Join Early Retirement Today

1940's-1950's Pin-up Girls????
Old 12-26-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1940's-1950's Pin-up Girls????

When I was a young female in my 20's--and feminism was on the rise--I really resented the sexualization of women in the old 1940's-50's pin-ups. But, now that that is over and I'm older, I long for the days when we women really were more in the vein of the old pin-ups. They were feminine looking, womanly and, oftentimes, very strong and assertive looking despite being so feminine. Not often in these pin-up drawings do they look like empty headed dimwits (at least to me). Maybe that was due to the abundance of women doing manual labor during WWII?
Maybe it's just me, but am I alone here? Would you like to see this style of drawing women come back in vogue?
Personally, I'd love to see drawings like these old pin-ups come back into popularity. And, yes, I'm aware "Playboy" still kept some drawings in their magazine, so obviously Hugh Hefner did his best to keep them going.

In case you don't remember what they looked like, here are some of the better known artists on this site. If you look at the left hand column, you can click on any of the names and their picutes will pop up. Click on any one picture and it will enlarge. Voila! and a walk down memory lane.

The Pin-up Page, 1940's and 50's Pinup girls, including Vargas, Gil Elvgren, Peter Driben, Edward Runci, Marilyn Monroe, Betty Page, Earl Moran
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here you go Orchid - Hilda: HILDA by Duane Bryers
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:49 PM   #3

Hilda's kinda porky. My kind of girl...ha! (To be politically correct, Hilda is zaftig.)
Old 12-26-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

There was quite a bit of difference in how women were portrayed in movies and pin-ups from the 40's to the the 50's. Bimboization was in full swing in the 50's thru the 60s. One of the few who were portrayed as competent and smart was Diana Rigg in The Avengers in the 60's. In the 40's, it was common to portray beautiful women as smart and sassy and competent. By the 50s, the Marylin Monroe idiot was the ideal.

This was probably a deliberate change to convince women to leave their freedoms behind from WWII when they gained quite a bit of independence as they filled the workforce as the men left to be cannon fodder.

And then in more recent times, we seem to have the idea that all young women should dress and behave like prostitutes from very early ages. I don't' get that at all. Maybe it is just a revival of the 50's sensibilities as women became more and more independent.

I never did like any of Hefner's stuff - very much the 50's bimboization of women and none of the smart 40's style.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:46 PM   #5

Good observation. I agree with you, Tesaje, on most of your points.
Never really thought of it, but you're right in that the women of the '40's during the War were smart and sassy. The 50's..women were just ditzy, sexy bimbos who didn't have a brain in their little heads. Then we hit the 80's where women were wearing take-offs in men's suits (ugh! I refused to do it even at IBM: there's always one rebel in the crowd..ha!). Then today where girls just look trashy in general, so we went from the uptight '80's to the slobby 2000's. Attractive.
So, that's why I love the women of the 40's and the pin-up drawings of that period. Smart, sassy, assertive yet feminine/sexy women. Bring it back!
Old 12-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

From the time Esquire first introduced America to the Varga Girl, in 1940, the name Vargas has been synonymous with pin-up and glamour art. In fact, the word "vargas" has actually been applied to almost every kind of pin-up subject - a fitting tribute to the most famous and prolific glamour artist of all time.

Pin-up Art from The Pin-up Files [Alberto Vargas Image Gallery] : Art Archive and Store

or for a complete roster:

Pin-up Art from The Pin-up Files [Home] : Art Archive and Store
RonBoyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #7

I would imagine Vargas would be considered the pinnacle of the pin-up artist pile. One of the best things about Playboy was his drawings year ago.
It amazes me how many women I meet that love these pin-up drawings besides me. My son used to date a girl who would trace the pictures on tea towels and embroider them to sell. Clever!
Old 12-26-2009, 10:56 PM   #8

Over 30 years ago, I met and married my own Hilda. Have never regretted it, not once, not even for a minute, not ever! (add many more grins here!)
Old 12-26-2009, 11:13 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
Over 30 years ago, I met and married my own Hilda. Have never regretted it, not once, not even for a minute, not ever! (add many more grins here!)
much to be said for a plush woman - 'specially on a cold winter night!
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:16 AM   #10

Well, this Rubenesque type is on her way to thin, but that's really nice to hear some of us old fashioned women are still popular with a few men. I've been like Hildi for almost 6 years now--sitting around eldercaring, not working out much and loving to cook does not help--and it's time to say bye-bye. However, on behalf of all the Hildi types in the world, we say thanks for appreciating us.
I have to say that, as a straight women, I even find women who are a little plump very sexy compared to stick thin model types. But, that doesn't seem popular today, unfortunately.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:22 AM   #11

Interesting the way that women's body type changes as portrayed in drawings thru the generations--a good barometer of public opinion of each generation. Men's preferred body type doesn't. What gives with that?
Old 12-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Just as "different" doesn't have to mean unequal, "feminine" doesn't have to be demure, subservient and flaunting second-class status,
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:24 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Well, this Rubenesque type is on her way to thin, but that's really nice to hear some of us old fashioned women are still popular with a few men. I've been like Hildi for almost 6 years now--sitting around eldercaring, not working out much and loving to cook does not help--and it's time to say bye-bye. However, on behalf of all the Hildi types in the world, we say thanks for appreciating us.
I have to say that, as straight women, I even find women who are a little plump very sexy compared to stick thin model types. But, that doesn't seem popular today, unfortunately.
Dear, at our age the main dating requirements for a woman are that she not be obviously bossy or convinced that she knows the only way, and that she can at least seem to like sex. That, and she is not terribly choosy.

Some of these may even be waived.

Ha
Old 12-27-2009, 09:33 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Anything between anorexic speed ho, and morbidly obese.

And as Ha says, I reserved the right to waive these requirements...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Interesting the way that women's body type changes as portrayed in drawings thru the generations--a good barometer of public opinion of each generation. Men's preferred body type doesn't. What gives with that?
The "traditional" (or stereotypical) answer is that men are more visual in terms of being attracted to someone, and that men are seen more as "success objects" than "sex objects" (at least in terms of serious relationships, not one-nighters). How true that ever was, and whether it's still largely true today, is an exercise left to the reader.

I'd also say that just as the roles and expectations of women have (IMO) changed a *lot* more than they have for men over the last few decades, so too might the supposed "ideal".
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #16

Good observation, ziggy29. Guess I was never ever looking to a man to support me, so I viewed them as sex objects...ha! But you are right in that the average woman does look to a man as a success object. I just never thought of it before like that. Thanks for pointing out the obvious. (I never claimed to be in the norm of womanhood. Too independent. It's a curse.)

Some funny comments above from the Peanut Gallery!!! Thanks for the laughs, guys!