The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has officially announced next year's inductees:

Lou Reed

Green Day

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts

Bill Withers

Paul Butterfield Blues Band

Ringo Starr will be given the Award For Musical Excellence

1950s R&B group the "5" Royales will receive the Early Influence Award.
No complaints from me, except for Ringo.

No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2014, 08:37 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Green Day? I like them, but before Deep Purple? Not Sting (who I don't like, but he definitely deserves it). Not NWA? Not Nine Inch Nails?

Obviously Lou Reed, SRV, superstars. Ringo deserves an award just for putting up with all those Beatle egos. BBB, Bill Withers both deserve it. And I have a weak spot for Joan Jett, although it should have been the Runaways. But Green Day? Who decides this stuff?
Old 12-17-2014, 04:36 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For SRV, long overdue.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:43 AM   #4

I would have thought that Stevie Ray was already in.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
I would have thought that Stevie Ray was already in.
They aren't eligible until 25 years after their first recording is released. He's been in the Blues HoF for quite a while.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
They aren't eligible until 25 years after their first recording is released...
Guess that explains why Willie Nelson hasn't made it.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:38 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I haven't heard of a few of those but as the "young guy" on the forum I can vouch for Green Day. In my opinion 2004's "American Idiot" is one of the best albums ever and that was a full decade after "Dookie", another excellent album with 10MM albums sold(20MM worldwide). They have a different sound that some may not care for but I think they are very deserving of being in the Hall with 75 million record sales.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:49 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

It' unbelievable Deep Purple has not been inducted. Another band - YES - should be in there as well.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:52 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

SRV died 25 years ago (1990) so I suspect he should have be eligible a while back. Texas Flood came out in the early 80's. The RRHF is a joke really. No Deep Purple, no Yes, No Iron Maiden, Warren Zevon, Jethro Tull...Green Day I like but in on the first ballot with the kind of snubs going on here seems like it's more a popularity contest rather than on real merit IMO.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:55 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I haven't heard of a few of those but as the "young guy" on the forum I can vouch for Green Day. In my opinion 2004's "American Idiot" is one of the best albums ever and that was a full decade after "Dookie", another excellent album with 10MM albums sold(20MM worldwide). They have a different sound that some may not care for but I think they are very deserving of being in the Hall with 75 million record sales.
I'm not saying they don't deserve it. I think they do, they're an excellent band. Dookie was a killer album, so was American Idiot, and Billie Joe Armstrong is a great songwriter. But as with all HoF's, there are so many more deserving individuals/groups that it doesn't make sense for a band like Green Day to make it on the first ballot. There's a lot of politics in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Guess that explains why Willie Nelson hasn't made it.
Or it might have something to do with him being a country star. He's popular with rock fans, but hasn't really written any rock music. He's in a ton of country HoF's, so he hasn't been ignored. Probably in the pot smoker's HoF too.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I saw SRV live three times - first time was when he opened for George Thorogood at Cullen auditorium in 1982 - then I saw him twice again in 83 in a small bar in Houston. He got popular pretty soon after that.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:23 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1. An all time best album. "wake me up when September ends" was the anthem of my recovery from marriage failing. "Holiday" also spoke to me, and that nice swing beat made it up lifting.

Ha
Old 12-17-2014, 10:45 AM   #13

I can't believe it took so long for these bands to make in. All these are great choices this year.
I saw Ringo's All Starr band and Joan Jett this year. They certainly still put on great shows. Joan's punk roots still shine and Ringo's drumming is still exceptional. Plus his fun and enthusiasm are incredibly infectious.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 12-17-2014, 01:40 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Seeing them in this list just made me feel old. 25 years? Yikes. Listened to American Idiot on my run yesterday. Never get tired of it.

I grew up with some of the others mentioned that didn't make it. Respect for all of them but GD defined their era, at least for ex-punkers like me.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Someone read this thread and drew a cartoon...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1601477_10151778540256901_1352112137_n.jpg (68.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 12-18-2014, 06:05 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

We didn't die before we got old...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:59 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Although I did my best to.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:39 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
That's great and will probably be me in a few years

The guy yell AC/DC even has the Brian Johnson hat...but he doesn't have an SG so no bonus points for that
Old 12-18-2014, 10:26 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
It' unbelievable Deep Purple has not been inducted. Another band - YES - should be in there as well.
+1
Mango1956 is offline   Reply With Quote