Join Early Retirement Today

1040-ES/V Why?
Old 04-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

1040-ES/V Why?

I efiled in early Feb and got our refund 3-4 weeks ago. Today I got a thick envelope from our friends at the IRS (rut-row). I opened it to find a pre addressed 1040-V payment voucher to pay our 2012 taxes with an envelope and preprinted labels - efiled/confirmed almost 2 months ago Also enclosed, 4 pre addressed 2013 1040-ES estimated tax payment vouchers, 4 1040-ES windowed envelopes, and an 8 page publication splaining everything

I've gotten these only a handful of years in my life, most years I get nothing (which is fine by me) - there seems no rhyme or reason to when we get them. I've been using TurboTax for 15 years or so, mostly efiling and using TurboTax vouchers for any estimated tax payments.

I'm not complaining, it makes me sad they wasted the time and your/our money...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I began receiving this package a few years ago, too. I do file paper returns and make some estimated tax payments so this is most welcome. I believe I was receiving this package even when I was getting tax forms in the mail with preprinted labels.

Does anyone get this package simply by sending in 1040-ES (paper or electronic), and the preprinted voucher form is just an added goodie which is now part of the package?

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I got this package too the other day. Last year I didn't. No idea why......
Old 04-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I got this package too the other day. Last year I didn't. No idea why......
Me too, yesterday. First thought was "rut-roh."
Old 04-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Got mine yesterday. Have been doing estimated taxes every year so I consider them handy. I always wind up paying a few dollars over estimated taxes and then rolling over the minor refunds to taxes due for the next year.

I doubt the mailing costs the government much especially if they get more $'s faster that way.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I used to receive them in the mail but never used them. I did use them as a reminder as to when each quarterly payment was due.

Since I've been using TT they produce a set when you print out your copy of the federal return. I don't use those either, but at least it has stopped the IRS from wasting money by sending them to me. I now pay my Estimated taxes via EFTPS. (I am assuming there is a connection.)

I thought that I was the only person thought that this was a poor use of government resources.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I believe if you make estimated tax payments in the current year you get flagged to receive the package for the next year.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I efiled in early Feb and got our refund 3-4 weeks ago. Today I got a thick envelope from our friends at the IRS (rut-row). I opened it to find a pre addressed 1040-V payment voucher to pay our 2012 taxes with an envelope and preprinted labels - efiled/confirmed almost 2 months ago Also enclosed, 4 pre addressed 2013 1040-ES estimated tax payment vouchers, 4 1040-ES windowed envelopes, and an 8 page publication splaining everything

I've gotten these only a handful of years in my life, most years I get nothing (which is fine by me) - there seems no rhyme or reason to when we get them. I've been using TurboTax for 15 years or so, mostly efiling and using TurboTax vouchers for any estimated tax payments.

I'm not complaining, it makes me sad they wasted the time and your/our money...
Do you use EFTPS for your estimated payments? Seems like I stopped getting those envelopes shortly after I started using it.

https://www.eftps.gov/eftps/
Old 04-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
I believe if you make estimated tax payments in the current year you get flagged to receive the package for the next year.
I don't know. I've been estimating taxes for about 10 years or so and I haven't received the envelope from them for a long time.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Do you use EFTPS for your estimated payments? Seems like I stopped getting those envelopes shortly after I started using it.

https://www.eftps.gov/eftps/
I do not, and now it may be a (long) while before we have any estimated taxes due again.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I do not, and now it may be a (long) while before we have any estimated taxes due again.
In that case, this may be the last time you receive such a package in a long while.