Join Early Retirement Today

2046: A Boomer Odyssey
Old 10-28-2005, 03:51 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

2046: A Boomer Odyssey

I vote for "Planet of the Apes"...

"...take a moment to journey forward to 2046, when 79 million baby boomers will be 82 to 100 years old. Thanks to lifestyle habits and medical advances, they probably will be the healthiest group of elderly in history. Thanks to extended employment spans, they will be the wealthiest. Thanks to their huge voting bloc, they will be the most powerful.

So just what kind of America will be forged by this crowd of geriatric goliaths? Talk to folks whose job it is to think decades down the road and two disparate visions emerge: one inspirational and the other downright creepy.

Using the revered boomer medium of film as a guide, the first story line offers a Cocoon-like world in which benevolent oldsters imbued with youth improve society by spreading their wisdom and wealth. The other scenario plays out more like Planet of the Apes, in which an impoverished underclass is unable to make its mark on a world ruled by domineering elders."

<snip>

"During the dot-com boom, we rewarded youth and suffered for it. (We now see) it's criminal to discard the experience of the old and that retirement is a big loss to society," says journalist Julie Winokur, who, along with her photographer husband, Ed Kashi, created the book and online documentary Aging in America: The Years Ahead.

Who says SS is in trouble? As long as old farts boomers keep drinking this Kool-Aid, us ER types have got it made!

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...er-cover_x.htm

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: 2046: A Boomer Odyssey
Old 10-28-2005, 04:00 PM   #2

Woodstock - 2046

Here we come - Yipee!!!! 8)
Old 10-28-2005, 04:11 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In 2046, I'll look like that old lady cartoon in Playboy. :P
Old 10-28-2005, 04:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
In 2046, I'll look like that old lady cartoon in Playboy.* *:P
Yeah, Well I'll probably be Blind
Old 10-28-2005, 04:54 PM   #5

Call me crazy but I think it is important to develop younger generations so it is thereby necessary for Boomers to gradually move aside. This is not like the old days when we had a gap between the movement from a manufacturing economy to knowledge economy. It wasn't a big deal if the WW2 generation continued to work because the manufacturing were leaving anyway and Boomers were filling the knowledge jobs.

We are now in a knowledge economy that is still developing but becoming more crowded. I know a lot of college graduates who have had a tough time finding a job even with a better economy. It's crowded. If Boomers decide to stick around for decades then it could impede the development of younger generations. It's just not natural to me to read stories about Boomer refusing (almost defiantly in some cases) to leave the work force. I would much rather see the Cocoon factor --- Boomers contributing their knowledge and experience on a part-time basis in effort to develop young people. What else is there left to prove and how many more golden opportunities do Boomers need?

The board is full of Boomers and I am sure I will get ripped over that one but oh well, that's how I see it.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:00 PM   #6

Wildcat,

I'm a boomer and have left the workplace. You can have it!

But, think about it. Every economist is predicting that the Boomers will all retire in about 10 years, and we won't have enough money to pay Social Security and that the economy will tank. What would you like to see?

I have always maintained that the boomers will not retire in the numbers forecast and that the economy, stock market, budget will all benefit. If they all 'stepped aside' as you hope, I'm not sure that would be all that rosy for you. I say let them work and die at their desks, while they pay my Social Security
Old 10-28-2005, 05:09 PM   #7

C-T,

I am not suggesting we should experience a mass Boomer exodus but a gradual exodus.* Younger employees could really benefit from a few years of working under older, experiencer employees.* But I think at some point it is time to hang it up.* Just way too many Boomers out there that live for work and work to live.* Why work into your 60s and 70s?*

Something will give.* If death at work doesn't get 'em, age discrimination will.*

Edit - Maybe my view doesn't apply to the people here. You all have what I believe are the "right" views of work and life, i.e. there is a helluva lot more to life than work.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:12 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I say let them work and die at their desks, while they pay my Social Security
As the article says "retirement is a big loss to society". So let 'em eat cake keep working and funding SS for CT and this particular boomer. I don't know abut CT, but I've got no problem being a "big loss" in this situation.

Old 10-28-2005, 05:45 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

"Call me crazy but I think it is important to develop younger generations so it is thereby necessary for Boomers to gradually move aside" .. wildcat

Your crazy!

"If Boomers decide to stick around for decades then it could impede the development of younger generations. It's just not natural to me to read stories about Boomer refusing (almost defiantly in some cases) to leave the work force. "

These Boomers are even crazier! Should not be a problem here!
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 06:01 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
Call me crazy but I think it is important to develop younger generations so it is thereby necessary for Boomers to gradually move aside.
Would these college graduate's desired jobs be in fields that don't necessarily need to be performed in the United States?

I stepped aside and if there's anyone who couldn't fill my departure then screw 'em, let them develop their own jobs. I hear the military is hiring and there's a desperate need for contractor trades of all sorts throughout the state. Hawaii unemployment has been running below 3% for over a year.

To be fair, the attitude of "Those deadwood old pharts have my job!" has probably been around since Archimedes was pouring water in a bucket...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 06:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
As the article says "retirement is a big loss to society".* So let 'em eat cake keep working and funding SS for CT and this particular boomer.* I don't know abut CT, but I've got no problem being a "big* loss" in this situation.

Me neither! "They" will have to do whatever it is they do without me.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 06:27 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Call me crazy but I think it is important to develop younger generations so it is thereby necessary for Boomers to gradually move aside.
You are crazy.
People vote for their own self interests.

I will be voting for those who give me the most money until I die. The younger generations will be voting for those who give them the most money. My generation will win.

Old 10-28-2005, 08:14 PM   #13

Quote:
You are crazy.
People vote for their own self interests.

I will be voting for those who give me the most money until I die. The younger generations will be voting for those who give them the most money. My generation will win.
I didn't mention money as being the driving force in my response. You're the one who thinks 1.5+ mil is not enough money and I'm the crazy one? C-T may be right as usual, a balance will be benefit us the most.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:35 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

My message is clear:* I want out!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been in education as a teacher, administrator and professor for 35 years.* I'm burnt out and sick of the idiotic bureaucracy where forms and procedures overrule the human element.* I'm sick of meetings that drag on for hours where nothing worthwhile or meaninful is ever accomplished.*

I want to bail out and "pass the torch" to someone else. I'm a tenured, full professor and I could care less about staying. And when I'm gone, my expertise and presence will make the same impact as the hole I make by pulling my hand out of a bucket of water!!!! And that's how much I'll be appreciated or missed.* Boomers need to stop deluding themselves---the show does go on!!!!
education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 04:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
My message is clear:* I want out!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been in education as a teacher, administrator and professor for 35 years.* I'm burnt out and sick of the idiotic bureaucracy where forms and procedures overrule the human element.* I'm sick of meetings that drag on for hours where nothing worthwhile or meaninful is ever accomplished.*

I want to bail out and "pass the torch" to someone else. I'm a tenured, full professor and I could care less about staying. And when I'm gone, my expertise and presence will make the same impact as the hole I make by pulling my hand out of a bucket of water!!!! And that's how much I'll be appreciated or missed.* Boomers need to stop deluding themselves---the show does go on!!!!
Go to the head of the class (room). You have figured it out pretty well

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 07:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Call me crazy (You are crazy)

but I think it is important to develop younger generations so it is thereby necessary for Boomers to gradually move aside.(Just so we are clear. Boomers should give up higher paying jobs and go to WalMart for a job?)

This is not like the old days when we had a gap between the movement from a manufacturing economy to knowledge economy.* It wasn't a big deal if the WW2 generation continued to work because the manufacturing were leaving anyway and Boomers were filling the knowledge jobs.* (So where is the younger generation's innovative contribution that makes the Boomer obsolete? That's how you take over.)

We are now in a knowledge economy that is still developing but becoming more crowded. (see comment above)

I know a lot of college graduates who have had a tough time finding a job even with a better economy.*(It's called accepting an intern position first, then competing for the openings once you know the company. Younger people usually win such a competition but don't start at the top unless they start their own business.)

It's crowded.*(Try living your entire working life in a crowd.)

If Boomers decide to stick around for decades then it could impede the development of younger generations.(Not much the Boomer's can do to help if their pensions, savings and/or SS go poof.)*

It's just not natural to me to read stories about Boomer refusing (almost defiantly in some cases) to leave the work force. Uh the Boomers are still in their 50's. Why shouldn't they refuse to lose a good paying job?*

I would much rather see the Cocoon factor --- Boomers contributing their knowledge and experience on a part-time basis in effort to develop young people.* What else is there left to prove and how many more golden opportunities do Boomers need?* (Translation, I would like to see the people over 50 agree to to taking half their salary and losing their benefits because they aren't full time. Wonder who gets the missing salary and benfits.)

The board is full of Boomers and I am sure I will get ripped over that one but oh well, that's how I see it. (I've tried to make my contribution.)
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 08:27 AM   #17

Tadpole -

You totally misinterpreted my thoughts. My post is not anti-Boomer at all. I am not some bitter young person waging a war on Boomers. I even stated that younger employees can learn a lot from older employees. Why do you think I want Boomers to work at WalMart? Not true at all. I don't think we will contribute some new innovation that will make Boomers obsolete.

Quote:
It's called accepting an intern position first, then competing for the openings once you know the company. Younger people usually win such a competition but don't start at the top unless they start their own business.
How would you know? Do you really know how competitive the market is for interns and quality entry-level positions among colllege graduates? If you are older I doubt it. Just like a Bachelor's degree isn't what it used to be.

Quote:
Uh the Boomers are still in their 50's. Why shouldn't they refuse to lose a good paying job? Translation, I would like to see the people over 50 agree to to taking half their salary and losing their benefits because they aren't full time. Wonder who gets the missing salary and benfits.
Totally wrong again. What I was saying is that Boomers have been incredibly successful from a career standpoint and given the stock market returns + real estate returns Boomers should have nearly all the money they need and all the career fulfillment they need. As Professor said, life or the "show" goes on after work. 50's is a pretty wide range so to be more specific I guess I was addressing the late 50s crowd.

Quote:
I've tried to make my contribution
And so did you less your misinterpretation of my post.

Old 10-29-2005, 02:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Totally wrong again. What I was saying is that Boomers have been incredibly successful from a career standpoint and given the stock market returns + real estate returns Boomers should have nearly all the money they need and all the career fulfillment they need.
Not true at all. Most Boomers have saved little or nothing. They will keep working because they have to. The Investment and real estate windfalls are in the hands of a small minority. Most of the Boomers that I worked with in the 90's were not even contributing to a 401K plan.

This is what really worries Government offcials. It will be hard to cut Social Security, because they need it. With no Pensions, Healthcare or Savings, Social Security will be needed now more than ever.

I have always maintained that most Boomers will continue to work as long as they are able.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:29 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't have any problem with a boomer working well into their 70's if they so desire. It should be their choice. But I won't be one of them.*
Old 10-29-2005, 02:37 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Not true at all. Most Boomers have saved little or nothing. They will keep working because they have to.
I have always maintained that most Boomers will continue to work as long as they are able.
Gee, Cut-Throat, the media tells me that you have it backwards.

Boomers want to work for the rest of their lives and drop in harness because they're just the kind of gosh-darn hotdogs&applepie rootin'-tootin' Murricans that made this country what it is today.

And because of their fearless altruism & contributions to this country's continued progress, saving is unecessary. So although working Boomers could be saving something more, they choose not to.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote