17m watch Bruce Jenner interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Wow.. big numbers. I thought Sawyer handled it well and it changed my perception of Jenner...which was very negative based simply on his ties to the whole Kardashian train wreck... Jenner came across to me as sincere, articulate and brave. Did you watch?

Could care less about Jenner, Kardashians, etc., etc.,etc.

If he/she is finding happiness, good for him/her.

There was a hockey playoff game on at the same time, so we watched that instead.

I didn't watch the entire interview - I assume it's online, like everything else these days, so may catch it at some point.

I did see some long excerpts, and I agree, I think he is extremely brave to go public with his story. It was very evident that he has been in pain "living a lie" for decades, so more power to him if he can find happiness now.

The only thing that bothers me is that he is apparently going to be doing a "reality" show documenting his transition, and that seems a bit exploitative to me.

On the other hand, due to his wealth and celebrity, he has a platform, and if he is able to save some lives or give some hope to young folks struggling with this issue by documenting his journey, then good for him.

It's too strange. Men who are women, not the same as men who dress as women, nor men who like men or women who like women, ... not that there's anything wrong with that...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

It's too strange. Men who are women, not the same as men who dress as women, nor men who like men or women who like women, ... not that there's anything wrong with that...

Agree 100%. Guess in my old age I've become a real liberal on social issues.

I don't understand the hub-bub. It the dude wants his junk chopped off, What do I care? Just keep it to yourself.

Some of this stuff has gone beyond thoughtful - almost to exhibitionist. Unless it is in good taste I don't think it is helpful to others struggling with this issue.

Deleted

Last edited:
I don't agree with those here who say it's strange. It's pretty simple - your psychological and your physical gender identity are separate things, and don't always match.

Like others here, I am also in two minds about this. I'm not keen on the way the media have turned this into something of a circus freakshow spectacle. It is not - this is simply a person who was born physically male, who is psychologically female. It's more common than many of us might realize. On the other hand, he seems to have played his part in courting this media attention.

However, in the big scheme of things, it will help to raise awareness and hopefully get us all to the point where this stuff is understood by all, so we can all live and let live, and get on with our lives. It's really not complicated.

I don't agree with those here who say it's strange. It's pretty simple - your psychological and your physical gender identity are separate things, and don't always match.

Like others here, I am also in two minds about this. I'm not keen on the way the media have turned this into something of a circus freakshow spectacle. It is not - this is simply a person who was born physically male, who is psychologically female. It's more common than many of us might realize. On the other hand, he seems to have played his part in courting this media attention.

However, in the big scheme of things, it will help to raise awareness and hopefully get us all to the point where this stuff is understood by all, so we can all live and let live, and get on with our lives. It's really not complicated.

It is (theoretically) a free country. You want to switch horses in the middle of the race, knock yourself out. But keep it to yourself. I don't want or need to hear about it. Neither do my kids.

I don't understand the hub-bub. It the dude wants his junk chopped off, What do I care? Just keep it to yourself.

+1

Glad I missed everything.

At least now I know why his older face is on the checkout tabloids.

Wait...... I didn't really want to know that either! Dang!

Can I get that brain space back?

Last edited:

It is (theoretically) a free country. You want to switch horses in the middle of the race, knock yourself out. But keep it to yourself. I don't want or need to hear about it. Neither do my kids.

Exactly. Whatever you do, do it, and more power to you. But needing to be on TV/social media, for whatever reason, shows the real disease. And people worry about Bird Flu.

The suicide rate among transgender youth is off the charts. If Jenner's public acknowledgement of his struggle and his journey can save one or more young lives, he is making a contribution beyond measure. IMHO.

The suicide rate among transgender youth is off the charts. If Jenner's public acknowledgement of his struggle and his journey can save one or more young lives, he is making a contribution beyond measure. IMHO.

Then he should start a youth gender confused support group, not grub whatever national freakshow attention he can get.

He is free to express himself and I am free to ignore him. As for what he is doing with his body, I just don't care. I cut Cable TV a few weeks ago and I am not missing anything apparently.

I cut Cable TV a few weeks ago and I am not missing anything apparently.

I hear that. Finally got out of contract with Comcast and killed both the phone and cable effective tomorrow. $80/month savings and a cessation of overseas scammer phone calls, how can I lose?

I didn't watch the Jenner interview. However, I believe it serves a very useful societal purpose for someone who is already well-known to come out as transgender. In just the past 5 years, there has been a major swing in public sentiment regarding same-sex marriage. That change in public attitude didn't happen by itself. It came about because over the past few decades, more and more people came out as gay. Gay characters began to appear in movies and on TV. More and more people including celebrities, politicians, athletes, family members, friends, co-workers, and neighbors came out. All of this began to snowball, and suddenly most people knew someone who is gay. It's hard to hate someone or discriminate against someone who you already knew and liked before finding out that they happen to be gay.

Jenner going public is an important step for the society's understanding and awareness of transgender individuals. It is important for adults, but it is also important for kids to know that transgender people exist. Some of those kids, and some the parents of those kids, will eventually face the issue personally.

Kardashians, OTOH, serve no useful purpose that I can see.

I didn't watch the Jenner interview. However, I believe it serves a very useful societal purpose for someone who is already well-known to come out as transgender. In just the past 5 years, there has been a major swing in public sentiment regarding same-sex marriage. That change in public attitude didn't happen by itself. It came about because over the past few decades, more and more people came out as gay. Gay characters began to appear in movies and on TV. More and more people including celebrities, politicians, athletes, family members, friends, co-workers, and neighbors came out. All of this began to snowball, and suddenly most people knew someone who is gay. It's hard to hate someone or discriminate against someone who you already knew and liked before finding out that they happen to be gay.

Jenner going public is an important step for the society's understanding and awareness of transgender individuals. It is important for adults, but it is also important for kids to know that transgender people exist. Some of those kids, and some the parents of those kids, will eventually face the issue personally.

Kardashians, OTOH, serve no useful purpose that I can see.

Not to be pigheaded, but lesbian and gay population is, what, 3 to 5% or the population? Transgender/gender confused/term of the day is ??% Must we all be bombarded with the issues of a tiny minority?

He is free to express himself and I am free to ignore him. As for what he is doing with his body, I just don't care. I cut Cable TV a few weeks ago and I am not missing anything apparently.

Yep, exactly! What a relief!

Not to be pigheaded, but lesbian and gay population is, what, 3 to 5% or the population? Transgender/gender confused/term of the day is ??% Must we all be bombarded with the issues of a tiny minority?

I really wonder how you think that you are being "bombarded" with just one show. And maybe someone watching this will understand a little more if their kid is in the same situation, that they are not merely just choosing to "cut their junk off"

5% is still 15 million Americans.

I really wonder how you think that you are being "bombarded" with just one show. And maybe someone watching this will understand a little more if their kid is in the same situation, that they are not merely just choosing to "cut their junk off"

5% is still 15 million Americans.

Great, and I would never suggest these people be discriminated against, treated poorly, etc. Just live your life and don't tell me how to live mine. The media and certain elements of society seem to have other ideas and I am not buying it.

People are fascinated by celebrities. and whatever they do. I'm not, but a whole lot of people are. And there is a whole lot of money in it. Not only is Ms. Jenner a celebrity, but the whole family is composed of celebrities. Of course this is going to be a big deal.

If a person doesn't want to be exposed to the celebrity culture, you've got a problem because it is everywhere.

If a person doesn't want to be exposed to the celebrity culture, you've got a problem because it is everywhere.

Between whacking cable, self-censoring what I click online, and switching to satellite radio, I generally do not have that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom