Join Early Retirement Today

2 Inspiring Retirement Stories in 1 Day!
Old 11-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

2 Inspiring Retirement Stories in 1 Day!

OK, at my unit's T-Day luncheon today and see a Civil Service guy who used to work for me and retired 1 yr ago. He's a Vietnam Vet and almost 40 yrs civil service to boot! OMG, he looks at least 10 if not 15 years younger! I told him I have never seen him smile sooo much. He said, "Col, the ship's leaving, you otta get on board, it's great on the other side!" I said, "Charlie, if you only knew how much I've been thinking about retiring lately...the ship's not leaving me, I'm actually trying to become the skipper!"

On a more inspirational note, just got home from a Wounded Warrior recognition dinner and the guest speaker is a medically retired Army Sgt who got hit by a suicide bomber inside a Children's Hospital compound in Baquaba, Iraq in 2003. He was speaking about his struggle with PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) and how his "after wife" (her description of herself when she got up to speak...his first wife divorced him and took his $100K insurance payment and paid for her wedding to another soldier...nice, huh?) and he were doing in retirement. Spoke to him afterwards tonight and he said it's really great being retired, on his good days, that is. Wow! Where do we find Americans cut of this cloth...truly inspiring.

Gotta tell y'all, this board is not good for my military career...I'm really starting to believe the "signs" coming my way that I'm meant to cross over to the other side!

Just wanted to share my day.

Cheers,

Parr0thead
Parr0thead98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
Dryer sheet wannabe

You need to retire. Life is simply too short..
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote