Join Early Retirement Today

2 years after Pot is Legalized - NPR
Old 04-20-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

2 years after Pot is Legalized - NPR

Imagine if you turned on the radio and heard this: "From NPR News in Washington, I'm Carl Kasell. After 70 years of prohibition, marijuana becomes legal today for personal consumption throughout the United States for persons 21 and older …"

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=103276152

No what many would think.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Wonder how the movies and TV would handle it. I'm reminded of the prohibition repeal scene from "Once Upon a Time in America." The mobsters celebrate with a black cake the size and shape of a coffin, marked "prohibition."

Quote:
"One of the main issues is there's still a mystique when it comes to marijuana use," Prince says. "A lot of people still don't know that marijuana use is addictive.
Other prescription pain killers are also addictive. It could be quite a blow to the pharmaceutical industry.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

And it'll make your babies be born naked...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:21 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Evil , wicked, mean and nasty...
Old 04-20-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
...don't step on the grass, Sam.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:40 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Other prescription pain killers are also addictive. It could be quite a blow to the pharmaceutical industry.
Hey, I am addicted to eating, breathing and sleeping. What's the problem?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:01 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
...don't step on the grass, Sam.
The rendition on Steppenwolf Live is especially good.

HFWR, old Steppenwolf fan

Now it's a monster, and will not obey...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steppenwolf Live.jpg (13.9 KB, 173 views)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:06 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Hey, I am addicted to eating, breathing and sleeping....
So, what's the scoop, is that stuff available by prescription? I'll take a 40-year supply, doc.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
And it'll make your babies be born naked...
I thought it was born nekkid.....
Old 04-20-2009, 09:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I thought it was born nekkid.....
I'm nekkid under my clothes... does that count?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:42 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I'm nekkid under my clothes... does that count?
It's getting warm in here....

Ok, I don't know if I'm the first woman to say it, but here goes..."this post is useless without pictures"......
Old 04-21-2009, 02:49 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm in favor of decriminalizing pot. There are some rules that would have to be developed for testing in relation to driving and work issues. Maybe quality standards. And would there be a free market or state stores? But getting criminals out of the process would be worth the effort. Now some stronger drugs may be a problem. I wonder how long prohibition would have lasted if beer & wine were legalized but not hard liquor?
Old 04-21-2009, 06:52 PM   #13

IMO, anyone can insert their own hypothetical results of a "what if" scenario that fits their own agenda, regardless of which side they are on. As this is almost all based on hypotheticals and such, it seems fairly useless to me.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 04-21-2009, 07:46 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
IMO, anyone can insert their own hypothetical results of a "what if" scenario that fits their own agenda, regardless of which side they are on. As this is almost all based on hypotheticals and such, it seems fairly useless to me.
Wouldn't that same criteria and conclution apply to those who are in favor of decriminalization or legalization?

+++
"NPR came up with a hypothetical scenario and asked experts to play along,"

If this article was on Fox news it might mean one thing but being on NPR it is like the Catholic Pope coming out for contraception.
That the article disagrees with many of the arguments for legalization or decrimialization should give pause.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Wouldn't that same criteria and conclution apply to those who are in favor of decriminalization or legalization?
Absolutely it would. The difference is that most people don't pass their opinions off as expert analysis of what would happen, only what we have a hunch *might* happen.

This is opinion packaged as pseudo-fact by hiding behind a few so-called "experts," and that's what gets me about it.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Absolutely it would. The difference is that most people don't pass their opinions off as expert analysis of what would happen, only what we have a hunch *might* happen.

This is opinion packaged as pseudo-fact by hiding behind a few so-called "experts," and that's what gets me about it.
"We all know that..."

No we don't.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:40 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I can't see anyone claiming to know what will happen. It is obviously a counterfactual make-believe scenario.

"NPR's fictitious scenario of legalized marijuana is not likely to come true anytime soon."

People read it; which was the goal. The people who contributed may or may not know what would happen were this to come to pass, but they do bring some limited expertise which is more than what the average internet genius brings.

Ha
Old 04-21-2009, 11:33 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Other prescription pain killers are also addictive.
Well, thank goodness that doesn't apply to alcohol, nicotine, or caffeine...

Quote:
I don't think decriminalization or legalization is necessarily better or worse than the status quo, any more than alcohol prohibition was necessarily better or worse for overall society, or the latest restrictions on smoking.

But legalization & taxation would certainly be a lot more profitable than the gazillions spent on the "War on Drugs". It'd eliminate a lot of graft & corruption, too.

Here's an imperfect analogy whose application I'd never considered before. Last weekend I was a judge at a taekwondo tournament. Several of the competitors-- enough of them to be a problem-- were pushing & holding. There are various degrees of flagrancy but essentially both are against the rules, and the ref is supposed to discourage them by penalizing the offending fighters. However the ref can't stop what he can't see and won't stop what he doesn't feel is intentional, and some players are more skilled at the "cheating" than others. Of course the coaches can always tell when the other scurrilous bastard is exploiting their fair-minded fighter.

When I commented on the enforcement, our instructor said that he thought pushing & holding should be made legal. That way the sport would come up with its own counters to the tactic, and eventually those depending on the ref's ignorance/indulgence would be discouraged in their tactics by jump hook kicks to the face.

So legalize marijuana. Those who want (or "need" it) could obtain a generally safe and potent substance that may or may not be addictive, depending on the user's genetic & psychological tendencies. The tax revenues could be a huge source of funds, and the current laws (for example DUI) could handle those who don't/won't use responsibly and those who are evading taxation.

The tax revenue would be a potent fourth leg to the table holding up the Hawaii economy, too...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:10 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

"Discussing drug policy is like discussing gun control or abortion: facts are irrelevant."
On the Legalization — or Not — of Marijuana - Freakonomics Blog - NYTimes.com

I really get the sense that the above quote sums up this subject. A lot of selective attention to the issues to support a position. Also, there appears to me some unidentifiable (to me) emotional issues attached to the subject.

Many people who don't like the current system propose legalization or decriminalization - no interum steps. That is not a procedure any of us would have accepted in our performance reviews while working. We would have asked where our performance fell short and to be given time to correct them. Current drug enforcement and penalties have not changed since the beginning.

War on Drugs Over
I proposed the following in another thread.
"We should have a progressive system of drug enforcement for users
- treatment/with followup testing
- treatment/minor incarceration/followup testing
- longer incarceration/treatment
- very long incarceration - in the jungles of Columbia

Failing all that - Soma should be given to all that want it."
Old 04-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Also, there appears to me some unidentifiable (to me) emotional issues attached to the subject.
Agreed. Some people have some real hangups about the drug for some reason.