Join Early Retirement Today

13 Reasons Why The Myers-Briggs Test Is Absolute Nonsense
Old 05-06-2016, 07:02 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

13 Reasons Why The Myers-Briggs Test Is Absolute Nonsense

In a recent thread I noticed a lot of people posting their MBTI types. I'm guessing most of them came through testing at your company? I think the last time I did the test was through a church, decades ago. Either way, I'm a bit miffed to discover how unscientific it is!

13 Reasons Why The Myers-Briggs Test Is Absolute Nonsense | Thought Catalog

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2016, 07:14 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Never have taken that test and have seen other articles similar to the one you link. But yeah, it is mentioned a lot on here--especially "INTJ." (Introvert talking Joisey? )

Old 05-06-2016, 07:56 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I took it a few times at MC, while I agree with most of the info in that article and the lack of science, etc., it did at least for me help me understand my "introvert" tendencies. I think if they'd just stuck with being even more binary, and going E vs. I they'd cover 75% of what they were getting at.

This was decades ago, but finding out that it was normal, that activities like groups/outings/talking drain some people who then need to recharge quietly vs. others who actually gain energy from those things (extroverts) at least made me feel better and plan my days a bit more thoughtfully. It also raised awareness in the E's why everyone wasn't like them, which is helpful because some unaware E's can be all "why don't you want to stay at this party"
Old 05-06-2016, 08:10 AM   #4

I wouldn't be miffed at all, that article seems like nothing but conjecture.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:26 AM   #5

Regardless of the lack of science, taking the test and sharing the results with co-workers helped me to begin to understand how we all think and are internally motivated differently. I had never clued in to the idea that a group of individuals can see a broad spectrum of things when given the same input. I had somehow grown up thinking that we all thought more-or-less the same. So despite the lack of science, it was a good learning tool for me.

ISTP---Strong P in a world of J's
Old 05-06-2016, 08:34 AM   #6

I like the test, and generally agree with my results, but I recognize it is a bit on the pseudo side of science. The minister who married us a million years ago had us do them, and I've taken it a few times over the years with basically the same results.
I proudly wear the "ER MBTI" ISTJ label, though.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
I had never clued in to the idea that a group of individuals can see a broad spectrum of things when given the same input.
I've never taken this particular test, but 45+ years ago, when I returned to school, I recall taking another one, (the name of which I do not remember), which sounds as if it may have had some (vague) similarity.

The test I responded to, I took at the same time as a guy I got along with and with whom I presumed I had much in common.

The test results showed '0' and '100' as 'extremes' (negative & positive) with '50' (of course) being 'middle of the road'.

My results were almost exclusively either '1' or '99' (or in that general area), while his were generally ranging from around '48' to '52'.

(I told people, after taking the test but before the results were back, that IMO the multiple choice questions really had only one possible answer, and I recall providing a fabricated question along the lines of "Would you prefer to spend the evening with an attractive member of the opposite sex, our would you rather clean out toilets with your toothbrush?")

I saw him in a different light after that, and doubtless he did the same with me.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:32 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've always known that there is a lot of pseudoscience involved in that sort of thing, but of course I'm a Gemini.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:46 AM   #9

I believe the MBTI is useful to help understand your basic tendencies for how you look at the world. I don't believe any psychological test is ever without uncertainty, we are too complex to divide into set definition boxes.

As an engineer, I do fit into the general INTJ characteristics.

I joke here at work my type is DGAS (don't give a sh!t), since I am past any career goals or aspirations, just working primarily for the insurance.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:13 PM   #10
Administrator

I have always regarded it as a sort of "fun" thing to do.

Sort of like astrology. I was born in June, with sun sign, rising sign, and just about all possible planetary signs in Gemini - - and I am SUCH a Gemini! But really, I'm pretty sure that scientifically there is absolutely nothing to astrology. It's still fun.

Saying that one is an INTJ is more descriptive than data derived, it seems to me. I think we all can at least agree that most of the "tests" online are poorly conceived and poorly written. So who's to say that the official test is that much better? I don't suppose that is very likely. There is some value in saying that one is introverted, judgmental, and so on. These are adjectives, not magic and not science.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I've always known that there is a lot of pseudoscience involved in that sort of thing, but of course I'm a Gemini.
I always considered it one (very small) notch above astrology. Frankly, much of psychology seems to be only a small notch above astrology ;-)
Old 05-06-2016, 12:57 PM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

I find the personality typing to be helpful. No, it is not exact but it is startling how accurate the type descriptions can be for people. Definitely helps me understand other people's perspectives. YMMV...
Old 05-06-2016, 12:59 PM   #13

We have INTJs as members here at something like 20 times the rate found in a randomly selected group. To me that's enough to say there's something to the MB.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:27 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

What were the circumstances whereby you were taking the test?
I'd never heard of any of it until I stumbled across it at ER.
I guess I don't get out from under my rock enough.

GiF

This is your life....and it's ending one minute at a time.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
We have INTJs as members here at something like 20 times the rate found in a randomly selected group. To me that's enough to say there's something to the MB.
+1

Signed, an INTJ.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:14 PM   #16

You Gemini sorts! So flighty!

-signed, a Capricorn

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
There is that, and in all the online versions out there that I've taken I come out consistently as INTJ or ISTJ with not much difference in the ranking for N or S. DW consistently comes out ISTJ.

The first time I found it was a DOS program that I found on a local BBS. (You whippersnappers will have to Goggle "BBS".)

All that said I wouldn't base any life-altering decisions on it either, just another piece of life's puzzle.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:15 PM   #18

More important is not your code, but which Star Wars character is most your type. Personally, I'm mostly Vader depending on how E or I I feel that day. No wonder nobody likes me.

Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:26 PM   #19

I have always had trouble with this test. Depending on what aspect of my life or work I am thinking about, I can score almost any of the results.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:38 PM   #20

Professionally I have used it for conflict resolution in the workplace, marriage/family counseling and career exploration. When people see something they automatically assume everyone else sees it the same way. When the results are explained to them they start to realize the many differences people can have without judging them.