2-3 beers = in the zone

tuixiu

Full time employment: Posting here.
Curious if this is common among you fine people, so I'll open this topic that probably makes me sound much more pathetic than it should.

There are various activities that (for me at least) lend themselves very well to some minor alcohol consumption. It's a fine line mind you, too little doesn't work and too much you've blown it. I can give a few examples off the top of my head:

1. Public speaking. Sober I'm nervous and it shows, drunk I'm an idiot, but give me 2-3 beers and I'm comfortable yet lucid enough to do fine as first man at the wedding, etc.

2. Sports that aren't really sports. Bowling, golf, darts, pool, stuff like that. No nervousness just smooth flowing muscle memory and instinct.

3. Video games. Probably belongs in category #2 above, and way more applicable 8-10 years ago when I played a lot more. If I had a few but not too much I was a machine in Unreal Tournament, would get in an unbelievable zone.

4. Foreign language. I can respond using a language I've learned much smoother with a couple in me, not sure why.

Sure there are obvious exceptions, like the general rule that I'm always a better dancer the more I drink with no limit ;) but forget heart disease I promote moderate drinking at the path to excellent performance for certain tasks.

Carry on.

Curious if this is common among you fine people, so I'll open this topic that probably makes me sound much more pathetic than it should.

There are various activities that (for me at least) lend themselves very well to some minor alcohol consumption. It's a fine line mind you, too little doesn't work and too much you've blown it. I can give a few examples off the top of my head:

1. Public speaking. Sober I'm nervous and it shows, drunk I'm an idiot, but give me 2-3 beers and I'm comfortable yet lucid enough to do fine as first man at the wedding, etc.

2. Sports that aren't really sports. Bowling, golf, darts, pool, stuff like that. No nervousness just smooth flowing muscle memory and instinct.

3. Video games. Probably belongs in category #2 above, and way more applicable 8-10 years ago when I played a lot more. If I had a few but not too much I was a machine in Unreal Tournament, would get in an unbelievable zone.

4. Foreign language. I can respond using a language I've learned much smoother with a couple in me, not sure why.

Sure there are obvious exceptions, like the general rule that I'm always a better dancer the more I drink with no limit ;) but forget heart disease I promote moderate drinking at the path to excellent performance for certain tasks.

Carry on.

I find that alcohol does not make me more effective at anything.. However, a drink or two can make some things more enjoyable.

1) socializing. I am a pretty shy person and a few drinks loosen me up enough to help me come out of my shell.

2) flying. I am a nervous flyer so a few drinks, especially on those long intercontinental flights, help to calm me down.

3) foreign language too! That's a weird one but it's true, a few drinks help me get more...hum... fluent!

Med's baby!
img_797701_0_0ff25d720d269205de68fc80b5a9b3e4.gif

I dance much better with a few beers. However, I cannot pole dance under the influence, because I would likely kill myself.
I am a great (hula) hooper with some beers in me.
Not having a foreign language, I cannot tell you if it would improve my communications beyond: dos cervezas por favor.
All of my public speaking experiences have been stone cold sober--I don't think I could manage otherwise.

Historically, the two activities for me where 2-3 beers is the "sweet spot" would be bowling and shooting pool. But after about three beers, performance in both takes a rather quick dive.

Are these your perceptions or other people's?

Exactly. :cool:

People seem to think they are a whole lot better at things (and just a whole lot cooler in general) than they really are, once they have a couple of drinks in them.

I'm younger and better looking after a few, irresistible to women half my age :blush:

Or so I apparently believe.

Coach

I don't believe it's a perception thing, unless you believe I can't read a better golf or bowling score after a couple beers. Same with foreign language I've had people tell me I'm sounding better and asking if I've been hitting the books only to regress to stuttering long pause mode later in a more sober moment.

The "sports that aren't really sports" deal is probably just because you don't think as much so the instinct with muscle memory makes your performance roll without nervousness/excitement interfering. Probably same with video games.

Public speaking probably just calms nerves that would make delivery more awkward.

Like other poster said there is definitely a limit and it's not linear, you pass it and you're a mess. It also doesn't work with things like basketball where you really have to move athletically.

Beer. Helping white guys dance since 1842.

It's been a lot longer than that

And to the OP, I agree with you that beer does make me better at some things. Magically it also makes me not care if that is just my perception.

If I have two or three beers, everyone else seems to have more talent....:tongue:

Couple beverages definately helps the golf swing ... couple more and it all goes down hill, thou

Back in my hometown bar pool playing days...3 beers would be the sweet spot. I could just about run the table because I didn't sweat the shots.
I just did the shot. Kerplunk...Kerplunk...Kerplunk...being a Physics major gave me a definite advantage. The rest was practice and good cold beer.
I had my own stick, which was funny as hell since I'm a woman. There is a $50 story behind why I had that Mali pool stick:cool:
.... ahem...anyway...
I don't really drink anymore except for NA beer and the occasional real beer if NA isn't available. I figured I better save some of my liver for the golden years. I certainly gave it a workout before. ;)

Back
Top Bottom