 loss | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Breaking News for Dallas-Fort Worth | Dallas Morning News

Not to excuse the 100 point win by any means, but there are so many things wrong about this game. There are only 20 girls in the school--did they have to have a basketball team?
Out here, very small high schools often play six-man football. Maybe they do something similar in hoops and they could play a form of sandlot basketball we often played at the schoolyard: two against two, half court.

I have coached HS girls soccer. The girls don't care if they win. You don't know what you are talking about. I have been on both sides of those games and there are no winners in a 100-0 game.

Statement Regarding Dallas Academy Game

It would seem the wining team - or at least the school leadership - shares the opinion of some of the more critical views above.

1/22/2009

The Covenant School, its board and administrators, regrets the incident of January 13 and the outcome of the game with the Dallas Academy Varsity Girls Basketball team. It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened. This clearly does not reflect a Christ-like and honorable approach to competition. We humbly apologize for our actions and seek the forgiveness of Dallas Academy, TAPPS and our community. The school and its representatives in no way support or condone the running up of a score against any team in any sport for any reason. The school’s board members, Head of School Kyle Queal and Athletic Director Brice Helton have acted to ensure that such an unfortunate incident can never happen again.

Covenant school officials have met with and personally apologized to Dallas Academy Headmaster Jim Richardson and Athletic Director Jeremy Civello and wish to extend their highest praise to each member of the Dallas Academy Varsity Girls Basketball team for their strength, composure and fortitude in a game in which they clearly emerged the winner. Accordingly, The Covenant School has contacted TAPPS and is submitting a formal request to forfeit the game recognizing that a victory without honor is a great loss.

Kyle Queal
Head of School

Todd Doshier
Board Chair
The Covenant School ~ School News

Maybe...those girls like to play basketball?

It's interesting to see the attitudes about this drubbing. Can't say I'm surprised how some of you have reacted. :angel:

True, but after straight four years of losses, maybe those girls can play in games like Ziggy suggested, where the playing field is a little more level. Just saying. Nobody likes to be the recipient of the pity applause, my kids always told me.

This is not to excuse the other team's coach for letting his players run up the score.

You know, I don't see it as "pity applause" that the losing team is getting now. Rather, they are receiving a lot of respect for how they continued to play despite the other teams lack of sportsmanship.

I think it's wonderful that these girls are getting so much respect--I read that Mark Cuban has contacted them too. I didn't mean this was a case of what my kids and their friends called pity applause.

Back
Top Bottom