2012 mania

FinallyRetired

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
There seems to be an entire cottage industry being built around the idea that the world will end on 21 December 2012. Comes from some alleged Mayan prophecy. Just put in 2012 into google and see what comes up. Here is one such site: December 21 2012, The official Website for 122112 Information

I like their official 2012 t-shirts. Guess not many of these guys are investing in Vanguard Target Retirement 2015 funds.

Guess not many of these guys are investing in Vanguard Target Retirement 2015 funds.

:2funny: That's for sure!

Politicians and religious leaders seem to have discovered that people are easier to manipulate if they believe that the end of the world is imminent. I seriously doubt that the world will end in 2012!! But then, I have been known to err occasionally in the past. :)

There seems to be an entire cottage industry being built around the idea that the world will end on 21 December 2012. Comes from some alleged Mayan prophecy. Just put in 2012 into google and see what comes up. Here is one such site: December 21 2012, The official Website for 122112 Information

I like their official 2012 t-shirts. Guess not many of these guys are investing in Vanguard Target Retirement 2015 funds.
thats interesting stuff, thanks..

as long as we're dealing with numbers..saw a bumper sticker on Sat that just said 012009...I finally got it with help from DW.

Wow, if I redo my FIRECalc with a 5 year "end of plan"....

Coach

Yeah, it opens up a lot of possibilities. We can probably up the SWR to 10% or so.

I have this image of a middle aged Mayan calendar maker, slaving away at calendars that ran to the year 3000. He gets to Dec 21 2012 and says "screw it, I'm retiring."

Yeah, it opens up a lot of possibilities. We can probably up the SWR to 10% or so.

I have this image of a middle aged Mayan calendar maker, slaving away at calendars that ran to the year 3000. He gets to Dec 21 2012 and says "screw it, I'm retiring."

:2funny:

This reminds of when I worked at Mega Corp in MO. For months we were warned about an earthquake that would occur on December 10th, 1990. It was supposed to be extreme and kill thousands of people. HR broke down to make the employees feel better by having emergency kits available...for the price of $25. :p

How did the month of December get so kooky?

I saw a PBS documentary on Nostradomas and he also said 2012 was the end.....bum, bum......bummmmm!

I saw a PBS documentary on Nostradomas and he also said 2012 was the end.....bum, bum......bummmmm!
time to start draining the retirement accounts and remember to file tax extension in 2011

I took SoonToRetire’s suggestion and googled 2012. It turned up a site that supports this belief and also promotes a book on how to survive the end of the world.

and don't forget to get a t-shirt for the end

The aztecs were a little more conservative. Their expectation was that the world would end on december 24, 2011.

Theres also a good bit of dissent on whether the mayan version is the 21'st or 23'd of december.

Now...get the scary movie music ready...Nostradamus predicted three antichrists. One is believed to be napoleon, the second hitler. The third is referred to as Mabus. Ray Mabus is the former governor of Mississippi and ambassador to saudi arabia. He is currently a senior advisor to Obama. Nostradamus claimed that Mabus would be a relatively insignificant player in a scenario that would play out into WWIII. Some have also laid claim that Saddam Hussein was Mabus.

Nostradamus also wrote a brazillion vague texts that have been interpreted, reinterpreted, rererereinterpreted, translated, interpreted from translation, etc. As far as I know nobody looked at something nostradamus predicted and said "Here it comes!" and then it happened. An example of some of the Nostradamus funny business is people noting that his prediction of the second antichrist was named Hister and gosh darn it, thats close to Hitler! And Saddam spelled backwards is Mabbas!

The aztecs were a little more conservative. Their expectation was that the world would end on december 24, 2011.

Theres also a good bit of dissent on whether the mayan version is the 21'st or 23'd of december.

Now...get the scary movie music ready...Nostradamus predicted three antichrists. One is believed to be napoleon, the second hitler. The third is referred to as Mabus. Ray Mabus is the former governor of Mississippi and ambassador to saudi arabia. He is currently a senior advisor to Obama. Nostradamus claimed that Mabus would be a relatively insignificant player in a scenario that would play out into WWIII. Some have also laid claim that Saddam Hussein was Mabus.

Nostradamus also wrote a brazillion vague texts that have been interpreted, reinterpreted, rererereinterpreted, translated, interpreted from translation, etc. As far as I know nobody looked at something nostradamus predicted and said "Here it comes!" and then it happened. An example of some of the Nostradamus funny business is people noting that his prediction of the second antichrist was named Hister and gosh darn it, thats close to Hitler! And Saddam spelled backwards is Mabbas!

:LOL::LOL:

thats interesting stuff, thanks..

as long as we're dealing with numbers..saw a bumper sticker on Sat that just said 012009...I finally got it with help from DW.

I had to google it to figure it out. I like that one.

I do to...too bad its so long from now..

and of course here's a site selling stuff with the 012009 theme

People love end of the world stories, I don't know why. Had neighbors who saw a Biblical end almost every year, at least every five years. A central theme was a paraphrase of Revelations about the same generation seeing Israel rise again and the end of the world. First it was '68 I think (20 years) then after that past, their church was quiet for a little while, then it was '88 (as everyone knows the Bible means 40 years when talking about a generation...?), that past, too (that was the first one I was aware of - they tried to warn me.). The next time the end of the year came and they were saying "will be" instead of "could be" was Y2K (pointing out 2000 years was actually the year 2001 just didn't work....until the following year).

Now they are saying a Biblical generation is 100 years, but I think they are saying something about being "of adult age" when Israel became a country, so does that mean 18? They are in their 70's now, but I think they still are sure they will see the end from this side of the grave. I guess it's a hobby!

On this Mayan end of the world site, I'm curious as to what the "survival tips" are - Step 1 - build self sustaining space station orbiting Mars...Step 2...Step 3 - Profits!

The best part about having a board sign that says "the world will end tomorrow!" is that it never goes out of date.

Wow, I had no idea. And here's more scary stuff. Mabus spelled backwards is subam. Now, if you drop the u for an a and the b for a d you get ... sadam! Well, ok, add another d too, saddam! Now, the letters dropped were.... u and b ... u b .... get it? U B Saddam! That does it, I'm getting a 2012 kit, complete with t shirt.

I guess the really good news is that we've only got one more antichrist to go, and we may have already killed him. Its all smooth sailing from here on out.

IIRC, Nostradamus didnt actually predict the end of the world. Off the top of my head he predicted events out to 3797 and stopped there. Its only presumption that he stopped there because that was the end of everything. I think he predicted a great calamity of fire that would end most of life on earth at some point during that time, but it wasnt the end of everything.

So good news everyone! Its safe to buy bonds with durations longer than 5 years!

Wow, these people are really serious, they are debating going underground vs. living in a tent.

One guy asked, "hey, how come there aren't any women participating in this forum, looking for a way to survive?" and one of the responses he got was:

"good question Shu, i belive woman are simply at a point where they feel they cant stop what will happen then why bother to worry about it.Where as men we naturally fight even when odds are against us, in any situation."

....yeah Shu, or maybe you should put down the joint and the Guns and Ammo catalog and take a walk outside! :crazy:

Back
Top Bottom