Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
We bought our house four years ago and it had the popcorn throughout. It was built in 1991. Had some bad spots to be fixed and our contractor talked us into removing it, not even knowing it was asbestos based. Had it redone in the form of "Spanish lace" which we really like. I remember it cost us $3000 and we are really happy with the results.
1991 is safe from popcorn asbestos. Pre-1979 is a "for sure, must test". Anywhere from 1979 to say ... 1985 should be tested as they are remaining-inventory bubble years. However, it is really unusual to find popcorn asbestos beyond 1980, but they say it has happened.

Vinyl flooring and mastic is different and was allowed into later years. I also had the mastic holding down my parquet flooring tested. (Luckily, also 0% asbestos.) We didn't bother with the kitchen vinyl. It is still there, under a layer of underlayment.

Hey, speaking of flooring, I remember somewhere in the mid 70's tearing up our "linoleum" tiles with my dad. House was built in the late 1950s. I'm pretty sure we got a lot of asbestos exposure. Yikes. Oh well, can't turn back time.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
1991 is safe from popcorn asbestos. Pre-1979 is a "for sure, must test". Anywhere from 1979 to say ... 1985 should be tested as they are remaining-inventory bubble years. However, it is really unusual to find popcorn asbestos beyond 1980, but they say it has happened.
That is GREAT to see! My house that was built in 1999 has that popcorn crap on every ceiling, it was my call and I now regret it but that's water under the bridge now. I would never buy a house built prior to 1979, IIRC that was the year they restricted lead from paint. The remediation costs are astronomical. When I started to read this my heart sank.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:03 AM   #23

IIRC , It is still legal for a homowner to remove it, so long nothing is released above background levels, and testing before, during and after is costly. You will need to double seal all doors , windows, etc. use disposable tyvec coveralls , and keep everything wet , very wet. Approved canister resporator too. The bigest problem is disposal , and transit for same. Only one landfill in CA still accepts friable asbestos waste , and most abatement companies in the west coast use a landfill in AZ , even with the extra trucking cost. Check with the Bay area air quality management district. Ya, they are Big Brother government in the most extreme, but usually you can get to someone with practical advise when you tell them you are a homeowner.

Pro removal and disposal by a lic. abatement co will cost thousands, but actually not that much more than removal of non-asbestos popcorn type ceilings. I have used P.W. Stephens co. in CA on a number of jobs, and was always surprised the cost was lower than I was expecting.

Me , I would just spray paint it to encapsulate , and forget it. The abatement co's can spray an encapsolating coating for a fraction of the cost of removal. Do it yourself removal will end up costing almost as much as pro removal.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
That is GREAT to see! My house that was built in 1999 has that popcorn crap on every ceiling, it was my call and I now regret it but that's water under the bridge now. I would never buy a house built prior to 1979, IIRC that was the year they restricted lead from paint. The remediation costs are astronomical. When I started to read this my heart sank.
Yes, I agree. The old houses have a lot of issues. You are very safe for a 1999 house.

Mine is early 80's, and we have transition issues. Vinyl flooring is a good example. There was a recession going on the 70s, remember? All the asbestos-laden vinyl stored up was allowed to be sold. This took time.

Tags
asbestos, popcorn ceiling