Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-06-2014, 12:37 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatSea View Post
I am seriously considering the Republic Wireless plan. I really need to get out from under a $165/mo Verizon bill for 3 phones on their family plan. Question for those who use Republic Wireless/ Does DATA include messaging and internet access?
Here are the plans:

https://republicwireless.com/plans

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2014, 01:36 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNU View Post
We switched to republic wireless about three months ago and I am very pleased. Bought three Moto X phones, nice phones. $25 a month unlimited everything. They use WiFi when it is available then sprint network and then Verizon if no sprint network available. We live in rural eastern Connecticut and I find the service is just as good as when we were on Verizon. There are a few quirks that we have found but for a $125 month savings I'm not complaining. The biggest issue we have found is that we can't send pictures via text message. But they are aware of the problem and hopefully someday it will get resolved. I did try the $15 a month unlimited call and text package but missed my data too much.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
How do you find out what network they use (and the info you have here about in what "order" they access the networks) ?

Kindest regards

Old 04-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
How do you find out what network they use (and the info you have here about in what "order" they access the networks) ?

Kindest regards
Sprint (CDMA)

Complete list of caveats:

http://republic-wireless.wikia.com/w...ist_of_Caveats
Old 04-07-2014, 05:55 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I believe that Republic Wireless forces you to buy one of their phones (ie a generic Sprint phone will not activate) unless this has changed recently.

If you don't object to having to buy a phone from the carrier, then you should also checkout FreedomPop. I think they have plans for either $3.99/month or free. I know several people using their service. The downside to FreedomPop is that their website is lousy and they are always trying to up-sell you.

-gauss
Old 04-07-2014, 07:08 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I use mine all over the U.S.
Besides lowering the bill, this is the feature I need...

Kindest regards.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I bought a used sprint evo 4g from ebay and hooked it up on freedompop's free service. 500 MB data and 200 minutes voice per month. $0. Voice quality sucks over 3g (its VOIP voice over data) and I can't get the 4g to work. I rarely use voice so it's not a big issue. Data works well. I'm on wifi most of the time, and voice is good over wifi.

I tried the evo 4g GPS last week for a trip to/from the beach and it crashed and rebooted the phone every 20 minutes. I'll probably flip the phone on ebay and get a better phone for freedompop so I can use the GPS without it rebooting on me.

We have DW's $10/yr plan on T-mobile for voice if we need it in an emergency while traveling.