25 Of The Best Space-Saving Design Ideas For Small Homes

If I was going to take such measures, I'd just move into my fifth wheel trailer with 4 slide outs. At least then I could move to Florida for the winter.

Wow, that is one long garage but it sounds narrow. Good for storage. Have you considered attic lift to get stuff up there more easily? Lots of examples on youtube.

We used attic trusses in our 24x28 two car garage and planned on the attic loft. The original truss design was only 12' wide and I objected and told them they could do better... expecting I would pick up a couple feet... but they came back with 16' :dance:

We finished it off and it is now DW's she-cave.

My upper garage is 28 by 28. There is a 12 foot wide room behind the garage that will be my wood shop and a small dining nook off the kitchen. I specified a 6/12 pitch roof. I was just looking for storage space so I was happy with the size.

Well the best part of downsizing is finding furniture that can do double/triple duty. I got some great pieces from Ashely furniture for the living room that included loads of hidden storage. I also have a coffee table similar to some of those pics that have 4 pull out cushioned stools for extra seating when you have extra guests.

I was actually looking at murphy beds today as some of them have bookcases that include pull down tables which would work great in the office in case we both need a desk if both of us are at home.

I love the fact that tiny homes are doing so much to influence design these days and that many people are becoming smart at looking at high end yatchs to see how best to use wall space. Its actually one of things I noticed most on Viking cruise was just how well designed such a tiny space was..it really didn't feel tight even though you know your in 200sq ft.

There are several good examples, most boats, RVs/travel trailers and some hotel rooms (Aloft & Microtel). Also some of the 'tiny home' shows on TV have been interesting. IKEA is far away for me, but I'll give it another look. But the concept isn't just about multi-use furniture, a space efficient design is essential too. I'll keep looking.

Also, some mobile home floor plans do a good job of packing a lot of utility in small spaces and are more practical than some of the tiny house designs. Our rebuild was space constrained since we had to stay on our old footprint since we were so close to the water and I found some interesting ideas on the mobile home and long home websites.

We like Ikea's modern and squarish style of furniture. The better stuff that they carry has more wood and less particle board. Here, a local store called Copenhagen sells the same style of furniture but at a higher tier and of real wood.

We ran an errand earlier today, and my wife wanted to drop into Ikea for a walk. We had brunch with their $1 breakfast, and spent $2.16 for two with tax. My wife has an Ikea membership card, and we got free coffee. How's that for a cheap outing? Of course my wife had to take home some new kitchen utensils.

I like ideas for storage space. Surely, one can live simply, but what to do for hobbies? If one is involved in any craft, cooking, gardening, wood working, electronics, etc..., he needs to store "stuff". People who live in tiny homes must be out all the time lest they be cooped up, but in cold or rainy weather what do they do other than being on the computer all the time, or watching the tube all day?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom