20 Most Hated Movies

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Lists are a dime a dozen on the internet and this one is no different. There are a few that surprise me though...

"The Movie I Walked Out On ... The people have spoken, and these are the 20 movies that had the most Comcast.net users heading for the exits.

Whether they were too gory, too shaky or too terrible, these films proved that you really can have too much of a bad thing."

20 Dumb and Dumber agreed, I may have watched 10 minutes tops
19 The Blair Witch Project didn't see it, no interest
18 Beowulf didn't see it
17 Open Water never heard of it
16 Pulp Fiction not my fav, but worthwhile IMO
15 Cloverfield didn't see it
14 Brokeback Mountain didn't see it
13 Waterworld it was pretty lame, but I watched the whole thing hoping it would get better
12 Epic Movie never heard of it
11 RoboCop not great, but audiences had to know what to expect, a special effects movie
10 The Wicker Man never heard of it
9 A Clockwork Orange tried to watch it twice, lasted about 20 minutes both times - too unnecessarily disturbing for me
8 Last Tango In Paris didn't see it, I think I was too young
7 Pirate of the Carribbean: Dead Man's Chest sorry, I liked all the Pirates movies
6 Eyes Wide Shut watched the whole thing, not sure why, yawn...really thin story after all
5 Ishtar didn't see it
4 The English Patient didn't see it, not big on period pieces, though I know lots of people like them
3 The Exorcist no way this should be on the list, though it was a real shocker for me (went with my Catholic girlfriend at the time)
2 Leaving Las Vegas great acting, terminally sad story
1 Natural Born Killers didn't see it, no interest

Last edited:
I love Pulp Fiction.

I liked most of these. But then again I love scary and edgy movies.

Q. What do horror, violence, fantasy and Kubrick have in common, Alex?

Pulp Fiction is my favorite movie and Dumb and Dumber is my favorite comedy. Dumb and Dumber certainly didn't win any Oscars but if you want a good laugh it's hard to beat. I think Pulp Fiction was a great movie but I can see how it would be too violent for some. Haven't seen most of the others on the list.

Last edited:
Q. What do horror, violence, fantasy and Kubrick have in common, Alex?

2001: A Space Odyssey was great. Then he went off the rails...but just one opinion to be sure.

I walked out at the end of Braveheart and stayed in the lobby. I couldn't stand being in there when I realized they would be so cruel.

The other one I walked out early on was something like The Cook, the Thief, the lover etc. Ugh, didn't like it at all! My husband walked out shortly after I did. If it hadn't been the dollar show, we would have asked for a refund. I left when I saw worms all over the food in the kitchen, being served at a fancy restaurant. I understand later in the film that they cooked a person.

20 Dumb and Dumber agreed, I may have watched 10 minutes tops Sorry, the 3 Stooges is my bottom floor for dumbness (and the Stooges only go on for 15 minutes or so, not a whole movie!).
19 The Blair Witch Project didn't see it, no interest Got bored and turned off the DVD. I mean, sheesh, nothing happens and it's not even scary.
18 Beowulf didn't see it Me either
17 Open Water never heard of it Me either
16 Pulp Fiction not my fav, but worthwhile IMO We loved it. Time to watch it again, actually.
15 Cloverfield didn't see it Me either
14 Brokeback Mountain didn't see it We liked the Annie Proulx short story - beautifully written - but didn't think it translated well to video.
13 Waterworld it was pretty lame, but I watched the whole thing hoping it would get better I agree, silly story, yet somehow we kind of liked it. Like "Mad Max," but on the water.
12 Epic Movie never heard of it Me either
11 RoboCop not great, but audiences had to know what to expect, a special effects movie It was OK.
10 The Wicker Man never heard of it Me either
9 A Clockwork Orange tried to watch it twice, lasted about 20 minutes both times - too unnecessarily disturbing for me It's got its points, but I agree it's disturbing just for the sake of it.
8 Last Tango In Paris didn't see it, I think I was too youngHusband loved it; I *hated* it. Rare for us to disagree strongly over a movie, but this was one of those rare times!
7 Pirate of the Carribbean: Dead Man's Chest sorry, I liked all the Pirates moviesMe too! But I am only 8 years old in many ways.
6 Eyes Wide Shut watched the whole thing, not sure why, yawn...really thin story after all We didn't like it at first, but it grew on us. Good morality tale.
5 Ishtar didn't see it Didn't see it.
4 The English Patient didn't see it, not big on period pieces, though I know lots of people like them One of our all-time favorites, but I can see how some might get fed up with it. It does go on.
3 The Exorcist no way this should be on the list, though it was a real shocker for me (went with my Catholic girlfriend at the time) Thought it was stupid.
2 Leaving Las Vegas great acting, terminally sad stor We liked it.
1 Natural Born Killers didn't see it, no interestHusband tried to get me to watch it on DVD. I loathed it from Scene 1 and quit watching after a while.

Amethyst

I've seen 10 of the 20 and liked them all. Pulp fiction is always worth a watch when there is a rerun.

When "A Clockwork Orange" was brand new, my boyfriend at the time took me to see it. We had to wait in a line to get into the theater, in SF. But once the movie started I was so upset by it that I walked out and insisted on leaving. How not to impress one's boyfriend! :2funny: We broke up over that movie and that was our last date.

I tried to watch it again about 20 years later but still hated it and did not watch the whole thing. I would say this is my most hated movie of all time.

No Country for Old Men........ridiculous, let down of an ending.

I did like the crazy haircut and whitish skin on the bad guy!!!!

(I really do like Javier Bardem...did anyone see Mar Adentro?)

Gosh, how could a guy not be disappointed in a gal who doesn't want to watch a movie where women get raped and it's treated like a joke?:nonono:
Terrible choice for a date movie.

Amethyst

When "A Clockwork Orange" was brand new, my boyfriend at the time took me to see it. ... We broke up over that movie and that was our last date.

Reactions: W2R
I tried to watch it again about 20 years later but still hated it and did not watch the whole thing. I would say this is my most hated movie of all time.
Re -reading the list, I'd have to agree, even though I've only seen the first 20 minutes. There are quite a few movies I've walked out of mostly because I thought they were boring, pandering and/or just stupid - what little I watched of Clockwork Orange was all that plus outright offensive.

My vote for a really bad movie....Bubba Ho-Tep. I dare anybody to watch the whole thing then report back... You'll NEVER get back the time you spent watching it! LOL

Last edited:
I think I've seen 13 of them, and don't recall hating any of them, certainly not to the point of walking out. My bottom feeders are two sequels of sequels: Beverly Hills Cop III and Crocodile Dundee III. Yuck.

When "A Clockwork Orange" was brand new, my boyfriend at the time took me to see it. We had to wait in a line to get into the theater, in SF. But once the movie started I was so upset by it that I walked out and insisted on leaving. How not to impress one's boyfriend! :2funny: We broke up over that movie and that was our last date.

Yup. That's one crazy movie. Try the book. It is brilliant.

Another Clockwork Orange hater here. I was also taken to it on a date. He didn't like it either. Big mistake.

No Country for Old Men........ridiculous, let down of an ending.

I did like the crazy haircut and whitish skin on the bad guy!!!!

(I really do like Javier Bardem...did anyone see Mar Adentro?)
Mar Adentro was an excellent film.

Javier Bardem plays the bad guy in Skyfall, the latest James Bond movie.

The cook the thief his wife and her lover, is the name Ally. And yes it sucked.
Other "hated-it's" of mine:
Reservoir Dogs
Crash (so bad I'm still mad)
No Country for Old Men (horrible senseless pointless depressing-why would anyone want to watch something so ugly?)
Ad some stupid vampire movie with George Clooney whose name escapes me.
I think I am most appalled by senseless violence in movies. I worry about a society that popularizes this kind of thing.

Only saw three on the list
Beowulf - It was OK
Pirates of the Caribbean - Also OK, mindless entertainment
The Exorcist - One of the few horror movies I have seen because it was shot at my Alma Mater.

Like anything, it is totally subjective. Maybe the people who put out all these unknown movies are pushing the list to get people to watch them.

And for Kubrick, I avoided Clockwork Orange but liked Dr. Strangelove, 2001 and Paths of Glory.

Ditto Sarah's comments on violence. I tend to avoid overly violent movies.

Oh please.

Apparently none of you have ever been submerged for 90 days in the North Atlantic, or on station somewhere in the Western Pacific, with the "best" that the Navy Motion Picture Service can dredge up from the bottom of the barrel.

It must've been a really deep barrel. We're talking films that barely made it out of the studios, let alone into the movie theaters.

I'll start with "I Spit On Your Grave" Do not look this one up on IMDB-- it's violent and misogynistic and will give you nightmares. (Even if you're a submariner.) It's considered one of the most senselessly bloody movies of all time.

Next is "Faster, Pussycat! Kill, Kill!" It was made in 1965 but was still floating around the inventory in 1985.

Then there's "Revenge of the Ninja". It contained some eye candy but it essentially set back this martial art all the way to the Middle Ages.

Finally I remember "Eyes of a Stranger" with Lauren Tewes of "Love Boat" fame. She was being stalked by a creepy neighbor who bore an unfortunate resemblance to one of our crewmembers.

We even had a three-reel five-finger gagger that was made up entirely of 30-minute television pilots which were never picked up for television. "Not quite ready for prime time". Not even close.

Keep in mind that in those days we had 90 movies on board for at least 90 days before we could make a swap. Every one of them was watched at least once, but you didn't exactly load out with the last decade of Oscar winners. This was a crowd that would watch "Repo Man" three times a week.

I'm going to take this topic to the "Cold War Submarine Veterans" Facebook Group. I bet some of those guys have had their hacker cards punched a lot more times than I have.

I love Pulp Fiction.
Quite a few critically acclaimed movies in these garbage bins.

I rarely go to movies now without reading a few reviews so I can know what to expect. Extreme violence is about all that turns me off. That and boredom. Cartoon movies have to be very good to get interst from me, but I will sometimes go to please my girlfriend. I figure if I don't do it, somebody else will.

Ha

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom