Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-19-2009, 10:31 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

btw all 3 were running the half marathon race.

Autopsies expected today for 3 Detroit marathoners | Detroit Free Press | Freep.com

2 half marathoners also died in San Jose 2 weeks ago, and other in the Virginia Beach 1/2 marathon on Labor Day.

2 runners die in San Jose half marathon | Recordnet.com

That's a really freaky streak, especially all running halfs. The half can be a tough race too, you run it a bit harder but usually don't hit problems with overheating, dehydration, salt imbalance and things like that you can see in marathons and ultras. But you will probably hit a higher heart rate in the half.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2009, 12:19 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
it amazed me that people run and like it. seriously, the farthest i ever ran was about 1.3 miles on a treadmill. 10, 15, 20 miles? ummm...no thanks.
It's a lot more enjoyable outside.

I can barely tolerate treadmills.

I've averaged 30-35 miles/week for the last 30 years and would run more if I could.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:24 AM   #23

I've done 4 marathons, the most recent one in 1995. Our best training was to first spend a couple months getting up to around 20-25 miles per week. Then work in one long run per week, starting at 10 miles and incrementing the long run up 1 mile per week. So after another 8 weeks we would have a long run of 18 miles along with our normal 20 miles in a week. Then we'd skip the long run the week before the marathon. My best time was 3:33.

I dont think the cold killed the Detroit runners. Its my experience that heat causes problems. Probably some hidden heart snafus
Old 10-20-2009, 09:18 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Running is a Rush!

I am 60 yrs old and have run 30 marathons in the past 12 years and hope to run one in every state. I started marathoning a minimum of two per year so that I would have a constant training program in place. It has helped my weight problem, my blood pressure problem, my cholesterol problem. My Doctor tells me if I want to stay out of his office I should keep running! I think marathoning is a rush. I love the euphora feeling I get from it. I love the competition, I love the marathoning conversations with my running buddies, I love the spectators and the rock bands, I love the outdoors and the trail runs. I love feeling stronger during a training run. Since I am addicted to it, I intend to run until I die. If I die from running, there's no better way to go than doing something I love. Two other great benefits, beer tastes best right after a marathon and I can eat, eat, eat!
Old 10-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

I don't like running road races because there's too much traffic before/after the race, and it's hard to get good parking...

Hey, Budman, what's up with the smiley spam?!?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:02 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Well, my joints can't handle the impact - my knees have been shot since my early 30s. Frankly I'm amazed that so many people are able to run - and into their later years too.

Now on these deaths - sounds like there must have been something besides poor training. I am interested to here what the autopsies conclude.

Audrey
Old 10-20-2009, 11:14 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I don't like running road races because there's too much traffic before/after the race, and it's hard to get good parking...

Hey, Budman, what's up with the smiley spam?!?
I did not know it was spam. Bestwifeever has edited out the secret link. Sorry if this has caused anyone any inconvience. I will not use that smiley site again. Thanks for the headsup!
Old 10-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

My DD's FIL just ran his first marathon at 60-plus, slowly enough that he had only the slightest pain afterward. He did it in a group with a six-month or so training regimen. I don't think he'll do it again but we are quite impressed! And he raised a few thousand $$ for a really good cause, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
I am 60 yrs old and have run 30 marathons in the past 12 years and hope to run one in every state. I started marathoning a minimum of two per year so that I would have a constant training program in place. It has helped my weight problem, my blood pressure problem, my cholesterol problem. My Doctor tells me if I want to stay out of his office I should keep running! I think marathoning is a rush. I love the euphora feeling I get from it. I love the competition, I love the marathoning conversations with my running buddies, I love the spectators and the rock bands, I love the outdoors and the trail runs. I love feeling stronger during a training run. Since I am addicted to it, I intend to run until I die. If I die from running, there's no better way to go than doing something I love. Two other great benefits, beer tastes best right after a marathon and I can eat, eat, eat!
Old 10-20-2009, 12:06 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I agree with most everything in Budman's post. It's not for everyone, but if you enjoy it and can do it, keep at it! I just don't know that I want to try for the 50 states thing, I'd rather pick a race on its merits or for its locale rather than running someplace just because it's in between some lines I've never raced before. But it's a neat goal for some. Mostly I'll run the local races, plus I might be making the one where I grew up a regular thing, and then do a destination race or two a year.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:46 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I'm trying for 50 steaks .
Old 10-20-2009, 06:30 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I had a friend who sent me an email with some info on how 'soft' mankind has come.... here is one example...

"Manthropology abounds with other examples:
* Roman legions completed more than one-and-a-half marathons a day carrying more than half their body weight in equipment"

I think "Manthropology" is the book....
I wouldn't be surprised. The body is an amazing piece of machine, but it must be worked, worked, and worked continuously for years on end to reach peak form. Our modern lifestyle doesn't even begin to get us anywhere near our peak form.

I remember watching a PBS special on ultra marathons. A Mexican day laborer showed up without any ultra marathon prep, ran in sandals, and handily kicked the butt of dedicated ultra marathoners. His baseline fitness is so high from working 8-10 hours a day of hard physical labor that he doesn't even need to train.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Autopsies Inconclusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well, my joints can't handle the impact - my knees have been shot since my early 30s. Frankly I'm amazed that so many people are able to run - and into their later years too.

Now on these deaths - sounds like there must have been something besides poor training. I am interested to here what the autopsies conclude.

Audrey
I read this morning that the autopsies were inconclusive and that toxicology reports have been ordered. I also heard that the three deaths occurred in the same proximity and I'm wondering if it had anything to do with someone tainting the waterstop.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
I read this morning that the autopsies were inconclusive and that toxicology reports have been ordered. I also heard that the three deaths occurred in the same proximity and I'm wondering if it had anything to do with someone tainting the waterstop.
That's really freaky to think there was something criminal going on. It would be pretty easy to do. Shades of the old Tylenol poisoning.