Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

4 year FIRE anniversary today!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

4 year FIRE anniversary today!

Today, August 3rd, is the 4th anniversary of my retirement. Hard to believe 4 years have passed! It's been a great 4 years and I look forwards to many more hopefully.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2011, 04:15 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:22 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Congrats
+1
Old 08-03-2011, 10:58 PM   #4

That's great!
It is really amazing the speed-up of time that has occurred in ER versus working. I think that is one of the signs of a successful ER.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You made it through four unusual years--double congratulations! Enjoy the next four, and the next four, and the next four....
Old 08-04-2011, 06:45 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Congrats! Anything you've learned that might be useful to the newly minted retirees? What came as a surprise?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:03 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats! I hope to be able to say that some day.
robbridg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
+1
+2
Brett_Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsparks2 View Post
+2
+3

Congratulations!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations!

I passed my 4 year mark in April. It has been an interesting journey from techno-geek career woman to mini vineyard and container garden tender.

What is the biggest change in your lifestyle or interests ?
Old 08-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
Today, August 3rd, is the 4th anniversary of my retirement. Hard to believe 4 years have passed! It's been a great 4 years and I look forwards to many more hopefully.
So what wise and profound insights do you have to offer the working class ?
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:40 PM   #12

Thanks for all your nice words, I appreciate it. You're a great group of like minded people here!

To the 3 folks that asked what I have to offer or learned, well I'm not sure really. No surprises, I don't do anything different other than I'm even more reclusive than when I worked. I'm pretty frugal and enjoy doing what I want when I want or more often doing what I have to do when I want! Gardening can really put demands on your time if you have a good sized garden and keep up with it. I have been reading a little more but lately I can't get hardly any reading done. As most will say, I'm so busy I have no idea how I ever managed to work and do things before! One thing that changed is I walk 2 miles on the treadmill every day and I make time for that even though it eats up an hour by the time I'm done and take a 12 minute break. I tape more TV shows because I can watch them the next morning, today I taped a Lillian Gish silent movie and that's something I never would have had the time to watch when working. With things as busy here as they are, I might not be able to watch it until the weekend!

To those still working just the usual LBYM and save as much as you can advice. Having a small but reasonable pension (no COLA) with retiree medical benefits that I pay for allowed me to FIRE, without that I wouldn't have been willing to do it. I worked in the private sector and i consider myself very fortunate to have been able to get out because things are so much harder and stressful now than 4 years ago.

I remember coming home that day and realizing that I did not have to go to work on Monday. That was perhaps one of the most profound moments in my life, hard to explain but it was such an amazing feeling!

Sadly I have gotten used to this, each Sunday night is no longer a big deal because I don't have to go to work on Monday. I try to remember just how lucky I am and NOT take for granted this wonderful gift I cherish. I do often stop and think how much I am enjoying being retired and try to not forget just how lucky I am. I am very healthy and have enough money to live worry free, hard to ask for more than that really.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:40 AM   #13
gone traveling

Congrats and wishing you many more to come, good job (pun intended)
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote