Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-02-2009, 05:31 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Frank has the same problem. The decor in his house hasn't been changed at all since the house was built in 1962. He even has the original furniture, so it is exactly as you say - - like a time capsule. None of this has mattered to him during the five years that he has lived there, but now that we will be selling and moving in the next year or two he is uncertain about what to change or improve.

If he really does a full update, it would cost a bundle. Some of the stuff is good, like real, thick hardwood kitchen cabinets and wrought ironwork holding up the bar-like counter between the kitchen and living room, but some is not so good. So far he has replaced two light fixtures that were no longer working, but that is about it.
Frank's house sounds really neat. I would leave it just as it is, maybe repaint in colors popular during the era and add some 60's stuff from thrift shops. People would go nuts for his place in CA. I recently went to a show at the Carnegie Museum here in Pittsburgh on Palm Springs style...lots of retro post-war modern.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2009, 07:41 AM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
Frank's house sounds really neat. I would leave it just as it is, maybe repaint in colors popular during the era and add some 60's stuff from thrift shops. People would go nuts for his place in CA. I recently went to a show at the Carnegie Museum here in Pittsburgh on Palm Springs style...lots of retro post-war modern.
He loves it that way - - reminds him of days gone by, and I agree that it is really neat! Even the very few pieces of furniture that he has bought and added to the home, are in the same retro style.

I read my post (that you quoted) to him, and due to the expense he agrees with RonBoyd that it would be best not to try updating. We just hope that a buyer with those tastes sees the house once it is on the market.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:56 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There is retro cool and there is down right awful . Where I used to live the house across the street still had the shag carpeting , olive green appliances and the fake panelling. It sat on the market forever until a young couple saw the potential and completely redid it . They bought the house way under the original price so in that case a few updates would have been worth the money.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:18 AM   #24

Fed-nice job. I would love to be able to get my kitchen updated for $1000.00. Yours looks real nice. I am another one that has my kitchen stuck in the 60's look and has the scalloped thingy.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:20 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
...The tile itself was pink but i painted it the same color as the portion below the chair rail around the entire room...
Could you elaborate on this? I really dislike the back splash tile in our kitchen, but I thought replacing it would be the only option... How did you prep the surface (did you use the standard primer/latex paint)? I would love to do the same, but I worry that the paint will peal/chip.

Oh yeah, nice job!
Old 11-02-2009, 05:56 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucija View Post
Could you elaborate on this? I really dislike the back splash tile in our kitchen, but I thought replacing it would be the only option... How did you prep the surface (did you use the standard primer/latex paint)? I would love to do the same, but I worry that the paint will peal/chip.

Oh yeah, nice job!

When i did the tile i first sanded it with a fine grit....200 or so. Cleaned and degreased it very well. Then I used a sub-mariner type spray paint which was very expensive from sherwin williams (made for boats and underwater applications)...just tell them what you are doing....this effectively' primed' the tile, and then i rolled on different colors as the last few year went by. We did the same in our bathroom, and it STILL hasnt chipped...this is IN the shower and I think it was about 10-15 bucks/spray can