Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 10:17 PM   #161
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
Well. If I place a question mark after a sentence I guess I am writing a sentence that is a question? I think?

Does that answer your question?
From what I see, you are making a statement and adding a question mark on it. That doesn't make it a question. For a question, you have to make a request for information. Something like this:

"Can someone here explain to me the process for drying out leather?"

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2014, 10:28 PM   #162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It seems to me that we are actually conducting somewhat of an experiment to see the effects of minimum wages with the differing wages in the various states. We will have in a couple of years actual data to compare the states and their economic performance. As well as for example to compare Seattle to Bellevue (just accross the lake in WA). So let some of the states perform as the labs of democracy, and we can see whose version of the results will come to pass.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:32 PM   #163
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
As a stockholder I only care about one thing: Is this business the best investment for my hard-earned dollars? Will it continue to grow and make a profit and pay dividends and will the stock price continue to increase? If not I don't want to have anything to do with it.
Nothing personal, it's just business.
And people act as if they think the world owes them a "living wage". News flash! The world doesn't owe you anything except, perhaps, the chance to try. A lot of people don't even get that. And that's why those people want to come to America.
+1
Old 09-07-2014, 10:50 PM   #164
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
From what I see, you are making a statement and adding a question mark on it. That doesn't make it a question. For a question, you have to make a request for information. Something like this:

"Can someone here explain to me the process for drying out leather?"
My statements are also questions. It is possible.

I am requesting thought. Its freestyle.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:54 PM   #165
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I am doing pretty well also but I really lucked out working long term for a very successful megacorp combined with hard work.
Here is the problem now though in America?
20 to 25 years ago college grads and most high school grads could find a living wage job.
Globalization and technology and Corp. America and politics have changed the game for the American worker?
Is anybody looking out for the American worker? No
Is anybody looking out for Corp. Americas interests? Yes
How can the average worker really take responsibility in a economy that favors only the employer?
You have to admit that this economy is brutal for even college grads?
Considering my background, and where I started from, I do not feel that I "lucked out". I feel that I made certain choices to get where I am today and I am not ashamed about them. I did receive help from some very important people who came into my life, but at the end of the day it was up to me to take advantage of that help, or not. It is my responsibility to take care of me, at the end of the day I have only me to blame if it doesnít work out.
I do believe that the "politics" that have developed over the past decades are the biggest threat to most Americans, but I also feel that we get exactly what we deserve (we get what we vote for, or donít vote for as the case may be).
I believe that a hard working individual can still achieve the ďAmerican DreamĒ, if that is what they really want and are willing to put in the required effort for the long haul.
I have not seen any information that has convinced me that raising the minimum wage will be of any long term benefit to the average American worker or citizen.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:06 PM   #166
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well. If I place a question mark after a sentence I guess I am writing a sentence that is a question? I think?

Does that answer your question?
I will take that as a yes.

- Will Rogers
Old 09-07-2014, 11:22 PM   #167
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I often see anger expressed in the "letters to the editor" section of the local paper expressing disgust at politicians for their failure to "create jobs".

Okay how, exactly, does one "create jobs"?

Someone sees a market opportunity that others have not. They offer a product or service that either no one else does or they've found a way to offer an existing product or service at a lower price.

Someone takes a risk to start a new business. One reads often out how some of them started. Mortgaged their homes, maxed out their credit cards, and once in a while one succeeds, and wildly. These people are celebrated because their risk-taking and hard work was rewarded. Another Horatio Alger story. The forgotten part is that the majority of course go bankrupt and sink into oblivion. They are remembered (if at all) as fools. Well, that's why it is risky to start a new business and why most of us don't!

So as their business grows, they need to hire help. In order to continue to exist a business must show a profit. (Why, in a capitalist society, some people think "profit" is a dirty word is a puzzle to me. It is the sole reason for taking a financial risk in the first place!) So in order to keep their expenses low and make a profit, and thus continue to exist and employ people, the business must obtain the help they need at the lowest possible price, or at least at a price lower than their competitors. That means that if Burger King is paying their workers $7.25/hour then McDonald's cannot afford to pay their workers $15/hour or their expenses, and therefore the price of their products, will price them out of business.

Okay, I get it's a bit more complicated than that.

But here's the thing. Like most of the people on this board I own stocks. Okay, they're in an index fund but they're stocks nonetheless. As a stockholder, I have exactly zero interest in what those businesses are paying their employees.

As a stockholder I only care about one thing: Is this business the best investment for my hard-earned dollars? Will it continue to grow and make a profit and pay dividends and will the stock price continue to increase? If not I don't want to have anything to do with it.

Nothing personal, it's just business.

And people act as if they think the world owes them a "living wage". News flash! The world doesn't owe you anything except, perhaps, the chance to try. A lot of people don't even get that. And that's why those people want to come to America.
I own individual stocks and index funds,ETFs,etc and to tell you the truth I am kind of sick of this race to the bottom mentality on Wall street.

Ofcourse I care about profits and dividends. But part time workers on call that make $10hr have to be available to work up to the last minute depending on last minute employee scheduling software decisions and aren't even guaranteed work hours. Come on. That is just ridiculous.

We now have this part time job economy and millions of people are working 2 or 3 jobs into their 30s making no income living with their parents.

I am sorry but I just can't feel good about this current work culture.

The home builders are screwed. Nobody is going to be buying houses in this millennial generation economy.

I agree with making a solid investment in a company but shouldn't we pay some attention to how companies treat their employees and act as corporate
citizens?

Apple and Nike and many companies have had to make big changes because of how they conduct business in the world.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:28 PM   #168
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucantes View Post
Considering my background, and where I started from, I do not feel that I "lucked out". I feel that I made certain choices to get where I am today and I am not ashamed about them. I did receive help from some very important people who came into my life, but at the end of the day it was up to me to take advantage of that help, or not. It is my responsibility to take care of me, at the end of the day I have only me to blame if it doesnít work out.
I do believe that the "politics" that have developed over the past decades are the biggest threat to most Americans, but I also feel that we get exactly what we deserve (we get what we vote for, or donít vote for as the case may be).
I believe that a hard working individual can still achieve the ďAmerican DreamĒ, if that is what they really want and are willing to put in the required effort for the long haul.
I have not seen any information that has convinced me that raising the minimum wage will be of any long term benefit to the average American worker or citizen.
How will adding billions in wages to fuel our economy not benefit anyone?

Yes prices will go up here and there. So what. They need to.

Walmart and McDonalds and Starbucks wouldn't miss a beat.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:40 PM   #169
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My statements are also questions. It is possible.

I am requesting thought. Its freestyle.
I give up......
Old 09-07-2014, 11:40 PM   #170
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
How will adding billions in wages to fuel our economy not benefit anyone?
Yes prices will go up here and there. So what. They need to.

Walmart and McDonalds and Starbucks wouldn't miss a beat.
To me this is nothing more than stealing in its most basic form. I do not believe that it is adding anything to the economy, it is just taking from one group to give to another.
I have not seen any data suggesting that prices need to go up, what are you basing this on?
Every stockholder in those companies would miss a beat and I am one of them and my vote would be no.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:59 PM   #171
Moderator Emeritus

Thank you, everyone, for your thoughtful contributions to this topic. It's time to draw down the curtains, though. Don't worry, there will be more topics to debate in the morning.