24 hours without the Internet or Email

gbstack

Recycles dryer sheets
So when was the last time you went 24 hours without using the Internet or checking your Email?

It’s been so long for me, I can’t remember!

A few weeks ago during weekend bicycling event.
Actually- A most intellectually refreshing experience to cut the electronic leash for a while :)

On the rally this summer, we easily went close to a week at a time with no internet. Was interesting to see what 9 people without phones to entertain them did with their time! Read, took photos, talked, solved at least three continents' worth of problems, and maybe drank some beer.
We all rushed into a Subway restaurant in Ulan Ude, Russia, after spending 6 days internet-less. You'd have thought we'd been in a deprivation camp or something!

It was back in January. I went to my brother's house 200 miles away in MA to celebrate his and his son's birthday. The laptop he had in the main room of his large house was not there any more, as he had given it to my dad in 2012. He had some other PCs and hand-held devices in other rooms, but I did not want to intrude into his or his wife's home offices which were in out of the way areas of his mansion. So because I was leavng the next afternoon for the 4-hour drive home, I waited until I back home before going on line, just over 24 hours after I left home. When I go to his place for Thanksgiving for 3 days, I will not repeat this self-imposed blackout.

Not even Hurricane Sandy kept me off line for 24 hours a year ago because my ladyfriend's nearby place had power and internet while I lost all utilities for 2 1/2 days.

A few months ago I decided to unplug for 48 hours - from Friday night until Sunday night. It was a great weekend. Got a lot more done around the house, and read an entire book, since I wasn't tethered to the computers. Spent some time just sitting and daydreaming, which I hadn't done for a while.

I plan to repeat this several times a year.

I've done it. The sun still rose the next day.

Been a couple years. The longest was a week in 2002, lost power in an ice storm for a week.

February in Midwest in an all electric house. DW had saltwater fish aquarium, had keep water at proper tempature, areatate water. Thank goodness for a wood stove, only souce of heat. Lots of candles. Least we were on 'city water'.

Didn't lose a fish, really was too busy to care about Internet, TV, or anything other than staying warm.

MRG

Last March twice. Going to and returning from a trip. And that was almost 48 hours both times. I do not own a laptop or other type of portable computer so if I am not home in front of "The Machine" I am off the grid.

In September on a backpack.

In October when took son to soccer game in one town, then to a Boy Scout campout in another.

Do not have a smart phone, does not fit with my LBYM priorities

I go sailing well outside the reach of any cell tower for one week every year. I love every minute of it and am always curious what will have changed when I get back. It's amazing how much news we're exposed to each day and how little the world really changes.

Fairly often for us, especially on camping or hunting trips. I have however noticed that the coverage has been getting more extensive in some parts of the boonies, a trend I am not exactly thrilled with.

I take bike trips every year and am frequently away from the Internet for several days. Not a big deal.

Last time I didn't have access to the internet for an extended period of time was 2 years ago, after a tornado outbreak. We had no electricity for almost a week, and no cell phone service for 3 or 4 days.

I've voluntarily cut way back on my internet usage recently. I used to check the news sites up to a dozen times a day and I don't anymore. I read the NYT in the morning and that's it. I'm not missing out. Most news sites are full of useless fluff anyways. I have also cut way back on emails- I sent 2 in the whole month of October. I also stopped participating in 2 forums. Now I have to figure out how to cut back on ER.org.;)

Not that long ago. We were travelling for six-nine months and sometimes did not access email or internet for two days, a few times longer than that. It was not really an issue for us.

We did a transatlantic cruise last Nov/Dec and did not access email/internet for 7 days. Not a big issue for us at all.

Last edited:
We camped in Smokey's in September. The only minor impact was that we did not know our smart phones would not work when we entered, so DW was a little worried we were eaten by a bear :) Other than that, it was nice.

We camped in Smokey's in September. The only minor impact was that we did not know our smart phones would not work when we entered, so DW was a little worried we were eaten by a bear :) Other than that, it was nice.

Smart phone signals work as bear repellent?

I've went as long as 3 weeks. I unplug every vacation away from home.

Last edited:
In June I was on a 10 day road trip and didn't check e-mail or internet until I returned home. The amount of Spam after 10days was incredible.

Last edited:
No, you can take pictures as you're being eaten, identifying the culprit bear:).

MRG

I think a couple hundred grains of high speed lead would be a lot more effective.

Brewer12345,

I agree, Elmer Keith had some great ideas. Technology today is better too.

MRG

All summer long... 2 to 4 days at a time, when I'm at the lake...
Don't miss it, but make up for it when I'm at home. :)

Just a few weeks ago, I went hunting for six days in northwest Ontario. No electricity, no cell, no nothing (we did have a device that could summon help by satellite in an emergency). Float plane in and out. No running water after the first day because it froze, so no showers. It was glorious.

24... a piece of cake. Oh, I thought you said 24 minutes without the interent. :LOL:

Seriously, the last time when I was out of town and didn't bring my laptop (remember those things?). I found the time away relaxing.

September when I was on the Hi-Line in Montana. They didn't even have cell phone service. We were 110 miles from the nearest Starbucks.

Back
Top Bottom