Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-27-2017, 02:59 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1

The only small PITA is that I usually need to key in a code to get the radio to work again.
Yes the clock too. And some settings.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2017, 11:58 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
It probably came over in the luggage compartment of the plane...

Actually, some people do ship their cars. Not sure how it works for military folks assigned over there, but IIRC, at least some take their cars.
Military servicemembers who are leaving Hawaii for a new duty station are usually entitled to ship one personal vehicle to the nearest Mainland port (in a container) and then have a mileage/travel allowance to drive it to their destination. A few families choose to ship a second vehicle (again in a container) which costs about $1000.

There's also the occasional OPPORTUNE LIFT space-available free shipping on an aircraft carrier or amphibious transport. (Hangar bay or open deck.) Battlegroups returning to San Diego like to pull in at Pearl Harbor for liberty and to pick up families for the Tiger Cruise back to SD.

State residency (and taxes) while on active duty can get pretty complicated, and the state in which you register your vehicles is one aspect of the decision.
How To Establish Residency In A New State | Military.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Yea, I did not know that an RV would fit through the tunnel.
That was part of the Long Beach Tunnel Improvement Project a few years back...

We have a few RVs in the islands. They're popular with movie & TV production businesses when they're out on location, and a few celebrities have been known to ship their personal RVs out here when they're filming.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote