Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 08:58 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Exactly what does this topic have to do with early retirement? What could possibly be posted here that would be remotely actionable for anyone interested in retirement? The moderators have suprised me with this one.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2015, 09:02 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
+1. I prefer threads that have something in common with early retirement.

If you decide to change genders, it could lead to early retirement?

😬

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply
Old 04-26-2015, 09:08 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
Exactly what does this topic have to do with early retirement? What could possibly be posted here that would be remotely actionable for anyone interested in retirement? The moderators have suprised me with this one.
There are a lot of threads out there that really have nothing at all to do with ER. If it's too hard to not click on this thread or it annoys you to see it pop up on the radar, hit the "Thread Tools" pull down near the top of this page and select "Ignore this thread" and you'll never have to see it again.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:11 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
People are fascinated by celebrities. and whatever they do. I'm not, but a whole lot of people are. And there is a whole lot of money in it. Not only is Ms. Jenner a celebrity, but the whole family is composed of celebrities. Of course this is going to be a big deal.

If a person doesn't want to be exposed to the celebrity culture, you've got a problem because it is everywhere.
Some people are fascinated by celebrities. I bet quite a few people are like me and couldn't care less.

Celebrity is just a media creation. If you control your exposure to unwanted media, you aren't bombarded by celebrities or airplane crashes or whatever.

It's actually not everywhere. I'm exposed to very little as I don't watch news, or cable, etc. the only place its in my face is the checkout counter and there I ignore most of it. Another perk of self checkout - way fewer magazines in your face.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:43 PM   #45

I watched it. He seemed very genuine. Diane Sawyer asked very little in the 1st hour and Bruce just wanted to talk. Just wanted to unburden and finally speak for himself.

Of all the Olympic athletes whose names I could remember, if you asked me to name one who would be transgender, it would not have been him.

I wish the Kardashians would go off and do something else, I am not a follower of any of them. But they and all the many assorted Jenners are this man's family.

As a human, I find his story interesting. I don't care that he was famous or that he is/was attached to those K people. He has suffered in a very unique way that the rest of us cannot imagine, and his story is interesting.

The part that got me choked up is when one of his son's (marriage #2, I think) told Diane that when his Dad told him the truth, he thought, "now it all makes sense." Something had always been there and Bruce hid it the best he could.

What I find wrong is that Bruce married 3 times, telling all 3 wives that this was his situation after they were married and had kids.

I hope he is successful in this new phase of his life and that he/she finds the peace we all deserve in being true to ourselves.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:45 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
...It the dude wants his junk chopped off, What do I care? Just keep it to yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Between whacking cable...
Way too much information. This is something you might want to keep to yourself (But, what do I know, as I think my asset allocation may be off a bit).
Old 04-26-2015, 11:12 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I didn't see it but saw some of the promos. It is automatically recorded to my DVR but I doubt that I will watch it. I could care less. The guy is a bit of a freak but to each his own. I seem to recall Joe Namath had a philosophy that he should be able to do anything he wanted as long as he didn't hurt himself or anyone else.

What I resent is that we are bombarded with this stuff. They don't have tv specials on guys that want to be guys and like girls, or on girls that want to be girls and like guys, so why do we have to put up with a tv special about a guy who wants to be a girl and likes girls?
pb4uski is offline   Reply
Old 04-26-2015, 11:32 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

I grew up and still consider myself Catholic. I remember as a little girl being required to wear a veil on my head when in church, and if we didn't have one, we were taken to the girls restroom where toilet tissue was put on our head instead.

I remember the sermons and the outrage when stores were going to be open on Sundays.

I remember the discussions when a Catholic wanted to marry a Protestant, or someone else who was not Catholic.

I remember the outrage when a Caucasian was going to marry someone of a different race.

Today, I see and hear things about others that we don't quite understand.

I watched with interest this week the news story featuring the parents of very young children who identified themselves as being of the opposite sex.

I grew up, and still live, in a predominantly Caucasian, conservative area.

While I don't pretend to understand the choices everyone makes, I think I understand that sometimes there are choices, and sometimes not. Over time, it seems we become more aware, and perhaps more accepting of others who are different from us. But now that I have more time in retirement, I am trying really hard to get educated, to understand, and to be more accepting.

I do believe that many who are judged, would gladly trade places with us. I guess my point is that when our only exposure is the media, when done tastefully, it does foster for me some understanding.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:45 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Did not watch the interview.... but have not been able to miss some of the clips.. as many other have said, not anything I worry about...

Now, they did talk about it on a political show today... and someone said that the people who change genders do not find the happiness they were looking for... that some states have banned something (I believe they cannot get the operation in that state) because of this....

To me this is less of an issue than gay marriage... if someone changes, there are no new benefits created, no changes to family dynamics... it only affects the person that does it....
Old 04-26-2015, 11:47 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
They don't have tv specials on guys that want to be guys and like girls, or on girls that want to be girls and like guys, so why do we have to put up with a tv special about a guy who wants to be a girl and likes girls?
There is no need for TV specials on "guys that want to be guys and like girls", because that is already the default in our culture. It is already everywhere, because the majority of the population are straight and not transgender. We straight non-transgender people don't need any special media coverage, because we are already supported by the wider culture. If transgender people were understood and accepted by our culture, there would be no need for this kind of coverage. Hopefully one day there won't be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
I do believe that many who are judged, would gladly trade places with us. I guess my point is that when our only exposure is the media, when done tastefully, it does foster for me some understanding.
Hear, hear. All they are asking for is some understanding, and to not to have to suffer discrimination, so that they can live their lives in peace.

I am a little surprised that in a forum where we often discuss the experience of being outside the norm, with regards to our saving and investing practices, there is not more understanding of others who live outside societal norms in other ways.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:53 PM   #51

One of my coworkers went through the surgery. She became a complete man once it was done. Although there were whispers, life went on as it was in the company. That was 16 years ago. I think Jenner's story is a news largely b/c he was a celebrity, and a world's best athlete. I didn't watch the interview b/c I was busy living my life .
Old 04-26-2015, 11:56 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
The place I hate the most is the checkout at the grocery store and those awful magazines. And the local news pushing their own programs. and so on. On the other hand, I don't want to cut off so much that I'm in a bubble and totally out of touch with society.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Whenever I'm in a store that has all the people-interest and gossip rag magazines at the checkout, I am equally amused and turned off by the sheer amount of cr@p that is peddled to the public. It makes my head hurt!

On a similar note, I hate being in any kind of a public waiting room that has TV's in the wall playing network TV. Having to wait in a room and be forcefully subjected to the likes of The Maury Povich show is quite a depressing experience. Network TV, especially in the daytime, is a vacuous wasteland.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:52 AM   #53

17m watch Bruce Jenner interview

I try to abide by the teachings of my faith that it's not my place to judge, so I attempt to treat everyone with respect when I interact with people in public, my home or in a work place. When people over step and try to force an agenda I do my best to avoid a situation I'm not comfortable with. I've never been interested in celebrities or their personal lives or agenda and tend to ignore them.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:11 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

What is the "agenda" people keep talking about? And who is forcing anything? Ignoring things you don't agree with is a healthy approach - too many people seem to be taking offence to an interview they didn't have to watch. What is the popular media's agenda here? Is it really anything other than making money? As investors, we should expect that the media companies are running with this story because and only because it will attract viewers/readers.

Gender reassignment has been around for decades. Why is it getting so much attention now? Because it's Bruce Jennerkardashian! Lots of people want to hear or read what she has to say because she's famous! For people who want to watch/read, especially people around the world who are struggling with the same issues, this is a huge relief to hear about someone in the same situation. It also makes it easier to discuss the topic with family and friends.

For people who aren't interested, accept that the popular media isn't just about you. You don't have to watch. Change the channel, buy a different magazine, and don't expect the media to hide what's going on in the world to protect your sensitive feelings.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:45 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I didn't watch the interview b/c I was busy living my life .

That...

Don't have young children, but I do feel Brewer's pain about explaining these sorts of things to the kiddos.

HFWR is offline   Reply
Old 04-27-2015, 07:01 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Options - I watched it last night and thought it was excellent. I had never watched the Kardashians (didn't even know Jenner was one of them until this brou ha ha arose) and I was somewhat off put by the whole thing because of the clownish portrayal of Jenner in the media over the last few months. I should have realized that the poor guy was tormented and suffering over his "situation" for 60 years and petrified to be truthful because of the certain media attention and the impact on his kids.

Those who expressed irritation at being exposed to this and feel the PC police are after you, I don't think you are being fair to the reality around us. Gays have been beat up and mocked for millennia and transgender are despised, humiliated and killed for simply being what God made them. Giving voice to a prominent athlete who has the courage to tell us his story is not somehow forcing his choices on you or anyone else. It appears to be true that the tide of public opinion is changing. If it changes to the point that you find yourselves reluctant to publicly express your opinions on the matter, rejoice: that will give you a chance to experience a tiny bit of what those you don't want to hear from have felt for a lifetime. But remember, you will only feel reluctant to say what you think, they were afraid to be what they are.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:21 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Don't have young children, but I do feel Brewer's pain about explaining these sorts of things to the kiddos.
That part is pretty easy: "Most boys like girls. Most girls like boys. Buy some boys like boys and some girls like girls. A few boys feel like they are girls inside, so they want to change their bodies to be girls. And a few girls feel like they are boys inside. People are different and have different feelings."

When the law was changed in Canada in 2003, our six-year-old niece was excited that her uncles would be getting married because it meant she would get to wear her party dress and earrings to the wedding. Our eight-year-old nephew was happy because it meant he would have a "guy cousin" now, in addition to his three 'girl cousins". Seriously, that is how they responded. Children are very accepting of differences. Fearing difference is something they learn from adults.

The hard part, I think, would be explaining wars and terrorisms, murder and rape, gun vioence and gang violence. Would anyone ever say that the media should keep quiet about thingslike the Columbine and Aurora shootings to keep children from being afraid?
Old 04-27-2015, 08:13 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis65 View Post
That part is pretty easy: "Most boys like girls. Most girls like boys. Buy some boys like boys and some girls like girls. A few boys feel like they are girls inside, so they want to change their bodies to be girls. And a few girls feel like they are boys inside. People are different and have different feelings."
+1. I had a very non-diverse upbringing. It wasn't until college and then moving to a more diverse area after college that I got exposed to a lot more different races, religions, and lifestyles. I wasn't very comfortable around with some of these differences and at times I still struggle with it many years later. I think I would've benefited a lot by growing up with more differences, even if it was just seeing them on the news, and getting an explanation that people can look and act differently and that's ok, but they are still basically the same. My family member doesn't want to be defined as being trans, he wants to be known as the person he is, who happens to be trans.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:52 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
If transgender people were understood and accepted by our culture, there would be no need for this kind of coverage. Hopefully one day there won't be.
Although the cynic in me thinks that these sorts of interviews have little to do with altruism, and a lot to do with voyeurism...

HFWR is offline   Reply
Old 04-27-2015, 09:23 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Although the cynic in me thinks that these sorts of interviews have little to do with altruism, and a lot to do with voyeurism...
Probably little to do with either, and a lot to do with getting 17M viewers. Maybe there was a lot of voyeurism in those 17M, but maybe they learned more than they got from paparazzi pictures.