Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-10-2008, 05:57 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Soon after we moved in, the outlets in one of the bathrooms weren't working. I was about to give up and call an electrician, when I realized that they were tied to the GFI plugs in the other bathroom! So when the GFI was triggered in bathroom 1, which happens frequently, the plugs went out in bathroom 2.

Guess electricians make mistakes too.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2008, 07:06 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Al...very common for a house to be wired with both bathrooms, a bathroom and a kitchen, or bathroom/kitchen and outdoor plugs all back to one gfci.

I'm sure theres a reason for this, other than saving a buck fifty an outlet.

My house has two of the three bathrooms, the garage outlets, and the outlet on the back of the house all wired to a single gfci in the laundry room. My old mcmansion had all the plugs in the upstairs bath wired to a gfci outlet in the garage. Lemme tell you how much fun THAT was to figure out the first time I popped the circuit...

My dads "retirement community" home is wired with a separate gfci for every outlet. There are no standard plugs in the house. Never seen that before either.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #23
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Soon after we moved in, the outlets in one of the bathrooms weren't working. I was about to give up and call an electrician, when I realized that they were tied to the GFI plugs in the other bathroom! So when the GFI was triggered in bathroom 1, which happens frequently, the plugs went out in bathroom 2.

Guess electricians make mistakes too.
That might be code. We had that in all our homes the past 20 years. the GFIs would trip in one bathroom and all the bathrooms go dead.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:57 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Al...very common for a house to be wired with both bathrooms, a bathroom and a kitchen, or bathroom/kitchen and outdoor plugs all back to one gfci.

I'm sure theres a reason for this, other than saving a buck fifty an outlet.

My house has two of the three bathrooms, the garage outlets, and the outlet on the back of the house all wired to a single gfci in the laundry room. My old mcmansion had all the plugs in the upstairs bath wired to a gfci outlet in the garage. Lemme tell you how much fun THAT was to figure out the first time I popped the circuit...

My dads "retirement community" home is wired with a separate gfci for every outlet. There are no standard plugs in the house. Never seen that before either.
We found this out at our present home when a curling iron + hair dryer in one bathroom combined load with a space heater in the other bathroom. Poof! Circuit breaker took out both bathrooms. We're now careful to coordinate the use of high watt devices in the bathrooms.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:06 AM   #25
gone traveling

Saw a bumper sticker on a truck at the gas station today-

"Wiring is not a hobby- Hire a licensed Electrician"

The truck was a 2008 F-350 XLT Crew Cab 4 x 4 Powerstroke Diesel Dually with custom wheels, a lift kit, etc, pulling a new 30' hi-performance offshore-type speedboat with twin V-8 engines.... matching custom paint jobs on both. High-maintenance surgically enhanced blondes in the front and back seats...

I'd study Trombone Al's diagrams a little longer before I called this guy in.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:19 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Interesting trivia: 3-way switches are called 2-way in Mexico.

Any number of 3-way switches can be wired up so that it is really N-way.

In daisy-chained wiring schemes, a GFCI in any outlet will protect all downstream outlets.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:25 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Interesting trivia: 3-way switches are called 2-way in Mexico.

Any number of 3-way switches can be wired up so that it is really N-way.

In daisy-chained wiring schemes, a GFCI in any outlet will protect all downstream outlets.
I like the Mexican dialect for this. Technically, the '3-way' switch is a SPDT (Single-Pole; Double-Throw), and more likely to be called a '2-way' switch by technical people. I suspect electricians started calling them 3-ways because there are 3 connections.

For N-Way, you need a '3-way' at each end, and a '4-way' at every added 'N' point in between.

http://www.homeautomationindex.com/4waywire.html

Depends on the GFI - some have switched connections for the downstream, and some just route the un-switched power to the other terminals. You need to pick the right one for the right application.

GFI's were probably fairly big bucks back in the day. Or, if added after the fact, easier to put one in and protect a string rather than replace all of them, and the plates.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:34 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

There is a place near here where one road meets another in a T-junction. The place is called "Three Corners" but of course, there are only two corners.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:54 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Well hey, when someone is standing there, they form a 3rd corner. If nobody is there, then nobody knows!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:54 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
There is a place near here where one road meets another in a T-junction. The place is called "Three Corners" but of course, there are only two corners.
But there are only two corners if the main road is *perfectly* straight. Since it cannot be perfectly straight, it would be more like a 'Y' intersection, and there would be three corners.

Or something like that. - ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, that's probably what they were thinking when they named it.