Join Early Retirement Today
Old 05-06-2016, 07:58 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I don't know. Seems like the definition of scientific is reproducible results, and I'm the same type (PITA) every time I take it.

"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2016, 08:24 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Not necessarily in that order...

I believe we've discussed this book before. A good read, I thought.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1462587884.148869.jpg

Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:09 AM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe
I know it isn't scientific but still think there is some "truth" to this concept. I have several books on the Myers Briggs topic at home, and it is fascinating and fun to read about all the 16 different MB personality types. And, as another poster alluded to, I think it helps to be more understanding of others whose outlook, motivation, inspiration, perception, and ways of relating are different from your own. My favorite book on the subject is "Gifts Differing: Understanding Personality Type" by Isabel Briggs Myers with Peter B. Myers. I am signing off as an INFP. Hope that didn't miff you - lol!
gumshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:07 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
Back in the day, I was in a technical meeting with the boss and several other engineers. The meeting went on for a while, with the boss talking through the various ideas, trade-offs, etc. Then he looked at me and said "do you think this is the best option? Can you do this? How long will it take?" This caused me a lot of stress an anxiety, and my initial gut reaction (which I didn't share) was "can we send out the proposal via e-mail and then I can look at it and think about it for a while?" Not too long after that, our department had Myers-Briggs training, and I learned that I was an INTJ, and that the boss was an E-something, and at that point I understood why I had felt that way in the meeting.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I found the "article" idiotic containing many statements untrue. It was hard to keep reading the very first false statement, but I persevered. Regarding the very first assertion alone: MBTI work (done well) is actually based on none other than Carl Jung's well-known classification of personality types. There were several other false statements in the pseudo-writing but I'm too bored after reading it to refute them.

Nothing irks me more than click bate and entire books whose few excellent points are buried in fluff. There is just too much outstanding, relevant, and useful information out there to waste time reading what amounts to bad writing. Along those lines, I highly recommend this site for insights from some of the smartest people in investing (and perhaps life as well):
"He who knows that enough is enough will always have enough."
40/60 AA; < 2.5% WR; Delaying SS until 70
ER Date: 5/15/15
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:23 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have always regarded it as a sort of "fun" thing to do.

Sort of like astrology. I was born in June, with sun sign, rising sign, and just about all possible planetary signs in Gemini - - and I am SUCH a Gemini! But really, I'm pretty sure that scientifically there is absolutely nothing to astrology. It's still fun.

Saying that one is an INTJ is more descriptive than data derived, it seems to me. I think we all can at least agree that most of the "tests" online are poorly conceived and poorly written. So who's to say that the official test is that much better? I don't suppose that is very likely. There is some value in saying that one is introverted, judgmental, and so on. These are adjectives, not magic and not science.
INTJ now and forever. Like being a Saint's fan. Took it as a jobshopper in 94, again off the internet after reading early Greaney's forum and a couple times more over the years. I know how to game and shift the answers but in my heart I'm INTJ.

And Pinky and The Brain reruns are still good.

heh heh heh - ok ok so maybe the Royals and Chiefs get some respect also.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:10 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.
I had the test many years ago and thought the result described me pretty well. It was free to me and I never did much with it.
"The mountains are calling, and I must go." John Muir
DrRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:58 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets
I had the test many years ago and thought the result described me pretty well. It was free to me and I never did much with it.
I agree. After I was tested (INTJ of course), I read the personality description and thought "That's me!".

The only other person in our family who has been tested is a DIL and she is INTJ too. Knowing this has been a big help with communication and understanding.
misanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:58 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
We have INTJs as members here at something like 20 times the rate found in a randomly selected group. To me that's enough to say there's something to the MB.
+1. I think it is helpful in realizing that there are certain basic personality groupings with similar traits, whatever label we give them. I have a book called Do What You Are and it has helped me to realize why I liked some of my past jobs better than others.

Plus it is not just this ER/FI forum with the high degree of INTJs. I've noticed it mentioned other forums with a similar focus as well.

If there weren't basic personality types, the Dilbert cartoons and the video below would not be so funny, at least to most INTJ types:

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 01:28 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets
I posted a MBTI thread on Cruiser's Forum which is a sailing forum owned by the same company as this forum. About 50% who responded were INTJ and INTP. They are both rare personality types in the world at large.

I purchased an ebook on INTP for $3. It really opened up the way I understand myself. With introverted thinking and extroverted perception (I think that is right) you are trying to reduce the world into its most basic parts meanwhile you notice so much about the complexity of the outside world it really creates a sense of unease. INTP's often have a sense of searching. This book was not a small read like a horoscope. I am a skeptic and question everything. In the end I learned a lot about myself.

It's funny that the INTP profile is called "the philosopher." I do have a BS in philosophy. Was I attracted to philosophy because I'm INTP or did philosophy shape me into an INTP? Probably a mix of both.

retirementguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote