Join Early Retirement Today

1970s Hawaii Five-0 is in HD!!!
Old 08-31-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

1970s Hawaii Five-0 is in HD!!!

I stumbled upon SPIKE this morning which is running a marathon of the 1970 Hawaii Five-0 series this week. And it was in HD.

Called DH over - yep, it sure was HD. We finally decided that it must have originally been filmed in 35mm film, and someone has digitized that for HD broadcast. That's the only thing we can figure.

I tried to google this but couldn't find out anything other than the SPIKE marathon and the new Hawaii Five-0 series.

They also fixed the color. No more of the old "technicolor" garish saturation quality - this color looks much more real-life color.

It looks amazing! Did you miss all the lines in Jack Lord's face? Well they're all there now!

Audrey
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Book 'em, Dano.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, I saw a couple of episodes yesterday and this morning, and was amazed at the visual quality. I wish "The Fugitive" series was similarly filmed.

Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Well most of those shows must have been filmed on 35mm. In which case they could be reproduced in higher def. It's just a matter of time and $$$ LOL!

I hope they do Star Trek! I would love to see that in higher def. Well, Captain Kirk's eye make-up was already pretty obvious on the original broadcast, so maybe it would look really bad.

Really, we just can't get over the Hawaii Five-0 detail. Landscape shots have incredible plant detail. People's faces are really sharp. I think they used some sharpening tools on this too.

Audrey
Old 08-31-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I stumbled upon SPIKE this morning which is running a marathon of the 1970 Hawaii Five-0 series this week. And it was in HD.
You could post to this thread:
Classic Hawaii Five-0 vs. New Hawaii Five-0 - HawaiiThreads.com

Or start one of your own there.

Mel seems to spend a lot of time on TV & music and is extremely passionate about the subjects. He and a couple other posters on that board are walking Hawaii 5-0 archives.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I'm looking forward to the new show. Hope it is done well.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:35 PM   #7
Confused about dryer sheets

The new show has been shooting for several months here in Hawaii. With the Island being so small, you have many chances to see them shooting all over the Island. Now that Lost is over, it is the only regular episode shooting ghoing on. I did see Clooney and JD in recent weeks shooting two different movies. Pretty exciting to see how it all takes place, and how many people it actually takes to shoot a very small scene.
Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Arguably the greatest theme song in TV history.
Gerbil Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:00 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Well, I finally stumbled across something that talked about how about half the episodes had been "digitally remastered" - so I guess that is what I am seeing. They did an amazing job.

The show ran from 1968 to 1980 - wow! There were over 200 episodes.

Audrey
Old 08-31-2010, 09:05 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Today's actors all look the same. And, I think all the guys are about 5'0'" tall.

Scott Caan is 5'5" and John Wayne was 6'4"

Old Cast
Google Image Result for http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd98/mixpix8jo/5-O-cast.jpg

New cast
Google Image Result for http://alexoloughlinrocks.com/wp-content/uploads/SDCC_220710_10b.jpg

Where is Jake when you need him.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:54 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I'm looking forward to the new show. Hope it is done well.
Me too. I have friend who got a principal role in the show and she is very excited. When HaHa sees her on the sjpw he will be drooling. Sadly she isn't a very close friend and is engaged.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
ugh!

I went to the Jake & the Fatman link and all of a sudden up pops a window saying I will be connected to a live agent to help complete my purchase, or words to that effect. Fortunately I figured out how to close the window before the connection was fully established. You should warn people! I'd never have gone to the link in the first place if I had known it would do that.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:12 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
ugh!

I went to the Jake & the Fatman link and all of a sudden up pops a window saying I will be connected to a live agent to help complete my purchase, or words to that effect. Fortunately I figured out how to close the window before the connection was fully established. You should warn people! I'd never have gone to the link in the first place if I had known it would do that.
That didn't happen to me when I went to the link last night.

I've asked the moderator to delete the link.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
That didn't happen to me when I went to the link last night.
I guess that would make it hard to warn people!

Quote:
I've asked the moderator to delete the link.
Thanks!
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:02 AM   #15

Loved the show. I may have seen most episodes over the last 40 years. I had season passes on the TiVo for several years. Found this web site The Hawaii Five-O Home Page that says 209 of the 283 episodes were digitally remastered. The quality is very good.

I loved how Five-O sent -- not just some of the best cops -- they sent the head of Five-O himself to rid the islands of all the dirty rif-raf. I can still see him chasing the bad guys, shooting it out with them, hanging from helicopters, car and boat chases, working all-nighters in his office at the palace. Dedication.

On my one and only (so far) trip to Oahu, went to the Avis lot to pick up my car and it was in space H-50 -- no kidding. They knew I am a fan.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbil Wheel View Post
Arguably the greatest theme song in TV history.
Certainly one of the best.

It has something in common with another of (IMO) the 'best' - the theme to "Mission Impossible". Easy for the musicians to know this one. T-Al could get this with one ear tied behind his back.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Loved the show. I may have seen most episodes over the last 40 years. I had season passes on the TiVo for several years. Found this web site The Hawaii Five-O Home Page that says 209 of the 283 episodes were digitally remastered. The quality is very good.
CBS still owns the content - so it must have been CBS who put up the $$$ to invest in the remastering.

Audrey