Join Early Retirement Today
Old 12-07-2010, 11:46 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I change the atf in my toyotas every 10K.
.... I have well over a million miles on 6 toyotas and have never had a single problem...
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I think it's a good idea to change the fluid at 30K. Some manufacturers say not to change the fluid for the life of the car. I've always done it and never had a problem.
Let me point out that no cause/effect can be determined form these types of reports.

IOW, changing more often than the manual states and not having problems doesn't mean that the action led to not having problems. You may have not had problems had you followed the manual (as LOL! reported below).

I've never gone beyond the manual my whole life, and mostly have had automatics. Only trans problems were the generic 1st gen Chrysler van (fully covered by Chrysler), and a little, very occasional slip in a Buick that seemed OK after adding some kinda 'goop' for transmissions. Would that minor problem have not occurred with more frequent changes? Who knows, but that would be a lot of time/money in all those cars all those years for a chance to fix a very minor problem that was fixed with a $5 can of goop. And wasting that trans oil seems like a bad environmental move (even if recycled - that takes energy/resources).

Now, if someone has data that shows doing 2x the manual extends life, provides better mpg or something (or not) - THAT would be meaningful.

ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
When I go to my mechanic (not at the dealer) for regular service I bring my own cabin and air filters which he puts in at no extra charge.

Dancer373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:44 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
The wisdom was that for most situations one should never have to change automatic transmission fluid, but you should check it regularly anyway. The fluid should be it's original color (usually a pinkish red) as opposed to dark brown ala used motor oil. Rub a little on your fingers, and smell it to make sure it doesn't smell burned. If it's discolored and/or smells burned, then it needs to be changed. .
OK, went thru the dress rehearsal today. As expected, it's somewhere in the middle. Wouldn't call it like new (pinkish red) but not dark brown either. Looks to me like grape juice, distinctly different than used oil spots on the same white rag, but not bright pink/red. No smell that I could tell....discovered one reason for using the fingers for the smell test (vs smelling the dipstick directly) you can limit the amount of oil that gets transmitted to the nose if you get too close to sample.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:58 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
discovered one reason for using the fingers for the smell test (vs smelling the dipstick directly) you can limit the amount of oil that gets transmitted to the nose if you get too close to sample.
That certainly got me smiling this morning.

There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is having lots to do and not doing it. - Andrew Jackson
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote