Join Early Retirement Today

401k administrator conflict of interest?
Old 03-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

401k administrator conflict of interest?

So the company 401k is administered and managed by John Hancock via the owner / owner's son. The fees for funds start at 1% for Vanguard S&P 500 to over 1.5% for any options. The company employs 100+ employees and I've always worked for this size company.

In my past experience, I've paid a tiny amount for any S&P 500 fund in any 401k and never 1.42% in a guaranteed cash option (current fee).

It just seems like a very onerous fee structure and it's suspicious that the owner's son is likely benefiting from this. Any opinions here?

She is a silent owner, currently run by another son of the deceased owner. She also is part of the investment management...
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2017, 10:22 AM   #2

What kind of company match do they give you?
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:24 AM   #3

One of my previous company was sued in a class action suit for similar things but I only got a measly check, less than$100. So what can you do? Can you find another job?
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:27 AM   #4

1%.

If it were 3-6% I'd not think much of it. 1% more in fees than I should pay annually on my balance can get pricey as I prefer to take full advantage of it. After 2 years, I'm paying them $340 in fees. After 10 years, I'm expecting that to be $2,500-3000+ annually.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #5

Another job, yes. Lots of red tape to deal with. I like my j*b for the most part. I just don't like the fox in the hen house idea.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Smells fishy. What's the match? Just get that and use your Roth-IRA and taxable accounts.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Smells fishy. What's the match? Just get that and use your Roth-IRA and taxable accounts.
1% match...I think the IRA is the way we'll go for now. Just can't bring myself to enriching people I don't know for a basic service...
Old 03-12-2017, 11:23 AM   #8

IMO, in a small closely held company , you are stuck. Ya, the fees add up over time, and there might be violations.

If things are fishy with owners who are the management, look for another job.

If you are dissatisfied with the company , your feelings will grow worse , not better with time.

Want to raise a stink about it ?, hire a law firm with a $$$$$$ retainer ?

About the only sure outcome will be loosing your job one way or another .
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:25 AM   #9

I agree, just go up to the match, and then use low cost funds for your IRA. Is there a way you can pass along your feedback on the 401(k) fees to someone as they are too high.
iloveyoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:25 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

IRA is the way to go unless the IRA contribution limits are too limiting for you.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:26 AM   #11

Maybe a stink when I'm ready to call it quits in hopes of a claw back payoff...not really worried about it for now as I can, at least, control how much I pay in relation to the tax deferral benefit. 1st world problems, right?
Old 03-12-2017, 11:27 AM   #12

Yeah, I'll definitely work on the IRA options and reduce the 401k amounts to take full advantage of these...
Old 03-12-2017, 11:41 AM   #13

I did mention it to the HR person in charge. She's only in charge to the limit allowed by the current owner, I'm sure. The cookie cutter response told me to "go back to my cubicle, they have it under control"...I have bigger things to worry about, this is just a fly buzzing around my head for now.