17m watch Bruce Jenner interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great, and I would never suggest these people be discriminated against, treated poorly, etc. Just live your life and don't tell me how to live mine. The media and certain elements of society seem to have other ideas and I am not buying it.

+1

Between whacking cable, self-censoring what I click online, and switching to satellite radio, I generally do not have that problem.

We can control those things. The place I hate the most is the checkout at the grocery store and those awful magazines. And the local news pushing their own programs. and so on. On the other hand, I don't want to cut off so much that I'm in a bubble and totally out of touch with society.

Great, and I would never suggest these people be discriminated against, treated poorly, etc. Just live your life and don't tell me how to live mine. The media and certain elements of society seem to have other ideas and I am not buying it.

I agree heartily with those sentiments but I don't see anyone in this area telling anyone how to live their lives. Who do you see?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I agree heartily with those sentiments but I don't see anyone in this area telling anyone how to live their lives. Who do you see?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Everywhere I turn. Facebook, major networks, anything from the gubmint, etc. It requires mental energy just to ensure I have cleared my mind and my judgments are really mine. I find being miles into the woods helps.

One of my BILs falls into that category also. He's as strange as Jenner. Did not see the show but a friend mentioned it today and he said that he got the impression that Bruce felt that he was always a girl but is sexually attracted to women. Does that make him/her a lesbian?

Like I said, strange.

Not to be pigheaded, but lesbian and gay population is, what, 3 to 5% or the population? Transgender/gender confused/term of the day is ??% Must we all be bombarded with the issues of a tiny minority?
Why does the number matter?

Nobody is being harmed by Jenner. Some folks in the general population feeling "uncomfortable" is the de minimus price paid for progress to occur.

I thought it was a good interview. There is a transgender person in my family so I've learned a lot about the subject and am probably more accepting and comfortable with it than most. Nobody would choose to have this life. It's hard. Especially for a celebrity like Jenner. The media was not going to let this go, so I imagine that's why he (since he was still presenting as Bruce I guess "he" is still acceptable, but it sounds like next time it will be "she") wanted to get his story out there, and Sawyer let him tell it. My family member would rather just live his life and be accepted for who he is, and has not and probably would not do any interviews, as far as I know.

It's a real story. When transgenders are no longer getting beaten up for being trans, and do not have to fear for their jobs just for being trans, it won't be news anymore. Silence, and sticking your head in the sand or up your ass is not going to fix these problems. It may not seem like that much of an issue until someone close to you has to deal with it. Then the jokes aren't funny, and the ignorance is disturbing.

Last edited:
Some of us certainly feel that such things as the Jenner interview do not amount to "progress." And I myself do feel bombarded by the politically correct direction of today's society. To dissent from feeling this is "progress" is considered hate speech and severely censored by many.

I thought it was a good interview. There is a transgender person in my family so I've learned a lot about the subject and am probably more accepting and comfortable with it than most. Nobody would choose to have this life. It's hard. Especially for a celebrity like Jenner. The media was not going to let this go, so I imagine that's why he (since he was still presenting by Bruce I guess "he" is still acceptable, but it sounds like next time it will be "she") wanted to get his story out there, and Sawyer let him tell it. My family member would rather just life his life and be accepted for who he is, and has not and probably would not do any interviews, as far as I know.

It's a real story. When transgenders are no longer getting beaten up for being trans, and do not have to fear for their jobs just for being trans, it won't be news anymore. Silence, and sticking your head in the sand or up your ass is not going to fix these problems. It may not seem like that much of an issue until someone close to you has to deal with it. Then the jokes aren't funny, and the ignorance is disturbing.

Exactly.

I don't agree with those here who say it's strange. It's pretty simple - your psychological and your physical gender identity are separate things, and don't always match.

The human mind is a fascinating realm. Few truly understand how so many things can impact you in so many ways. Just one tiny incident in one's youth can have profound impacts for the rest of your life, for one example.

To say that "I feel _________" and instantly pronounce that person 'correct' or 'empowered' and is in no way POSSIBLY (not guaranteed, but possibly) influenced by a variety of influences on the human psyche past or present is no different than someone who is an alcoholic saying 'I feel like having a drink' and saying "Well, that man says he wants a glass of vodka, who are you to deny him that?" Maybe they are wired to be an alcoholic, or maybe there were factors that are driving him to seek refuge in alcohol that could otherwise be offset or negated?

If you assume that anything and everything one feels is 'natural' or somehow 'how one MUST be wired' and can't possibly be effected by anything in one's past is quite frightening, really.....as it then nullifies a number of environmental-induced behaviors and psychological tendencies.

Are some people born with a variety of behaviors and feelings and inclinations? Of course.

Are some people influenced to act out a certain way because of things that have happened to them in the past? Of course.

But there appears to be no room for the latter, as they are being pushed to be grouped to the former.

It's actually quite a fascinating dilemma: on the one hand, some people say that evolution is everything, and life is solely determined by your genetic make-up. However, then how do you explain someone who "feels" like they are a sexual identity that is different from what their genes say they "should" be? Do we go by their genetic code/evolution, or does their psyche somehow over-rule their genetic code? In which case, then what is one's psyche in relation to evolution - is it their "soul"? Something that over-rules evolution and the genetic code?

So if the psyche can be independent from their evolutionary genetic code...then are you saying that we aren't, then, bound by our genetic code and DNA to have certain inclinations - which is why some people "feel" like they are a different gender?

I really wonder how you think that you are being "bombarded" with just one show. And maybe someone watching this will understand a little more if their kid is in the same situation, that they are not merely just choosing to "cut their junk off"

California passed state-wide legislation to permit any school child to enter any bathroom they "feel like" they belong in.

California law allows transgender students to pick bathrooms, sports teams they identify with - CBS News

Kindergarten through 12th grade. KINDERGARTEN! Ask a 4 year old what a boy or girl is, and they will probably look at you with a perplexed look on their face.

And what is the definition of a transgender, who is allowed to pick whatever bathroom they wish to use, and play on any team they wish to play on, and use any locker room they wish to use?

Why, it's whatever one particular student "feels like identifying with" at any given point in time.

No, this isn't bombardment at all. Nothing wrong with letting anyone use any locker room or bathroom they want.

Some of us certainly feel that such things as the Jenner interview do not amount to "progress." And I myself do feel bombarded by the politically correct direction of today's society. To dissent from feeling this is "progress" is considered hate speech and severely censored by many.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winnah!!!

I also really do NOT want to explain any of this to my 8YO. Remember when Clinton got busted for cheating on his wife while in office and lots of parents found themselves explaining what oral sex was to their kids? Yeah, that.

Agree 100%. Guess in my old age I've become a real liberal on social issues.

Funny that "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" is considered a liberal point-of-view...

Sorry, Porky... 😜

I'm pretty happy that I've never had any doubts about my gender or my sexual preference. That would be a real hassle...

This is an interesting thread - and it's informative to see the different viewpoints expressed. I don't have a problem with transgender folk, and I think that if the issue were discussed more openly, over time, it would become much less of an issue for everyone, and we could all just get on with our lives. I don't think any LGBT folk should keep it to themselves. However, that's just my opinion and it's obvious that not everyone shares it.

I think I prefer this forum when we're discussing withdrawal rates and accumulation strategies though :LOL:

I'm pretty happy that I've never had any doubts about my gender or my sexual preference. That would be a real hassle...

I've often said that being straight, white, male and heterosexual has meant that I have never known what it is like to live with discrimination - when just "being me" would automatically put me at odds with the social norms that have been written by the majority of folk in our society.

No-one is forcing anyone to watch TV, read newspapers or magazines. There are dozens or hundreds of channels, depending on your cable package. Complaining about it being forced on you because you can't bothered to change the channel seems to be... I'm at a loss for polite words.

Exactly what does this topic have to do with early retirement? What could possibly be posted here that would be remotely actionable for anyone interested in retirement? The moderators have suprised me with this one.

Exactly what does this topic have to do with early retirement? What could possibly be posted here that would be remotely actionable for anyone interested in retirement? The moderators have suprised me with this one.
There are a lot of threads out there that really have nothing at all to do with ER. If it's too hard to not click on this thread or it annoys you to see it pop up on the radar, hit the "Thread Tools" pull down near the top of this page and select "Ignore this thread" and you'll never have to see it again.

People are fascinated by celebrities. and whatever they do. I'm not, but a whole lot of people are. And there is a whole lot of money in it. Not only is Ms. Jenner a celebrity, but the whole family is composed of celebrities. Of course this is going to be a big deal.

If a person doesn't want to be exposed to the celebrity culture, you've got a problem because it is everywhere.

Some people are fascinated by celebrities. I bet quite a few people are like me and couldn't care less.

Celebrity is just a media creation. If you control your exposure to unwanted media, you aren't bombarded by celebrities or airplane crashes or whatever.

It's actually not everywhere. I'm exposed to very little as I don't watch news, or cable, etc. the only place its in my face is the checkout counter and there I ignore most of it. Another perk of self checkout - way fewer magazines in your face.

I watched it. He seemed very genuine. Diane Sawyer asked very little in the 1st hour and Bruce just wanted to talk. Just wanted to unburden and finally speak for himself.

Of all the Olympic athletes whose names I could remember, if you asked me to name one who would be transgender, it would not have been him.

I wish the Kardashians would go off and do something else, I am not a follower of any of them. But they and all the many assorted Jenners are this man's family.

As a human, I find his story interesting. I don't care that he was famous or that he is/was attached to those K people. He has suffered in a very unique way that the rest of us cannot imagine, and his story is interesting.

The part that got me choked up is when one of his son's (marriage #2, I think) told Diane that when his Dad told him the truth, he thought, "now it all makes sense." Something had always been there and Bruce hid it the best he could.

What I find wrong is that Bruce married 3 times, telling all 3 wives that this was his situation after they were married and had kids.

I hope he is successful in this new phase of his life and that he/she finds the peace we all deserve in being true to ourselves.

Last edited:
I didn't see it but saw some of the promos. It is automatically recorded to my DVR but I doubt that I will watch it. I could care less. The guy is a bit of a freak but to each his own. I seem to recall Joe Namath had a philosophy that he should be able to do anything he wanted as long as he didn't hurt himself or anyone else.

What I resent is that we are bombarded with this stuff. They don't have tv specials on guys that want to be guys and like girls, or on girls that want to be girls and like guys, so why do we have to put up with a tv special about a guy who wants to be a girl and likes girls?

Last edited:
I grew up and still consider myself Catholic. I remember as a little girl being required to wear a veil on my head when in church, and if we didn't have one, we were taken to the girls restroom where toilet tissue was put on our head instead.

I remember the sermons and the outrage when stores were going to be open on Sundays.

I remember the discussions when a Catholic wanted to marry a Protestant, or someone else who was not Catholic.

I remember the outrage when a Caucasian was going to marry someone of a different race.

Today, I see and hear things about others that we don't quite understand.

I watched with interest this week the news story featuring the parents of very young children who identified themselves as being of the opposite sex.

I grew up, and still live, in a predominantly Caucasian, conservative area.

While I don't pretend to understand the choices everyone makes, I think I understand that sometimes there are choices, and sometimes not. Over time, it seems we become more aware, and perhaps more accepting of others who are different from us. But now that I have more time in retirement, I am trying really hard to get educated, to understand, and to be more accepting.

I do believe that many who are judged, would gladly trade places with us. I guess my point is that when our only exposure is the media, when done tastefully, it does foster for me some understanding.

Last edited:
Did not watch the interview.... but have not been able to miss some of the clips.. as many other have said, not anything I worry about...

Now, they did talk about it on a political show today... and someone said that the people who change genders do not find the happiness they were looking for... that some states have banned something (I believe they cannot get the operation in that state) because of this....

To me this is less of an issue than gay marriage... if someone changes, there are no new benefits created, no changes to family dynamics... it only affects the person that does it....

They don't have tv specials on guys that want to be guys and like girls, or on girls that want to be girls and like guys, so why do we have to put up with a tv special about a guy who wants to be a girl and likes girls?

There is no need for TV specials on "guys that want to be guys and like girls", because that is already the default in our culture. It is already everywhere, because the majority of the population are straight and not transgender. We straight non-transgender people don't need any special media coverage, because we are already supported by the wider culture. If transgender people were understood and accepted by our culture, there would be no need for this kind of coverage. Hopefully one day there won't be.

I do believe that many who are judged, would gladly trade places with us. I guess my point is that when our only exposure is the media, when done tastefully, it does foster for me some understanding.
Hear, hear. All they are asking for is some understanding, and to not to have to suffer discrimination, so that they can live their lives in peace.

I am a little surprised that in a forum where we often discuss the experience of being outside the norm, with regards to our saving and investing practices, there is not more understanding of others who live outside societal norms in other ways.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom