Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
2016 Brazil Summer Olympics
Old 05-16-2016, 04:59 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
imoldernu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Peru
Posts: 4,616
2016 Brazil Summer Olympics

Hard to believe that the 2016 Olympics is less than three months away... Aug 5 thru August 21, 2016.

Would the Zika virus make it a no-go? Even if it was a free trip?
Have you ever been to an Olympic Event?
Are there any specific sports that you will be following?
Do you expect that there will be a large attendance?

Your thoughts... Olympics past or Future?
__________________

__________________
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2016, 05:10 PM   #2
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Hard to believe that the 2016 Olympics is less than three months away... Aug 5 thru August 21, 2016.

Would the Zika virus make it a no-go? Even if it was a free trip?
Have you ever been to an Olympic Event?
Are there any specific sports that you will be following?
Do you expect that there will be a large attendance?

Your thoughts... Olympics past or Future?
I've been to 2 Olympic games and found them immensely enjoyable. Rio is my favorite travel destination and I have many friends there. But I'll stay home and watch the games on TV.

Zika is a problem, Brazil is having issues, and I think there will be logistical challenges. Besides, prices for travel, lodging and tickets go crazy when the Olympics are in town.
__________________

__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:33 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 8,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
d I think there will be logistical challenges.
Wow, what an understatement! I just read the other day that the new subway line out to Barra is only scheduled to be operational a few days before the Olympics opens. And even then it won't go all the way out there.

I also love Rio and have friends there, but no chance I'll be attending in person. Just like I declined to attend the Copa last year. Too many people!!!

But next year may be a great time to visit, after the infrastructure is in place. Seriously thinking about it.
__________________
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:05 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
imoldernu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Peru
Posts: 4,616
off topic, sorta...
Five points if you know where the 2018 Olympics will be held (no fair looking it up)
Five bonus points if you can spell the location.
__________________
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:00 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,461
I'm afraid that the summer Olympics might be a disaster given the situation in Brazil... but I've had similar concerns with prior Olympics and the seem to find a way to pull it off.

I went to the men's downhill at the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid (at Whiteface). The men's downhill is much better on television as in person you only see them wiz by the short portion of the course that you are on, but being there was cool.

I had tickets to the men's ski jumping but caught a bad cold at the men's downhill and ended up giving them to a friend. After the event these friends spent some time at the bars in town watching the US/Soviet hockey game that was just down the street at what is now the Herb Brooks Arena and Lake Placid was wild from what they told me.

A year earlier I had watched the US men's hockey team in an exhibition game at the arena and I have since attended the Div III NCAA Frozen Four there a few times. Even though it was long ago there is an interesting aura there. during one of those visits we did go over and toured the ski jump and bobsled facilities so at least I got to see what I missed.

There is now talk of Lake Placid being involved in a regional bid for a future Winter Olympic Games.... I'd love to see it happen.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:02 AM   #6
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Tenerife
Posts: 67
I was in Brazil last year and the security situation was tense. I stayed in a fairly "good" area yet I woke up on a numbers of occasions with gun shots lasting up to half hour in the neighbourhood.
__________________
languagefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:19 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
imoldernu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Peru
Posts: 4,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I'm afraid that the summer Olympics might be a disaster given the situation in Brazil... but I've had similar concerns with prior Olympics and the seem to find a way to pull it off.

I went to the men's downhill at the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid (at Whiteface). The men's downhill is much better on television as in person you only see them wiz by the short portion of the course that you are on, but being there was cool.

I had tickets to the men's ski jumping but caught a bad cold at the men's downhill and ended up giving them to a friend. After the event these friends spent some time at the bars in town watching the US/Soviet hockey game that was just down the street at what is now the Herb Brooks Arena and Lake Placid was wild from what they told me.

A year earlier I had watched the US men's hockey team in an exhibition game at the arena and I have since attended the Div III NCAA Frozen Four there a few times. Even though it was long ago there is an interesting aura there. during one of those visits we did go over and toured the ski jump and bobsled facilities so at least I got to see what I missed.

There is now talk of Lake Placid being involved in a regional bid for a future Winter Olympic Games.... I'd love to see it happen.
Wow...
I was still working then. We lived in Saratoga Springs, and used to make weekly trips to the Adirondacks... One of my stores was in Saranac Lake, and I used to stay in Lake Placid a lot. For the year before the Olympics, I'd go to the Hockey rink to watch the Olympic team work out. The Bobsled run was also one of my regular stop offs, as was the Olympic Bar in Placid... which had as an awning over the door, the front end of a sled from the 1932 Olympics. I'd sit and tip a few with some of the old timers who had actually driven a sled in those Olympics. Great Stories.

I had to work, so missed the actual Olympics, but I used to bring three of my kids to Whiteface, to ski during the winters while we were in NY.

In 1982, DW and I were looking for a home in the Adirondaks and found a beautiful mountainside home about 5 miles from Placid, with a deck the had a clear view of the ski jump. Price was right... $33K but the single problem was ... no water. The next house on the mountainside, had drilled down 900 feet through solid rock, with no sign of water... Just as well.

Memories of this beautiful part of the country stay with me still. Had breakfast with Kate Smith in the Lake Placid Inn in 1975... She liked fried eggs with maple syrup. Y'all probably don't even know who Kate Smith was, or how much she influenced the outcome of WWII.

Doesn't take too much to trigger wordy memories.
__________________
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:24 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 8,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Y'all probably don't even know who Kate Smith was, or how much she influenced the outcome of WWII.
Nonsense! Many of us were faithful Ed Sullivan viewers, and she was a regular. What a powerful (and good) voice.
__________________
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:55 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
zinger1457's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,454
I lived out in LA during the 84 Olympics and gloom and doom was forecasted with jammed freeways, smog, etc. It actually turned out quite well. One of the smart things LA did financially was not to invest in a lot of new venues and infrastructure, for the most part existing facilities were used. Sounds like Rio isn't taken that approach and will probably take a big financial hit because of it and the Zika virus surely won't help to bring in needed tourist.
__________________
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:09 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Thousand Oaks
Posts: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I lived out in LA during the 84 Olympics and gloom and doom was forecasted with jammed freeways, smog, etc. It actually turned out quite well. One of the smart things LA did financially was not to invest in a lot of new venues and infrastructure, for the most part existing facilities were used. Sounds like Rio isn't taken that approach and will probably take a big financial hit because of it and the Zika virus surely won't help to bring in needed tourist.

The 84 olympics was also a wake up call to California that helped it in getting it's air quality act together. That alone was worth the expense incurred.

In fairness , there are very few cities than can compare favorably with LA when it comes to existing facilities.


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:27 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets
YVRRocketSurgery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 340
Personally, I think some of the water events are going to be a bit of a gong show in Rio because of the pollution.


We attended long track speed skating when the 2010 Winter Olympics were in town in Vancouver. Glad we attended and it was kind of a fun experience. We thought the other activities around town (medal ceremonies, visiting country "houses", etc) made for a really festive two weeks.

I enjoy watching the Olympics. It has become a bit too big money, big corporation, though.
And while it does seem like Vancouver's finances weren't too impacted by hosting the Olympics, I kind of favour future Olympics being held/rotated in cities that have most of the infrastructure in place.
__________________

__________________
YVRRocketSurgery is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brazil Travel Recommendations? grumpy Life after FIRE 10 02-17-2008 04:43 PM
If Brazil can do it, why can't we??? janeeyre Other topics 40 05-21-2007 06:03 PM
Chavez and oil Brazil and ethanol newguy88 Other topics 55 09-25-2006 07:48 PM
Hello from Brazil Leonardo Hi, I am... 18 01-07-2006 12:42 AM
A gringo in Brazil? RockMiner Life after FIRE 0 04-17-2005 02:59 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:46 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.