Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-07-2015, 09:27 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
I think filling up our small house was a necessary precursor to ER. Since we can't fit anything more in our home we think twice before buying anything. Built in frugality enforcer.
We've been employing that approach for a while. Best example, I have one full sized bookshelf, and it's full. I won't allow myself to buy another book without donating an old book to make space. Otherwise I'd have several bookcases, like my parents who are buried in books they'll never read again. We do the same with clothes, tools, kitchen stuff, etc.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2015, 09:34 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think filling up our small house was a necessary precursor to ER. Since we can't fit anything more in our home we think twice before buying anything. Built in frugality enforcer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We've been employing that approach for a while. Best example, I have one full sized bookshelf, and it's full. I won't allow myself to buy another book without donating an old book to make space. Otherwise I'd have several bookcases, like my parents who are buried in books they'll never read again. We do the same with clothes, tools, kitchen stuff, etc.
... but not before optimizing the existing spaces to cram as much as possible. I have spent $1K in steel cabinets for the garage this year, and am nowhere near done.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:05 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I guess I blew it. The trusses over the garage are the "room in an attic" type. That means I have a storage room 40 feet long, 10 feet wide, and about 5' 10" tall in the center. I'll be able to put endless junk up there. I'm hoping to keep it empty. DD suggested turning it into a bowling alley.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:26 AM   #24

Midpack, I am sorta the same way, spend a lot of time looking at drawings of all kinds of small spaces and how to optimize it for the best use.
If you haven't sat down in those tiny spaces in Ikea, I urge you to do it. It helps me "walk through" some of the plans I really like, to imagine what actual furnishings (built-in and freestanding) would look and feel like in small spaces.

Things that I know I would hate: fold down beds, fold down tables, and composting toilets. No matter what, these are just not things I can imagine using and being happy about it.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:06 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I guess I blew it. The trusses over the garage are the "room in an attic" type. That means I have a storage room 40 feet long, 10 feet wide, and about 5' 10" tall in the center. I'll be able to put endless junk up there. I'm hoping to keep it empty. DD suggested turning it into a bowling alley.
Wow, that is one long garage but it sounds narrow. Good for storage. Have you considered attic lift to get stuff up there more easily? Lots of examples on youtube.

We used attic trusses in our 24x28 two car garage and planned on the attic loft. The original truss design was only 12' wide and I objected and told them they could do better... expecting I would pick up a couple feet... but they came back with 16'

We finished it off and it is now DW's she-cave.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:12 PM   #26

If I was going to take such measures, I'd just move into my fifth wheel trailer with 4 slide outs. At least then I could move to Florida for the winter.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Wow, that is one long garage but it sounds narrow. Good for storage. Have you considered attic lift to get stuff up there more easily? Lots of examples on youtube.

We used attic trusses in our 24x28 two car garage and planned on the attic loft. The original truss design was only 12' wide and I objected and told them they could do better... expecting I would pick up a couple feet... but they came back with 16'

We finished it off and it is now DW's she-cave.
My upper garage is 28 by 28. There is a 12 foot wide room behind the garage that will be my wood shop and a small dining nook off the kitchen. I specified a 6/12 pitch roof. I was just looking for storage space so I was happy with the size.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:55 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Well the best part of downsizing is finding furniture that can do double/triple duty. I got some great pieces from Ashely furniture for the living room that included loads of hidden storage. I also have a coffee table similar to some of those pics that have 4 pull out cushioned stools for extra seating when you have extra guests.

I was actually looking at murphy beds today as some of them have bookcases that include pull down tables which would work great in the office in case we both need a desk if both of us are at home.

I love the fact that tiny homes are doing so much to influence design these days and that many people are becoming smart at looking at high end yatchs to see how best to use wall space. Its actually one of things I noticed most on Viking cruise was just how well designed such a tiny space was..it really didn't feel tight even though you know your in 200sq ft.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:07 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

There are several good examples, most boats, RVs/travel trailers and some hotel rooms (Aloft & Microtel). Also some of the 'tiny home' shows on TV have been interesting. IKEA is far away for me, but I'll give it another look. But the concept isn't just about multi-use furniture, a space efficient design is essential too. I'll keep looking.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:56 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Also, some mobile home floor plans do a good job of packing a lot of utility in small spaces and are more practical than some of the tiny house designs. Our rebuild was space constrained since we had to stay on our old footprint since we were so close to the water and I found some interesting ideas on the mobile home and long home websites.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:36 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

We like Ikea's modern and squarish style of furniture. The better stuff that they carry has more wood and less particle board. Here, a local store called Copenhagen sells the same style of furniture but at a higher tier and of real wood.

We ran an errand earlier today, and my wife wanted to drop into Ikea for a walk. We had brunch with their $1 breakfast, and spent $2.16 for two with tax. My wife has an Ikea membership card, and we got free coffee. How's that for a cheap outing? Of course my wife had to take home some new kitchen utensils.

I like ideas for storage space. Surely, one can live simply, but what to do for hobbies? If one is involved in any craft, cooking, gardening, wood working, electronics, etc..., he needs to store "stuff". People who live in tiny homes must be out all the time lest they be cooped up, but in cold or rainy weather what do they do other than being on the computer all the time, or watching the tube all day?