Join Early Retirement Today

2012 mania
Old 11-12-2007, 06:50 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

2012 mania

There seems to be an entire cottage industry being built around the idea that the world will end on 21 December 2012. Comes from some alleged Mayan prophecy. Just put in 2012 into google and see what comes up. Here is one such site: December 21 2012, The official Website for 122112 Information

I like their official 2012 t-shirts. Guess not many of these guys are investing in Vanguard Target Retirement 2015 funds.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2007, 07:05 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToRetire View Post
Guess not many of these guys are investing in Vanguard Target Retirement 2015 funds.
That's for sure!

Politicians and religious leaders seem to have discovered that people are easier to manipulate if they believe that the end of the world is imminent. I seriously doubt that the world will end in 2012!! But then, I have been known to err occasionally in the past.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:18 AM   #3

Quote:
There seems to be an entire cottage industry being built around the idea that the world will end on 21 December 2012. Comes from some alleged Mayan prophecy. Just put in 2012 into google and see what comes up. Here is one such site: December 21 2012, The official Website for 122112 Information

I like their official 2012 t-shirts. Guess not many of these guys are investing in Vanguard Target Retirement 2015 funds.
thats interesting stuff, thanks..

as long as we're dealing with numbers..saw a bumper sticker on Sat that just said 012009...I finally got it with help from DW.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:20 AM   #4

Wow, if I redo my FIRECalc with a 5 year "end of plan"....

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Wow, if I redo my FIRECalc with a 5 year "end of plan"....

Coach
Yeah, it opens up a lot of possibilities. We can probably up the SWR to 10% or so.

I have this image of a middle aged Mayan calendar maker, slaving away at calendars that ran to the year 3000. He gets to Dec 21 2012 and says "screw it, I'm retiring."
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:38 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, it opens up a lot of possibilities. We can probably up the SWR to 10% or so.

I have this image of a middle aged Mayan calendar maker, slaving away at calendars that ran to the year 3000. He gets to Dec 21 2012 and says "screw it, I'm retiring."

This reminds of when I worked at Mega Corp in MO. For months we were warned about an earthquake that would occur on December 10th, 1990. It was supposed to be extreme and kill thousands of people. HR broke down to make the employees feel better by having emergency kits available...for the price of $25.

How did the month of December get so kooky?
Old 11-12-2007, 08:47 AM   #7

trip down ER memory lane.

Asteroid headed our way!
Old 11-12-2007, 08:58 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I saw a PBS documentary on Nostradomas and he also said 2012 was the end.....bum, bum......bummmmm!
Old 11-12-2007, 09:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
I saw a PBS documentary on Nostradomas and he also said 2012 was the end.....bum, bum......bummmmm!
time to start draining the retirement accounts and remember to file tax extension in 2011
Old 11-12-2007, 09:38 AM   #10

I see it as a buying opportunity!
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:55 AM   #11

I took SoonToRetire’s suggestion and googled 2012. It turned up a site that supports this belief and also promotes a book on how to survive the end of the world.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #12

and don't forget to get a t-shirt for the end
Old 11-12-2007, 10:26 AM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
and don't forget to get a t-shirt for the end
End Of The World!

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:28 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Survive 2012 :: Index

There is also a forum for 2012 discussion.
TexasGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGal View Post
Survive 2012 :: Index

There is also a forum for 2012 discussion.
the Lounge Area and How To Survive seems to be the more popular areas..
Old 11-12-2007, 10:32 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

The aztecs were a little more conservative. Their expectation was that the world would end on december 24, 2011.

Theres also a good bit of dissent on whether the mayan version is the 21'st or 23'd of december.

Now...get the scary movie music ready...Nostradamus predicted three antichrists. One is believed to be napoleon, the second hitler. The third is referred to as Mabus. Ray Mabus is the former governor of Mississippi and ambassador to saudi arabia. He is currently a senior advisor to Obama. Nostradamus claimed that Mabus would be a relatively insignificant player in a scenario that would play out into WWIII. Some have also laid claim that Saddam Hussein was Mabus.

Nostradamus also wrote a brazillion vague texts that have been interpreted, reinterpreted, rererereinterpreted, translated, interpreted from translation, etc. As far as I know nobody looked at something nostradamus predicted and said "Here it comes!" and then it happened. An example of some of the Nostradamus funny business is people noting that his prediction of the second antichrist was named Hister and gosh darn it, thats close to Hitler! And Saddam spelled backwards is Mabbas!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
The aztecs were a little more conservative. Their expectation was that the world would end on december 24, 2011.

Theres also a good bit of dissent on whether the mayan version is the 21'st or 23'd of december.

Now...get the scary movie music ready...Nostradamus predicted three antichrists. One is believed to be napoleon, the second hitler. The third is referred to as Mabus. Ray Mabus is the former governor of Mississippi and ambassador to saudi arabia. He is currently a senior advisor to Obama. Nostradamus claimed that Mabus would be a relatively insignificant player in a scenario that would play out into WWIII. Some have also laid claim that Saddam Hussein was Mabus.

Nostradamus also wrote a brazillion vague texts that have been interpreted, reinterpreted, rererereinterpreted, translated, interpreted from translation, etc. As far as I know nobody looked at something nostradamus predicted and said "Here it comes!" and then it happened. An example of some of the Nostradamus funny business is people noting that his prediction of the second antichrist was named Hister and gosh darn it, thats close to Hitler! And Saddam spelled backwards is Mabbas!
Old 11-12-2007, 11:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
thats interesting stuff, thanks..

as long as we're dealing with numbers..saw a bumper sticker on Sat that just said 012009...I finally got it with help from DW.
I had to google it to figure it out. I like that one.

Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:17 AM   #19

I do to...too bad its so long from now..

and of course here's a site selling stuff with the 012009 theme
Old 11-12-2007, 11:24 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

People love end of the world stories, I don't know why. Had neighbors who saw a Biblical end almost every year, at least every five years. A central theme was a paraphrase of Revelations about the same generation seeing Israel rise again and the end of the world. First it was '68 I think (20 years) then after that past, their church was quiet for a little while, then it was '88 (as everyone knows the Bible means 40 years when talking about a generation...?), that past, too (that was the first one I was aware of - they tried to warn me.). The next time the end of the year came and they were saying "will be" instead of "could be" was Y2K (pointing out 2000 years was actually the year 2001 just didn't work....until the following year).

Now they are saying a Biblical generation is 100 years, but I think they are saying something about being "of adult age" when Israel became a country, so does that mean 18? They are in their 70's now, but I think they still are sure they will see the end from this side of the grave. I guess it's a hobby!

On this Mayan end of the world site, I'm curious as to what the "survival tips" are - Step 1 - build self sustaining space station orbiting Mars...Step 2...Step 3 - Profits!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote