Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Is 24 fair and balanced?
It is a neo-con wet dream 3 6.12%
Sorta right 3 6.12%
Fair and balanced 7 14.29%
Sorta Left 3 6.12%
Typical LW media 0 0%
24 what? 33 67.35%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

24 - Fair and Balanced?
Old 01-20-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

24 - Fair and Balanced?

I am an inveterate 24 watcher. I am also a pinko. My favorite lefty shows (Oberman) and blogs are questioning the current 24 as a neo-con wet dream. Islamic American groups are also upset. I think its fair and balanced.

What say you?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: 24 - Fair and Balanced?
Old 01-20-2007, 06:38 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Heck - I'm an old SW Washington 'real Democrat'. I remember watching "I lead Three Lives" as a kid. My Dad watched too - he still thought Nixon and McCarthy sucked.

24 - It's a drama. I liked his dad's role in "The Dirty Dozen."

heh heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 10:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
24 - It's a drama. I liked his dad's role in "The Dirty Dozen."
heh heh heh
And "Kelly's Heroes"...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:52 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can't vote you don't have an "it's only entertainment and has more logical flaws than Microsoft Windows" button.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:31 AM   #5

Well, gee I dunno.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...cstillwell.DTL

West Wing? Oprah?? Politically Correct Thought Police?
First amendment, anyone?

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:46 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I love 24, but I believe they made a big mistake in negotiating with terrorists in the first four episodes. It is the policy of the US not to negotiate with terrorists, and that is a policy that to my knowlege would never be broken.
RedHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:32 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I only watched the first season, but I got tired of seeing Jack torturing the bad guys while yelling "where's the bomb?" each week, so I tuned out. It felt like I was 1) being desensitized to the idea of torture, and 2) being taught that torturing the bad guys was a Good Idea because it yielded productive information. So yeah, in that sense it felt like a neo-con wet dream.
Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:41 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Let's never forget that this is televison and this show might appear to be less liberal than other shows when considering the majority of shows like the Law and Order series and West Wing.

All these shows (like political parties) point out that people watch shows that reinforce their beliefs.

I like 24 (I don't have a TV but read about it on the web and rent the DVDs) because main characters actually get killed and have human flaws. I guess it is the uncertainty factor.

Yes Jack is the superman of today - he takes a beating and still keeps on ticking; he doesn't eat, drink, have sex, shower or go to the bathroom. This season he is showing his self doubt. Maybe they are setting it up for someone to replace him in the field.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:58 AM   #9
gone traveling

I have a problem with a show like 24. I saw 9/11 . Been there , do not need to see some BS show about some BS actor stopping terrorists.

Sorry the show is not worth my time.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:05 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have enough stress in my life.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:14 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Bond, James Bond.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:18 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I am amazed that over 70% haven't even seen it. Rent the first season - it is a hoot. By the way, by "fair and balanced" I don't mean accurate, realistic, reasonable or anything else. It is an entertaining cartoon patterned along the lines of Flash Gordon. But it does go every which way at once. This season the bad Muslims have detonated a nuke in LA; the US is about to open internment camps; and we have already had a few "successful" torture episodes. On the other hand, Jack has partnered with a former Bin Laden who has decided to disavow terror and go "legit;" he had to kill his buddy to prevent him from killing the Bin Laden guy; the President's sister is leading the first amendment resistance to the internment camps; and her Muslim boss is in a camp but helping the US. Oh, by the way, the President is an African American (not the first for 24).

Come to think of it, the show is so ridiculous that I have no idea why I like it. But I guess if it is one of Clinton's top three as well as GW's I am in some sort of company.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
On the other hand, Jack has partnered with a former Bin Laden who has decided to disavow terror and go "legit;" he had to kill his buddy to prevent him from killing the Bin Laden guy; the President's sister is leading the first amendment resistance to the internment camps; and her Muslim boss is in a camp but helping the US.

Come to think of it, the show is so ridiculous that I have no idea why I like it.
I watched about ten minutes of it one night and found it completely devoid of any semblance to reality. Of course, I'm a conservative who enjoys most of the Law & Order shows and was a big fan of West Wing, so maybe I'm the wrong guy to ask.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:17 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I was at a small gathering recently and everyone was referring to Jack Bauer. I asked, "who's Jack Bauer?" and got astonished looks.
califdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:34 PM   #15

i sense the "thought police" have found a new interest.
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:01 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

24 feints left and right in it's overt politics, just to be tricky. It's coherent political message lies in it's sub-text (the underlying assumptions) -- that being "tough" is what matters. The ur-message is reinforced by the fact that Kiefer Sutherland is not very good at portraying non-tough emotions.
Robert the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:59 AM   #17

q) how did Bush get the public to accept him trashing the bill of rights, torture, detentions etc.?

a) by revving up the fear of terrorism to an irrational pitch. classic Goebbels strategy.

does 24 seem to assist in this strategy? suitcase nukes going off in LA etc. Wouldn't surprise me if the White house consulted with the writers.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:05 AM   #18

Haven't a clue

I'm obviously out of touch with popular culture; had to read almost the whole thread to figure out what you were referring to.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:20 AM   #19

My thoughts - I can't vote because there is no option for "geez - it's just tv".

I tend to fall on the "conservative" side of issues - maybe that means 24 is right leaning?

I had never considered this when I was watching 24. I try to sit back and enjoy the show and not try to conjure up subtle pretexts that may or may not be present.

24 isn't political commentary - it's an action flick.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:02 AM   #20

DH watches 24 and when its on I notice that they get a lot of their news from Fox news. But then again, the show is on Fox so... maybe that's irrelevant.

As a lawyer I would rather people have a fair trial than be tortured into admitting things, but that would be one long boring show!

What was up with Chloe kissing Rush Limbaugh this summer at the Heritage Foundation?

Just random 24 thoughts...