Join Early Retirement Today

2009 NFL Season
Old 03-23-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

2009 NFL Season

Only 171 more days! Go Steelers oh and they open up too vs Titans.

Steelers to open 2009 season with Tennessee

Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #2

Go Steelers!
Got back from the Football Hall of Fame yesterday. Nothing from the most recent Superbowl win yet but there was plenty of other interesting things.

What's up with those Ravens? Afraid to play us in the opener!

Free to Canoe
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #3

Just to get you pumped up. Seven is a lucky number.

Free
Old 03-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

All I can say is that I am glad that the Bills picked up TO and not the Skins. Hard to imagine that someone would be too outlandish for the Cowboys.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:53 PM   #5

Stop torturing me. If pass my exam this year, I may actually get to sit through most of the football season without feeling like I'm a lazy bum who's skipping out on studying.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:02 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

ESPN:
Updated: March 23, 2009

Steelers to lose Super Bowl Trophies

Pittsburgh, PA. The Super Bowl XLIII Champion Pittsburgh Steelers, the only team to win six titles, will soon be losing half of those trophies. After a meeting between NFL Commissioner Rodger Gadel and President Barack Hussain Obama, Obama decided to redistribute half of their Steeler Super Bowl victories and trophies to less fortunate teams in the league.

“We live everyday in the country that invented the Super Bowl.” said Obama “We are not about to lose this Great American tradition in the wake of these difficult times.” Obama’s plan calls for the Steelers, who are a successful NFL team, to give half of their Super Bowl trophies to teams that are not successful or have not been as successful as the Steelers. “The Detroit Lions are just as much a part of the same fiber of the NFL as the Steelers and they should, no rather will, be entitled to a Super Bowl Trophy as well.” Obama explains in his plan that he has imposed on Godel and the NFL.

The Pittsburgh Steelers, who by virtue of hard work, excellent team play, stellar draft choices, responsible investing of free agents, careful hiring of coaches and excellent community service and commitment to their fans, has prospered greatly during the past 30 years and have won six Super Bowl Trophies. But President Obama’s plan calls for the Pittsburgh Steelers to carry the larger burden of the NFL’s less successful teams. Obama went on to further proclaim, “In these difficult times we are all in this to work together. We must reclaim the NFL Championship Dream for every team, for every city and for every fan.”

“My plan will not affect 31 of the 32 teams in the league.” Obama assures. That’s over 95 percent of the teams in the NFL will not have to worry about losing any Super Bowl Trophies. “The worst teams in the NFL and the teams that can’t seem to get a break and win a championship will no longer have to worry about going without a title.” Obama promises. “We are a country and league of hope. We all need to make a change. It does not matter the color of the teams uniforms, the personal decisions that the teams make or their performance but rather if they are a member of this great American league.”

The Super Bowl XLIII trophy will be redistributed to the 0-16 Detroit Lions. Through no fault of their own incompetence, the Lions could not manage a victory all season and this trophy will help ease the pain of their lack of performance and give them hope once again. The redistribution of Super Bowl XL trophy will go directly to the Steeler’s division rival the Cincinnati Bengals. The Bengals who also have fallen on hard times have never won a Super Bowl. This victory will bring a smile to hundreds of Bengal fans all over the world as they can now celebrate. Finally, one of the Steeler’s two Super Bowl victories over the Dallas Cowboys will go back to the Cowboys since the league needs to provide hope in the face of difficulty and provide hope in the face of uncertainty. This is a heavy burden for the Steelers but together we can all prosper.

All hope is not lost for Pittsburgh fans, Barack Hussain Obama has another plan in place. Obama has meet with MLB and commissioner Bud Selig on a similar plan. The New York Yankees will redistribute two of their world series trophies to the Pittsburgh Pirates as a supplement to their loosing 16 straight seasons and counting. This plan will help stimulate the Pirates and enable them to regain the American Dream. Barack Hussain Obama will be meeting with the NHL and Michael Phelps in the upcoming weeks as this issue is high on his agenda for “Hope and Change.” Obama provides hope to NFL teams.

Steelers must now share their wealth and fruits of their success and hard work.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:12 PM   #7

Trophy wealth redistribution. I love it.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Trophy wealth redistribution. I love it.
Maybe we should give one to the poor Brownies. Lord knows they will never win one.

Free
Old 03-24-2009, 04:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Maybe we should give one to the poor Brownies. Lord knows they will never win one.

Free
Ah well they do have some of those old championship trophy's. Id rather see the brownies win one before those ratbirds or bungles
Old 04-17-2009, 07:00 AM   #10

Sorry to see Madden retire. I thought he was the best TV broadcaster working.

Free
Old 04-17-2009, 01:13 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I know almost nothing about football so I can't comment but I just have to tell somebody! My son scored an internship with the Browns in Athletic Training and we are so happy for him. Isn't that great?!!!
shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:33 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations to your son.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe View Post
I know almost nothing about football so I can't comment but I just have to tell somebody! My son scored an internship with the Browns in Athletic Training and we are so happy for him. Isn't that great?!!!
That's a real coup! Congrats to him. Is he in medicine? Sports management? Just curious. My nephew is a sports management major.

Free
Old 04-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Free To, he is in Athletic Training. He started out in Sports Management but then realized he wasn't cut out want to sit at a desk. Not to mention the job prospects are much better. His university has had 100% placement since the programs inception.
shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe View Post

Congratulations !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:02 PM   #16

AH! looking good Steelers beating up on the Bills.

Prediction

Steelers and "Pats"ys AFC championship.

Giants and Eagles NFC championship.

Steelers and Eagles for the Superbowl.

Steelers win
Old 08-30-2009, 01:31 PM   #17

And so it begins again. A new season.

Logic would dictate that if last season, the Steelers won it all while being hamstrung with key injuries against the toughest schedule in the NFL, then with all healthy against one of the easier schedules, they should run the table.
However, the NFL is seldom logical. This is one of the things I like about Pro Football.

Vick is one of the things I don't like. The leagues poor judgment is kind of putting a damper on my enthusiasm this season.

Free to canoe
Old 08-30-2009, 02:16 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm thinking the Saints, this year. Right Uncle Mick?

As far as Vick is concerned (and I've never been a fan), it seems to me he's served his time and should be allowed to play. If the league didn't allow arrogant, stupid, and/or cruel people to play there would only be four or five teams. That being said, I don't think he's very good QB in general. Just a stat machine. It will be interesting to see if he's been "rehabilitated" for real, and is able to play less selfishly.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
As far as Vick is concerned (and I've never been a fan), it seems to me he's served his time and should be allowed to play. If the league didn't allow arrogant, stupid, and/or cruel people to play there would only be four or five teams.
True, but the sad thing is that something like this would make most of us mortal folks unemployable for life.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:37 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
True, but the sad thing is that something like this would make most of us mortal folks unemployable for life.
He served his time, he should be able to play from game 1 if someone is willing to give him a contract. Having a felony on your record should never automatically disqualify a person from being gainfully employed. If they served their time then move on. I've worked for someone for a few years who spent 20 years in prison for murder. If he hadn't said anything about it i'd think he was no different than anyone else. He isn't really. He made a mistake as a teenager and did his time. From what i've read on here over the years, it seems like the majority of us could've been convicted of a felony at some time.

I think Pittsburg will win the Superbowl whomever they end up facing. The question is who will they face. Most seem to think the Eagles. I think Minnesota or Green Bay will fight hard for that spot. It'll be interesting.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote