Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

24 hours without the Internet or Email
Old 11-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

24 hours without the Internet or Email

So when was the last time you went 24 hours without using the Internet or checking your Email?

It’s been so long for me, I can’t remember!
gbstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A few weeks ago during weekend bicycling event.
Actually- A most intellectually refreshing experience to cut the electronic leash for a while
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

On the rally this summer, we easily went close to a week at a time with no internet. Was interesting to see what 9 people without phones to entertain them did with their time! Read, took photos, talked, solved at least three continents' worth of problems, and maybe drank some beer.
We all rushed into a Subway restaurant in Ulan Ude, Russia, after spending 6 days internet-less. You'd have thought we'd been in a deprivation camp or something!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

It was back in January. I went to my brother's house 200 miles away in MA to celebrate his and his son's birthday. The laptop he had in the main room of his large house was not there any more, as he had given it to my dad in 2012. He had some other PCs and hand-held devices in other rooms, but I did not want to intrude into his or his wife's home offices which were in out of the way areas of his mansion. So because I was leavng the next afternoon for the 4-hour drive home, I waited until I back home before going on line, just over 24 hours after I left home. When I go to his place for Thanksgiving for 3 days, I will not repeat this self-imposed blackout.

Not even Hurricane Sandy kept me off line for 24 hours a year ago because my ladyfriend's nearby place had power and internet while I lost all utilities for 2 1/2 days.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #5

A few months ago I decided to unplug for 48 hours - from Friday night until Sunday night. It was a great weekend. Got a lot more done around the house, and read an entire book, since I wasn't tethered to the computers. Spent some time just sitting and daydreaming, which I hadn't done for a while.

I plan to repeat this several times a year.
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #6

I've done it. The sun still rose the next day.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Been a couple years. The longest was a week in 2002, lost power in an ice storm for a week.

February in Midwest in an all electric house. DW had saltwater fish aquarium, had keep water at proper tempature, areatate water. Thank goodness for a wood stove, only souce of heat. Lots of candles. Least we were on 'city water'.

Didn't lose a fish, really was too busy to care about Internet, TV, or anything other than staying warm.

MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #8

Last March twice. Going to and returning from a trip. And that was almost 48 hours both times. I do not own a laptop or other type of portable computer so if I am not home in front of "The Machine" I am off the grid.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #9

In September on a backpack.

In October when took son to soccer game in one town, then to a Boy Scout campout in another.

Do not have a smart phone, does not fit with my LBYM priorities
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I go sailing well outside the reach of any cell tower for one week every year. I love every minute of it and am always curious what will have changed when I get back. It's amazing how much news we're exposed to each day and how little the world really changes.
Willers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Fairly often for us, especially on camping or hunting trips. I have however noticed that the coverage has been getting more extensive in some parts of the boonies, a trend I am not exactly thrilled with.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I take bike trips every year and am frequently away from the Internet for several days. Not a big deal.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Last time I didn't have access to the internet for an extended period of time was 2 years ago, after a tornado outbreak. We had no electricity for almost a week, and no cell phone service for 3 or 4 days.

I've voluntarily cut way back on my internet usage recently. I used to check the news sites up to a dozen times a day and I don't anymore. I read the NYT in the morning and that's it. I'm not missing out. Most news sites are full of useless fluff anyways. I have also cut way back on emails- I sent 2 in the whole month of October. I also stopped participating in 2 forums. Now I have to figure out how to cut back on ER.org.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Not that long ago. We were travelling for six-nine months and sometimes did not access email or internet for two days, a few times longer than that. It was not really an issue for us.

We did a transatlantic cruise last Nov/Dec and did not access email/internet for 7 days. Not a big issue for us at all.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #15

We camped in Smokey's in September. The only minor impact was that we did not know our smart phones would not work when we entered, so DW was a little worried we were eaten by a bear Other than that, it was nice.
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
We camped in Smokey's in September. The only minor impact was that we did not know our smart phones would not work when we entered, so DW was a little worried we were eaten by a bear Other than that, it was nice.
Smart phone signals work as bear repellent?

- George Orwell

Old 11-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #17

I've went as long as 3 weeks. I unplug every vacation away from home.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post

Smart phone signals work as bear repellent?
No, you can take pictures as you're being eaten, identifying the culprit bear:-).

MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #19

In June I was on a 10 day road trip and didn't check e-mail or internet until I returned home. The amount of Spam after 10days was incredible.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
No, you can take pictures as you're being eaten, identifying the culprit bear:-).

MRG
I think a couple hundred grains of high speed lead would be a lot more effective.

- George Orwell