Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 08:30 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
One of my coworkers went through the surgery. She became a complete man once it was done. Although there were whispers, life went on as it was in the company. That was 16 years ago. I think Jenner's story is a news largely b/c he was a celebrity, and a world's best athlete. I didn't watch the interview b/c I was busy living my life .
+1
The first transgender person I knew was in 1979. It is not anything new under the sun. This is a national story because Jenner is a celebrity and has an upcoming reality show. That said, it is apparent that a lot of people are not aware of transgender issues, if this interview humanizes transgender to some people, that's a good thing.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2015, 08:38 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I haven't followed the story beside catching glimpses in the headlines.

Will he be changing his name?

Another celebrity which comes to mind (though not as popular) is Chaz Bono who was Chasity, daughter of Sonny and Cher.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:50 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
We can control those things. The place I hate the most is the checkout at the grocery store and those awful magazines. And the local news pushing their own programs. and so on. On the other hand, I don't want to cut off so much that I'm in a bubble and totally out of touch with society.
Those scandal rags on racks at the checkout have annoyed me since they appeared in our local grocery stores the 60s.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:53 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Will he be changing his name?
It seems that, for now, he is continuing to use the name "Bruce", and has not asked people to start using "she/her", which I did incorrectly above. I always prefer to call people by what they want to be called. It seems to be the only polite thing to do.
Davis65 is offline   Reply
Old 04-27-2015, 09:03 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethum View Post
Nobody is being harmed by Jenner.
Ask Kim Howe's survivors. He is a party in a wrongful death lawsuit and has not been cleared of criminal culpability for ther accident he allegedly caused.
Quote:
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Video shows Bruce Jenner started a chain-reaction crash that resulted in a woman's death on a Malibu highway, a law enforcement official told The Associated Press on Wednesday.
Jenner was hauling an off-road vehicle on a trailer behind his Cadillac Escalade on Feb. 7 when he steered to avoid cars slowing for a traffic light in front of him on Pacific Coast Highway, the official said.
Jenner's SUV rear-ended two cars, pushing a Lexus into oncoming traffic, the official added.

The driver, Kim Howe, 69, was killed when it was struck head-on by a Hummer.
As far as his "journey": We're all on journeys. I am not directly affected by Jenner's, so it isn't of much concern to me. But just because people are free to make choices (thank goodness) does not mean we are all required to believe they are all equally good.
samclem is offline   Reply
I missed the interview
Old 04-27-2015, 10:12 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

I missed the interview

But I would like to eventually see it. Long ago, in the early 1990s, my office actually had a transgendered person (man became woman) that began the hormone replacement therapy and officially changed her name. We received a notice from HR that he had become a she and would now be referred to as a woman, she would use the Ladies restroom, etc. You know what? It was perfectly fine. Her work remained the same, our interactions with her remained the same. No biggie. Live and let live.

I look at Jenner and think if he had thought society would be accepting of his gender choice, maybe he would not have married 3 separate times without telling his spouses the truth. Maybe he honestly thought he could make the marriages work. I don't know. But it is sad he lied to 3 different women.
Live Free is offline   Reply
Old 04-27-2015, 10:18 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

I didn't watch the interview. If he's been a woman trapped in a man's body all these years, as the saying goes "The truth will set you free."

I just hope the reality show (I will not watch) doesn't become a circus.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:18 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

I did not watch. I do not find him interesting. YMMV

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply
Old 04-27-2015, 10:21 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

A "HOT TOPIC" indeed. I will admit that I didn't read very many of the 60+ posts before this one. I was just amazed that this post has SO MANY participants here in an early retirement forum.

I didn't see the show and I avoid most of the "tabloid" TV as best as I can. As best as I can tell, it was a two hour commercial for his new transformation story. OK...off to read threads that aren't so painful to read.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
A "HOT TOPIC" indeed. I will admit that I didn't read very many of the 60+ posts before this one. I was just amazed that this post has SO MANY participants here in an early retirement forum.

I didn't see the show and I avoid most of the "tabloid" TV as best as I can. As best as I can tell, it was a two hour commercial for his new transformation story. OK...off to read threads that aren't so painful to read.
Didn't see the show, didn't read most of the posts, but "knows" what it was all about. Gotcha.
RunningBum is offline   Reply
Old 04-27-2015, 11:05 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Didn't see the show, didn't read most of the posts, but "knows" what it was all about. Gotcha.
Unless you live in a complete information bubble, it's pretty difficult to NOT know about it.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:16 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis65 View Post
That part is pretty easy: "Most boys like girls. Most girls like boys. Buy some boys like boys and some girls like girls. A few boys feel like they are girls inside, so they want to change their bodies to be girls. And a few girls feel like they are boys inside. People are different and have different feelings."
Pretty good answer, and likely close to how I would explain it.

Reminds me of when my son was younger, maybe early teens. My GF at the time was (ahem) quite a bit younger than me, with no children. She often commented that I shouldn't let my son watch R-rated movies, because of all the boobs and innuendos and such. My reply was something to the effect of "so it's okay to be exposed to gratuitous violence, but watching boobs is wrong?"

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply
Old 04-27-2015, 11:56 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

I didn't see the interview because I don't watch a lot of broadcast TV. I am interested though and might watch it later if available. I have read quite a bit about the interview though.

Overall, I think it is a good thing for the interview to exist. I think that there are a lot of transgendered youth out there whose parents don't really have much knowledge or understanding. I also think that there is a real risk of depression or suicide for some. So, I think that this type of program can have an educational effect and help those who are transgendered not feel so alone.

Yes, I'm sure the network is trying to make money and that's fine, but that doesn't change the educational nature of this.

FWIW, if this had come up with my kids were young I'm doubtful they would ever ask me about it, but if they did I wouldn't have a problem explaining it as Davis65 suggested.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply
Old 04-27-2015, 12:15 PM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

We did not see the interview. Bruce Jenner's accomplishments as a record-breaking Olympic gold medalist in the decathlon are still amazing to me. Wish people's private lives would stay private and celebrities with no accomplishments (especially the Kardashian family that Jenner married into) would just go away. Forever.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:36 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
We did not see the interview. Bruce Jenner's accomplishments as a record-breaking Olympic gold medalist in the decathlon are still amazing to me. Wish people's private lives would stay private and celebrities with no accomplishments (especially the Kardashian family that Jenner married into) would just go away. Forever.
+1000

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply
Old 04-27-2015, 12:57 PM   #76

I don't believe I live in an information bubble, but when we saw the ads for the interview last night, my wife and I were surprised to hear/see that Bruce Jenner is a woman now... and then we watched The Family Guy and forgot about it. I have less than zero interest in celebrity pop culture issues, Kardashians, Bill and Kate, Jenner, etc., to the point that I actively avoid it; it comes on, the channel gets changed or TV off.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply
Old 04-27-2015, 03:33 PM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.

I didn't watch the interview but did see clips of it on various news channels. I may be a bit jaded, but I ask myself, why Jenner is making this such a public process? Then it hits me....money! I'll bet there is a new reality show in the coming months for all of us to experience the pleasure of tracking the Jenner transformation.
cbo
cbo111 is offline   Reply
Old 04-27-2015, 03:49 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
I have less than zero interest in celebrity pop culture issues, Kardashians, Bill and Kate, Jenner, etc., to the point that I actively avoid it; it comes on, the channel gets changed or TV off.
That's what I do, too. I still don't know who Bill and Kate are, and what they do. I don't know anything about Kardashians and what they do. What I don't know won't annoy me .

I can't even stand CNN or local news these days. Aljazeera is now my go to news channel.

I haven't lived as long as some here but I have seen enough of everything there is to see about human nature, both good and bad. If a person wants to change his sexual orientation, it's no business of mine. The only thing I am passionate about these days is how I am going to spend the rest of my life. I don't have much time left - like next 30 years or so, give or take 10 years .
robnplunder is offline   Reply
Old 04-27-2015, 04:27 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
It's a real story. When transgenders are no longer getting beaten up for being trans, and do not have to fear for their jobs just for being trans, it won't be news anymore. Silence, and sticking your head in the sand or up your ass is not going to fix these problems. It may not seem like that much of an issue until someone close to you has to deal with it. Then the jokes aren't funny, and the ignorance is disturbing.
Yes, people get beat up for being transgender...they also get beat up for being gay, for being black, for being white, for living on the wrong side of the tracks, for living on the right side of the tracks, because they looked at someone the wrong way, or for no particular reason at all.

Jenner is transgender...so what? It's not newsworthy unless your hobby is celebrity watching and you have a need to know the personal and intimate details of their life.
Music Lover is offline   Reply
Old 04-27-2015, 04:33 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Unfortunately, for me at least, ALL channels are being overrun with "reality" shows. Hell, even the freaking Food channel has donut wars...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply
Closed Thread