Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

4 cylinder vs 6 cylinder
Old 03-01-2008, 11:39 AM   #1

4 cylinder vs 6 cylinder

I am starting to look for a used car for my wife. I want to buy a 2005 or 2006 Camry. We have only owned 6 cylinder cars but the greater majority of cars that I see advertised are 4 cylinder models. Would we be happy with a 4 or should I cointue to look for a 6? My wife does half of her driving on highways and half on city streets.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Kinda depends on your driving style,if you are the type that normally likes to cruise down the highways at 80 or 90mph the 4cyl isnt going to be up to the task on a regular basis,if 60 or 70mph is your norm then the 4cyl will be more than adequate and will probably save you some gas.Acceleration with the 4 is going to feel anemic compared with the 6.Personally i'd go for the 4 and just take it easy.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:52 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Maybe she should take one for a test drive. That's how I found out that a 4-cylinder would be fine for my use. Nothing beats being able to formulate your own personal opinion.

I have a 2000 Camry Solara, which is similar but an older model than you are considering. I have the 4-cylinder version, and it has more "get up and go" than I would ever use. Even getting up to speed on freeway onramps is a breeze.

But then, I never drive with five pro football players in the car as passengers, and never fill the trunk with concrete blocks. It's almost always just me, sometimes with groceries but otherwise no cargo. It's a whole different story with heavy passengers (though I've only driven it with passengers maybe once).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:10 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The 4's of today are very torquey, so they do scoot from a dead stop....and 80mph cruising shouldnt be a problem for any newer 4 or 6 cyl. car

The 4's are cheaper from the get-go,better on gas(a bit), and cheaper to maintain/repair/replace....go with the 4
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:12 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

i currently own all 3 types (4,6,8 cyl)

4 cyl 1992 Honda Accord - good dependable car. more than enough pep for all types driving. 5 speed manual transmission for that race-car-driver fantasy and better gas mileage. it's currently serving as the winter rat.

i test drove a Camry back when i bought the Honda. I have long legs and felt cramped in the driver's seat. otherwise, may have bought one.

6 cyl 2005 Mustang - fun summer car only. good gas mileage if i behave myself (never). 5 speed manual transmission.

8 cyl 2002 Jeep grand cherokee - the work horse of the fleet. lousy gas mileage. not a good commuting car unless you are in snow belt. very safe on highway driving. 4WD saved me from being in the middle of a car pileup near the merging point of several major highways near Binghamton NY. i was able to stop easily without skidding, while nobody else could.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:54 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

A lot depends on whether you have mountain passes to contend with, or even steep city hills. Also depends on loading. Will she be carrying 3 other adults around?

Ha
Old 03-01-2008, 01:20 PM   #7

love my current american muscle 8 in the stang. years ago i had small engine american-made company cars which were a great financial deal for me but no fun at all to drive. when they took the company car away i got myself a 4-cylinder camry, a surprisingly good car back then and a really nice car now.

though i love my big american engine, i'd take a japanese 4-cylinder over an american 4 any day even though i thought i noticed that after a few years the camry seemed to lose power, especially with the a/c running. i don't know if that was real or just my perception. since it is years later and i'm sure their engines much improved, if i wasn't still such a car nut with pretty good reflexes to handle my own bad driving, i'd get a 2-year-old 4-cylinder camry without hesitation (but for ha's comment on mountain roads of which i've only done in an 8 so i'm not one to say).

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:50 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to own a 2005 Camry with 4 cylinder engine. Was very satisfied with the torque. I live in a flat area without mountains.
The 2005 is a good choice since it has the newer automatic transmission with one more gear than the older (2003 and before) models.

The new style Camry (I believe from 2006 onwards) gets lots of complaints with the 4 cyl engine. It is basically the same engine/transmission setup as on the 2005 but the newer body style is heavier.
2good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:53 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
4WD saved me from being in the middle of a car pileup near the merging point of several major highways near Binghamton NY. i was able to stop easily without skidding, while nobody else could.
Curious about this one...since all cars have 4-wheel brakes, how do you feel 4WD is better at stopping than 2WD?
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:13 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Test drive them both. The main knock on the 4-bangers is that they have less pickup when you need rapid acceleration. But if you can drive a 6-cylinder Camry AND a 4-cylinder model, you'll be able to see if the added oomph is worth the extra cost and reduced gas mileage.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:19 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

4 vs 6 decision depends on the vehicle (and size). Not sure about the Camry.

We will be making a purchase in the next few years. I will lean toward a 4 cyl for fuel economy.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:40 PM   #12

as to extra cost (not counting mileage) at two to three years old there might not be so much difference in price between the 4 & the 6. before i bought the 8, i researched and found that an 8 depreciates faster than the 6 and in five years they wind up costing, relative to the huge difference when new, nearly the same.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:01 PM   #13

Thanks for all of the replies. I convinced her to test drive a 4.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:05 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Curious about this one...since all cars have 4-wheel brakes, how do you feel 4WD is better at stopping than 2WD?
slippery roads, i.e wintertime.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:28 PM   #15
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Kinda depends on your driving style,if you are the type that normally likes to cruise down the highways at 80 or 90mph the 4cyl isnt going to be up to the task on a regular basis,if 60 or 70mph is your norm then the 4cyl will be more than adequate and will probably save you some gas.Acceleration with the 4 is going to feel anemic compared with the 6.Personally i'd go for the 4 and just take it easy.

You have no idea what you are talking about here. I have a 05 camery 4 cyl 5 speed. Ran up and down I95 from North carolina To New Jersey for a year 85 + MPH and the baby ran smooth and strong.

The 4 banger is a excellent engine with all kinds of torque with the manuel tranny.

Oh I got best mileage of 37.4 on one trip of 510 miles last fall. I get 31 city and 34 highway consistently.

A fantastic japanese made vehicle, yes this one was put together in Japan.

In fact the service manager at the local dealer said to me the other day heck 300K miles can be put on this baby!! With little maintence. 56K so far change oil thats about it air filters etc. Plugs not until 120K. Time belt at 90K

The best car I have ever owned, not fancy but really drives well.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:35 PM   #16

We have all three as well, two at home and two "home away from home". Once we leave here we'll keep the 6cyl until about 5-7 years from now and then trade to a 4cyl. We will keep a V8 truck until I am no longer able to do things around the house requiring a hauler (or until we trade up to an RV from travel trailer)...then we'll either sell and stick with one car, or have two 4 bangers. The 4cyl Camrys are quite nice, IMO, and 4cyl Accords do well too, although we may opt for a Prius/Camry hybrid for the better mileage (still a way off in the future).

R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
slippery roads, i.e wintertime.
4WD will not help you stop any better under these conditions. Sometimes drivers get 'overconfident' with 4WD because they don't realize that just because they can GO better than 2WD, they can't stop any better because all cars have 4-wheel brakes. An SUV might have a bit of a braking advantage over front wheel drive, but that's because of more even weight distribution, not due to 4WD vs. 2WD. Sorry to distract from 4 cyl vs. 6 cyl discussion....but we see lots of 4WD suvs in the ditch around here!

No two used cars are the same, so I would base my decision on the whole car, unless I needed more power because of mountain roads and heavy loads.
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:44 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post

4 wheel drive has nothing to do with stopping,only going
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:50 PM   #19
gone traveling

4 wheel drive great advertisment. Got americans to waste money on vehicles that well are a bad rough ride weigh so much more and get much less gas mileage.

Did we all not learn to drive rear wheel drive cars and put snow tires on the baby during winter

Fishtail all over when it snowed but so what you knew where the rear end was going.

Bottom line and I have owned every type of vehicle built, The 4 cyl 5 speed 05 camry is one heck of a ride, try and find one with 60K or less on the odometer.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:03 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
4 wheel drive has nothing to do with stopping,only going

You guys think you’re so smart. You’re right, 4wd is better for going than 2wd but if you can’t get going, it’s IMPOSSIBLE to stop. So there!

cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote