Join Early Retirement Today

Heinlein's Future History
Old 11-12-2007, 09:59 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Heinlein's Future History

Besides the Myan Long-Count calendar, the Shiete Islamic mystics also see the end of the world in 2012 ... which is unfortunately co-incident with certain extreme fundamentalist Jewish & Christian groups who also predict 'the end time' in 2012.

Robert Hienlein, in his 'future history,' wrote a novella in which a 'backwoods evangelical preacher,' Nemiah Scudder, was elected as President (only 34% of popular vote, but, as pre-arranged, with 84% of electoral votes), in the 2012 election. Within a matter of days, emergency Presidential Executive Orders were implemented (these already exist) which suspended the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, Habeus Corpus, etc., 'for the duration of the emergency.' There were nome elections, ever again. Scudder then instituted fashistic dictatorial-theocratic rule ('gimme dat ol'-time-religion'), where, if you weren't a WASP New Puritan, you weren't anybody.

Check out his book (still available from Amazon), titled Revolt in 2100. I was published in 1950 or so, I believe.

Of course, it's just a novel ...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2007, 10:51 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think my trolling strategy is nearly complete. I will pose as a woman who wants education in this 2012 situation, preferably from an expert who will immediately take me underground.

I'll use booblady as my avatar.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:18 PM   #43

I think that people like that end of the world stuff because then they don't have to take responsibility for anything because it will be meaningless. I know people who are into the Rapture who won't plan for the future because it won't matter.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:46 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh, showing my age again.

1950s: Cold War and Communist threat to end "way of life"

1960s - early 70s: Soviet threat. Kids used to do air raid drills in school and had bomb shelters both in public buildings and in private homes

1980s: Nuclear winter and the age of dried food storage. Survivalists with recurring "great crash" scenarios.

1999: Y2K and the end of all computers and machines

2012: New one I hadn't heard about this before

2038: Geekier version of Y2K

2042: Official bankrupt date for Social Security.

2075: Approximate bankrupt date for Social Security using common plans to "fix" it

There must be some deep seated need to prepare for and fend off disasters and the end of the world. Maybe it would have been a useful strategy in earlier times or in reponse to harsh living conditions. I seem to recall that a number of famous cults used that as part of their organizing principles as well. Hey, I'm even willing to take some precautions against unforseen expenses when planning my FIRE and risk oversaving.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:07 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
January 19, 2038 is when the sh!t really hits the fan.

Year 2038 problem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So yeah, it's a fun one in UNIX circles, but I'm willing to bet this won't be a problem. Just think of what computers were like 31 years ago. And mentioning that some computers built in 1969 were in use at Y2K doesn't support the argument considering what a bust that "problem" was.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:16 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
One poster stated, (paraphrase)"well, the general populace just doesn't get it, too busy with their humdrum lives to pay attention. We'd hope that more people would be intelligent and enlightened but sadly that isn't the case". Now that comment had some similarities to posts here! I wonder if there are forums about living for today or not saving that read our board and mock us
Well, the "underground or tents" debate was making me think of Ted Kaczynski posting from his prison's legal library, but this quote is more reminiscint of H0cus...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:25 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
Just think of what computers were like 31 years ago.
31 years ago - that would be 1976. Umm, Bill Gates was complaining about people pirating his software. What exactly has changed since then?

Open Letter to Hobbyists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-13-2007, 12:57 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
31 years ago - that would be 1976. Umm, Bill Gates was complaining about people pirating his software. What exactly has changed since then?

Open Letter to Hobbyists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So I blurred now and Y2K, I did mean 1969 though. 31 years before the last computer disaster date.

Well, everything has changed except for Bill Gates complaining about piracy. Well, and computers still need electricity...binary is still king? How about we bet 1% of our portfolio in year 2038 that this won't be an issue. Isolated incidents aside.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:40 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I think my trolling strategy is nearly complete. I will pose as a woman who wants education in this 2012 situation, preferably from an expert who will immediately take me underground.

For an expert, you might want to ask "star child," who is the binary star returned in human form. He knows what will happen on 21 Dec 2012, and the new center of space and time will be Australia. I'm OK with that. At least the new center of space and time won't be Cleveland.

If star child doesn't help you, you could ask the Federal Judge for the United States District Court for the District of Utah who posts as "2007." He's going to post details of a top secret trial of 2012 believers. As others quickly point out, this is just another vile example of our police state.

Good luck booblady and remember don't try to outrun the morphing EM field.

By the way, as the poster "Raphael" notes, if you graph the atmospheric Attenuation of EM fields, and compare it with the projected price of gold to the year 2012, you find that the reverse EM field graph fills in the gaps in the gold price perfectly! Which makes sense since, as the poster notes, gold is a great conductor and the EM field is partly electric. I always wondered about that, now I know.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:26 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Is it ok if I watch!
Old 11-13-2007, 08:47 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Two dollars per ticket.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:32 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToRetire View Post
By the way, as the poster "Raphael" notes, if you graph the atmospheric Attenuation of EM fields, and compare it with the projected price of gold to the year 2012, you find that the reverse EM field graph fills in the gaps in the gold price perfectly! Which makes sense since, as the poster notes, gold is a great conductor and the EM field is partly electric. I always wondered about that, now I know.
Wow. I think I served with this guy, and at the time he was saving 50% of his paycheck (and living like a monk) to be able to afford the full Scientology training after he left the submarine force.

Either that or H0cus is posting under multiple names again...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:45 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Neeeehhh....ho$uc isnt a 'numbers guy'.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:09 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Well, the "underground or tents" debate was making me think of Ted Kaczynski posting from his prison's legal library, but this quote is more reminiscint of H0cus...
Ted's at the Super-Max. Trust me, he doesn't even get to see a typewriter, much less a computer.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:36 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Man they showed that place on tv a couple of weeks ago.

Your life sucks if you end up there. Big time.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:22 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

LOL, no, they showed what they "think" it's like. I watched the same 60 Minutes. They can't get in there with any cameras. And you are RIGHT. If you end up there, your life sucks. It's not fun, but you REALLY have to work at it to end up there.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:20 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Seems we only have until May.

Spend up!

Russian cult threatening to blow themselves up barricaded in cave to await end of world | the Daily Mail
Old 11-15-2007, 08:59 AM   #58

Quote:
Somebody should throw them a calendar. They probably think it's 2011. You know, if I thought the end of the world was coming in May, I'd probably wait until late April before blowing myself up. Well, maybe April 14 to avoid paying taxes.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:08 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

So you're thinking the IRS will survive the end of the world?

I knew they were some tough mofo's, but MAN!
Old 11-15-2007, 12:10 PM   #60

Quote:
So you're thinking the IRS will survive the end of the world?
Of course they will, along with cockroaches.