Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

2015 New Year Resolutions :)
Old 12-13-2014, 09:04 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

2015 New Year Resolutions :)

I haven't had much luck with new years resolutions in the past but I'm going to give it another try in 2015 anyway. I've always wanted to speak another language (except Texan ) So, living here in Texas, it would come in handy to learn to speak Spanish. I'm sure I'll never be able to speak like a native (not with my Texan accent) but as long as I can understand and be understood, I'll be happy. Maybe that's called TexMex.

How about you? Planning any new years resolutions?
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Pinky and the Brain Take on OMY Syndrome
Old 12-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Pinky and the Brain Take on OMY Syndrome

The same thing we I do every night year, Pinky - try to take over the world retire!
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
The same thing we I do every night year, Pinky - try to take over the world retire!
Retiring, was one of my few successful resolutions a few years ago.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:13 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Car guy, we also live in Texas. My oldest two granddaughters (12 and10) are learning Spanish through a program with natives in Guatemala. I think it's called Spanish Academy. You choose a teacher and a schedule once, twice, three x a week, and Skype with them. It's only about $6-7 a session for 30 minutes to 45 minutes. I can't believe how quickly they are picking it up. Plus, it's a way for the teachers to earn money. . It's one on one instruction. I believe they have classes for all ages, even for those who just want to brush up.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:06 AM   #5

Car-guy,

Another option (perhaps in tandem with Ally's recommendation?) is the duolingo app. My 30 y.o. nephew gives it high praise for learning spanish. Although more gamification than I usually prefer, I'll probably use it when I get to the point of having time to invest....

P.S./Edit: I remain boring; no new years resolutions. :-)
Old 12-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

My New Year's resolution is so nicely expressed in this song:

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
Car guy, we also live in Texas. My oldest two granddaughters (12 and10) are learning Spanish through a program with natives in Guatemala. I think it's called Spanish Academy. You choose a teacher and a schedule once, twice, three x a week, and Skype with them. It's only about $6-7 a session for 30 minutes to 45 minutes. I can't believe how quickly they are picking it up. Plus, it's a way for the teachers to earn money. . It's one on one instruction. I believe they have classes for all ages, even for those who just want to brush up.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Interesting, Thanks
Old 12-13-2014, 05:28 PM   #8

No resolutions really, but I do intend to:

1. Continue to collect monthly payments from my former employer.

2. Do more photography.

3. Keep going to the gym. It's been 13 months now and all the weights I'm lifting have at least doubled from when I started. I doubt I'll be able to do that again in one year but I'll sure have a go at it.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:56 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I don't do new year resolutions, but my goals for 2015 are:

1) Walk/hike 2,000 miles. I walked 1,500 miles this year and the health benefits have been noticeable. I will have to keep fighting this nasty plantar fasciitis business though.
2) Sell our last rental property
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:12 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I saw the doctor this week and blood pressure and diabetes are bad again. I started the diet already but January 1, I am joining Silver Sneakers which my medical insurance pays for a gym membership. I will go to the gym at least 3 days a week taking an aqua aerobics class and using a few machines. I don't have to take any medicine and was controlling with diet before so back in control for the new year. I retired last January and got too comfortable.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:21 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

1- Continue swimming three times a week
2- spend all of my budget . I have an excess of $28,000 again this year
3-hire a cleaning lady so I can focus on other things
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:51 PM   #12

Same as CoolChange. I took an early retirement in 2006 and went back to work part-time 4 yrs later, in order to finish getting my social security quarters. I should have my last 4 quarters in 05/15 and will be retiring for good! I want to start doing more traveling and exercising next year.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:59 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Same as every year. Eat better, lose weight, and get in better shape. Probably with as much success as usual. Although we've joined the Y here and I've been doing some Qi Gong and Tai Chi, and more importantly been swimming 3-4 times/week. I love to swim, but hated doing it in Northern VA where no matter what time I went I had to share a lane with 2-3 other people. Down here I'm often the only person in the pool. So maybe I'll be a little more successful this time.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Same as every year. Eat better, lose weight, and get in better shape. Probably with as much success as usual. Although we've joined the Y here and I've been doing some Qi Gong and Tai Chi, and more importantly been swimming 3-4 times/week. I love to swim, but hated doing it in Northern VA where no matter what time I went I had to share a lane with 2-3 other people. Down here I'm often the only person in the pool. So maybe I'll be a little more successful this time.
I tried QiGong & Tai Chi but I really did not like it so swimming is my thing . Hopefully Santa will bring me a waterproof IPod Shuffle .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Try to quit dwelling on retirement!
Old 12-13-2014, 09:24 PM   #15
gone traveling

Try to quit dwelling on retirement!

With four years, four months and one day to go until I turn 65 (holding on for Medicare and that is ALL), I've just GOT to quit obsessing over retiring!

Maybe lose about 70 pounds, too.
Texconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:15 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I tried QiGong & Tai Chi but I really did not like it so swimming is my thing . Hopefully Santa will bring me a waterproof IPod Shuffle .
I LOVE Tai Chi! I used to do it and Wu Shu in my younger days. Now that I'm old(er), stiff, and sore a lot I'm hoping it improves my flexibility to the point I can look graceful while doing it.

I can't imagine listening to music while I swim. It would be such a distraction. I could never listen to music or audiobooks when I was running or walking either. I like being in my own head.

All this proves is "different strokes for different folks". I'm constantly amazed at how different people are.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:27 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Eat better and exercise more - weights 3 times a week and average at least 12,000 steps a day on the fitbit
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:23 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

While thinking about 2015 resolutions as this thread suggests, I stumbled across this article...
Six ways to safely spend more in retirement

For some reason, I followed the link just to be disappointed by yet another droll list with no redeeming value. In 2014 I have been 'fooled' by far too may of these. I keep thinking (wishing) that this article is different. Its Lottery thinking all over again.

I 2015, I resolve never to purposefully view any text that has a title of the format "X ways to.." or "X things that...."