Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
2010 SS Income Stats
Old 10-21-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,862
2010 SS Income Stats

Here's the raw data from SS:
Wage Statistics for 2010

So I entered it into a spreadsheet and calculated that if all those people with $1M+ incomes donated all their earnings equally to all the wage earners (including themselves), that would be an extra $1493.36 to all wage earners. Similarly, if the guys making $5M and above gave it all up that would be $481.68 for all of us. Not a whole lot to be gained by taxing only the CEO rich, or ensuring they have lower salaries.

If everyone shared everything we would all be making $39,959.30.
__________________

__________________
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Sad part is...
Old 10-21-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
REattempt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 280
Sad part is...

that 50% of US individuals make less that about 25K. I don't know how the number of retirees on fixed incomes have an impact, but I find that amazing.
__________________

__________________
FIREd at 46, 8/31/11
REattempt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:38 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by REattempt View Post
that 50% of US individuals make less that about 25K. I don't know how the number of retirees on fixed incomes have an impact, but I find that amazing.
It states wage statistics taken from W-2's. So I don't think it includes retirees. I would imagine the amount of part time workers skews the average income lower.
__________________
ACC USN-(Ret)
BLS53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:26 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS53 View Post
It states wage statistics taken from W-2's. So I don't think it includes retirees. I would imagine the amount of part time workers skews the average income lower.
Right. And it doesn't include money earned by 1099 "employees", sole proprietors, those working off the books entirely, etc. And, of course, this is only earned income, not income from investments.
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
arebelspy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
Right. And it doesn't include money earned by 1099 "employees", sole proprietors, those working off the books entirely, etc. And, of course, this is only earned income, not income from investments.
The vast majority of people make their income from earned income, not investments, so I don't think the numbers would change much even were that included. The mean might change, due to the people making their money being extreme outliers on the upper end, but likely the median wouldn't change one bit.
__________________
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.
arebelspy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by REattempt
that 50% of US individuals make less that about 25K. I don't know how the number of retirees on fixed incomes have an impact, but I find that amazing.
That is shocking. Even with part time workers "skewing" it, that's a low number.

I wonder what the average expenses are (so counting all money spent from earned income, all debt racked up, all money from food stamps, welfare, investments, etc.).
__________________
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
The vast majority of people make their income from earned income, not investments, so I don't think the numbers would change much even were that included. The mean might change, due to the people making their money being extreme outliers on the upper end, but likely the median wouldn't change one bit.
I don't have the numbers broken out as percentages of the median AGI, but non-wage, non-investment income (SS, pensions, annuities, rent income, partnerships and S-corps, business and professional) together added up to about 1/3 of the income from wages for 2004. And that's information on gross income from tax returns, so it's going to understate income from these sources at the lower income levels (since many folks don't file tax returns).

(I couldn't separate the annuity income since it was jumbled in with pensions, but I'd guess it's a fairly small percentage of the total)
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
And another thing to add: A worker who worked all year at the federal minimum wage would also receive over $7,800 in tax credits (EITC, etc). After payroll taxes, the subsidy still amounts to over $6,700 per year. None of that was included in the W-2 tally from the OP. And we haven't started counting other forms of assistance that augment the incomes of low wage earners.

(Credit to Robert Ray Cummings, Sr, CPA)
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:49 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
frayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: 19th Hole
Posts: 2,531
If the stats don't include sch. C income it really doesn't mean much as many people get 1099 MISC or operate on a cash basis and have to do the sch. C.

A better picture would be to look at AGIs.
__________________
A totally unblemished life is only for saints.
frayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
And another thing to add: A worker who worked all year at the federal minimum wage would also receive over $7,800 in tax credits (EITC, etc). After payroll taxes, the subsidy still amounts to over $6,700 per year. None of that was included in the W-2 tally from the OP. And we haven't started counting other forms of assistance that augment the incomes of low wage earners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Usually people who argue from a redistributionist standpoint are directly or indirectly gaining from government directed redistribution. The plain facts that you cite in this quoted post are conveniently ignored, because they blunt the political message- "We need, you have, government must take yours and give to me".
Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph
Here's the raw data from SS:
Wage Statistics for 2010

So I entered it into a spreadsheet and calculated that if all those people with $1M+ incomes donated all their earnings equally to all the wage earners (including themselves), that would be an extra $1493.36 to all wage earners. Similarly, if the guys making $5M and above gave it all up that would be $481.68 for all of us. Not a whole lot to be gained by taxing only the CEO rich, or ensuring they have lower salaries.

If everyone shared everything we would all be making $39,959.30.
Wouldn't have much impact here, but in Libya it is different. I read yesterday that they believe Gaddafi squirreled away 200 billion in assets world wide. Enough for over $33,000 per person in the country of about 6 million people. Amazing what a dictator can accumulate in only 40 years!
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Wouldn't have much impact here, but in Libya it is different. I read yesterday that they believe Gaddafi squirreled away 200 billion in assets world wide. Enough for over $33,000 per person in the country of about 6 million people. Amazing what a dictator can accumulate in only 40 years!
I wonder what his planned SWR was going to be?
__________________
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:34 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
A better picture would be to look at AGIs.
For 2008, the median AGI for individual returns in the US was $33,048. This comes from the IRS, info derived from tax returns.
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #14
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,890
Census 2010 information is that the 2010 median income for households (not individuals) is $50,046. Don't know if that is a helpful statistic or not in this context.

American FactFinder - Results
__________________

__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Income investing and total return investing. clifp FIRE and Money 18 09-03-2011 10:17 AM
GAO Report on Retirement Income Purron FIRE and Money 5 07-17-2011 03:27 PM
What percent of my income should I be saving in order to FIRE? nico08 FIRE and Money 23 07-06-2011 12:03 PM
State Income Tax Strategy - CA and WA Da Nag FIRE and Money 8 07-05-2011 05:29 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:40 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.